MIG welder help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIG welder help

I was given this welder a few years ago. I wired in a 230V circuit but I have never hooked it up. I have done some Oxy/Acy RG45 stuff and some brazing but I have never done any arc welding at all. I read a book and watched a few Youtube videos. I am trying to set this machine up. I am having trouble figuring out the shielding gas system. There is a regulator with a hose that has a brass fitting on the end but the machine only has a clear plastic tubing going into it. Am I missing a piece? The machine is labeled a Solar 2160. It appears to be a Century 117-067 model. I will try to get some photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

you need a bottle of 75/25 gas, and get ready to pay, check the welding tips, wire size, They w/ a lil work, can build a lot of toys...

Comment

I can pick up the gas locally but how to I get the gas through the brass regulator I have into the plastic tube that goes into the machine?

Comment

Use 100% CO2 instead of 75/25. Lasts much longer and much cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

How can I get the CO2 into the machine with the setup I have? Is there a piece I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              How can I get the CO2 into the machine with the setup I have? Is there a piece I am missing?
              Have to change to nipple on the flow gauge. And screw it to a co2 bottle which can be rented monthly or yearly from and welding supply company.

Comment

Thank you. So I just need to purchase a pipe fitting to barbed connection for my setup?

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                  Thank you. So I just need to purchase a pipe fitting to barbed connection for my setup?
                  That's what it looks like on the welder end. Then change nipple out on flow meter to fit co2 bottle.

Comment

Get a good regulator. I use 75/25 but I’m just a hobby welder. Buy the bottle, I did years ago and saved $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy the bottle, it is cheaper then renting and when you run out you just swap the bottle for a full one.

I think all your missing is the valve to the bottle. I think the hose should thread directly into the back of your welder, is there no threaded port for the black hose in the back of the machine? I’m trying to recall what’s on the back of mine, I have a Hobart and I don’t recall using a clear hose.

Comment

If you look at my first picture you can see the regulator that attaches to the bottle. My second picture shows the flexible tubing that goes into the back of the machine. I think I can get a brass fitting that will connect the two? For my use I may just try some flux core wiring. If I actually use this machine it will be welding broken pieces of metal together and maybe working on a camping trailer. Any reason I need to go the shielding gas route?
                        Last edited by thegrouse; 02-25-2018, 08:16 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Load your welder up and take it to the welding supply company. They should be able to get you the items you need to make it work and you'll only have to make one trip.

Comment

I got this thing feeding wire now. Looks like solid wire. Is this brass piece on the opposite end of the whip from welding tip supposed to be held in with Allen set screw? Here is a photo from the back of the machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

To answer your first question. Your hose on the regulator is likely a 5/8"x18 male. You need a 5/8"x18 female/ Barb adapter fitting. Take both hoses into a welding store and they can hook you up with the adapter. Or if you know the exact size of the threads and the ID of the clear hose, you can easily find the adapter online.

Comment

Working...
                              X