No announcement yet.

Wwi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a little something unusual. I'm 36 years old. My grandfather fought in WWI. He was born in 1895 and was 44 when my father was born, my father was 43 when i was born. Obviously he is long passed, but Ive heard a story about them in France entering a city with a dead mule laying on the side of the road, then about a week later coming back, cutting it up cooking it and eating it, because there was nothing else. My mom told my girls this story just the other day, and reminded them that he ate everything she ever served him and always was thankful for it. Those guys were a special group. Proud that my grandpa was one of them.

Comment

I fly about 3-4 times a month. Dan Carlin’s podcast on wwi filled many travel hours in the sky. Fantastic account of what I would consider an almost forgotten war.

Comment

Stumbled across this the other day and was blown away

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
          I have a little something unusual. I'm 36 years old. My grandfather fought in WWI. He was born in 1895 and was 44 when my father was born, my father was 43 when i was born. Obviously he is long passed, but Ive heard a story about them in France entering a city with a dead mule laying on the side of the road, then about a week later coming back, cutting it up cooking it and eating it, because there was nothing else. My mom told my girls this story just the other day, and reminded them that he ate everything she ever served him and always was thankful for it. Those guys were a special group. Proud that my grandpa was one of them.
          This is what gets me about how tough these men were. Imagine fighting days upon days, weeks, months with VERY little to eat. Days without sleep, eating rotten meat like you said above. Its no wonder a lot succumbed to "shell shock". I mean there is only so much the body/mind can take before it snaps. God Bless those men, on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
            Stumbled across this the other day and was blown away

https://mobile.twitter.com/paulmmcoo...082176?lang=en
            Holy crap, even after a hundred years have passed, the land still shows the signs of those battles. Sad to think how many bodies remained in that land and never made it home to their loved ones to be laid to rest. Has to be thousands upon thousands that never were cleared from the battle field and brought back just in this area.

Comment

I’ve got several WWl weapons (rifles and pistols) and bayonets, but my most prized WWl item is my Grandfather Tex’s doughboy helmet from the Great War.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                I’ve got several WWl weapons (rifles and pistols) and bayonets, but my most prized WWl item is my Grandfather Tex’s doughboy helmet from the Great War.
                We need pics!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                  Been learning more about WWI as of late.

My word, all warfare is brutal but what those guys went through was absolute horrid.

The letters written home before the whistle for their turn to exit the trenches will make you want to kiss your loved ones. Heartbreaking!

It was really the first time humanity had mass killing machines in abundance and a good portion of the world was firing them at each other at a staggering rate of millions of rounds per day (at various battles).

God bless those men that gave up their lives for country. Certainly better than I.

Anyone have from stories from great grandparents? Would be interesting to hear, especially at what battle etc.
                  You must have listened to DC's hardcore episode on this since yesterday you mentioned you were almost done. The man does a good job telling history!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    You must have listened to DC's hardcore episode on this since yesterday you mentioned you were almost done. The man does a good job telling history!
                    Yep, this is one of the last series I have left from DC.

Since I started it a few weeks back I have been reading up about alot of the battles mention on the cast. WWI was always something I learned just enough about to be able to answer questions on a test but never dug into like here as of late.

Comment

Working...
                    X