Ellis County Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellis County Deer

Had the shock of my life today!!! I was picking up the kids from daycare bout 4:45pm in Midlothian and was driving down 875 before McAlpine and saw a 6 pt buck on the south side of the road. If someone would have told me there were deer anywhere close to Midlothian, I'd have called them a liar prior to tonight.

Few pockets of some good private land out there that have some good deer

Comment

I had ground in Rockett some pretty nice deer there not many but neighbor shot a big ten several years ago

Comment

The deer population seems to be steady growing around Maypearl. Wish I could get access to some of the land around me to hunt on. Seen some really nice deer just down the road over the last few years.

Comment

I hunt some here in Ellis County and there are some really good bucks in the area. There was a large axis hit off of 875 a few months back.

Comment

An axis?? Where? Pics?

Comment

i live about 1.5-2mi. north of there in the saddleback neighborhood. a couple of neighbors have told me they see a deer or 2 occasionally just outside the neighborhood. i have seen turkey over off of skinner road just north of 875. and i have seen a dead pig on 875 near mcalpin.

Comment

I've seen a handful of deer in Maypearl and Waxahachie, just never had the opportunity to hunt out there.

Comment

Search some of my past threads. I shot 155/152/149/ and this year an 8 with my bow. All over Ellis/Dallas county (this years 8). LOTS of good deer pockets around Ellis. Not very many deer but some good ones. I had a place in Mildred I always wanted to hunt but never got the chance too.

Couple good areas that have a steady population of Red Deer too.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                    Search some of my past threads. I shot 155/152/149/ and this year an 8 with my bow. All over Ellis/Dallas county (this years 8). LOTS of good deer pockets around Ellis. Not very many deer but some good ones. I had a place in Mildred I always wanted to hunt but never got the chance too.

Couple good areas that have a steady population of Red Deer too.
                    Ever see any around Italy and Milford? I noticed you mentioned Mildred in Navarro County. Have been watching for them in that area. There has to be some on the outskirts where CRP land and brushy areas around the creeks.

Comment

Yes. Italy has a small herd of the Red Deer. Very few whitetail though. Sorry meant Milford. Yes I did hog control on a guys farm out that way and there was some good deer in the farm grounds and along the creek. There was about 3-400 acres of woods along the creek that bordered the farm ground and they leased that out for deer hunting.

Comment

Ellis County

I knew some deer were around the Sardis area just south of 287. Without much hunting pressure they should continue to expand the range espicially along creeks that offer cover, water and safer travels.

I had always thought around the Rockett area might hold some deer as well. I guess this thread confirmed my hunch!

Also the area from Milford north to Maypearl holds some really nice deer, turkey, hogs, etc. A place of 250 acres has been for sale for awhile, the game pictures are nice! Problem is they want $1 million for the ranch, lol! Maybe if I win the lotto...

Comment

I need to find one of these "secret" spots!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sroswat View Post
                            I need to find one of these "secret" spots!!!!
                            let me know when you do.

Comment

Had a nice 10pt killed by a car on Monday around Rankin. I had a few on camera last year behind my place.

Comment

Working...
                              X