What's wrong with my new Rem 257 wby mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with my new Rem 257 wby mag

I went to the range this morning to sight in my brand new Remington 257 wby magnum. I fired the first round and lifted the bolt but couldn't pull it back. I placed a rag on the bolt handle and lightly tapped it and it became unstuck. Tried another round, same thing. Thinking it may be my bullets I tried one of my buddies and the same outcome. At that point I put the rifle back in the case. I was firing new Weatherby 100 grain spitzers.

It cycles live rounds fine. I did try to put the empty brass back in and close the bolt but it wouldn't close.

Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas what may cause this?

I'm going to follow this one closely. I'm sure some of the experts here will have a good idea.

Comment

Sounds like you might have a tight barrel bore thus creating high pressure. If not check your chamber to make sure that is clean and no oils that would cause your casing to stick to your chamber.

High pressure can cause you fired shell to stick to the chamber walls. A dirty chamber can at times act like high pressure. Check you primer for overly flattened and cratering around the firing pin indentation...signs of high pressure. If the primers are backed out a little you might have a headspace problem. If the primer shows no signs of high pressure then clean your chamber.

The other possibility is that you might have a rough cut chamber, if there are no signs of high pressure. Check your fired shell casing for rough chamber marks, look into the chamber for rough reamer cut marks using a good bright flashlight.

Have a good gunsmith look at it for you.

GILBERT
      Last edited by GILBERT; 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GILBERT View Post
        Sounds like you might have a tight barrel bore thus creating high pressure. If not check your chamber to make sure that is clean and no oils that would cause your casing to stick to your chamber.

High pressure can cause you fired shell to stick to the chamber walls. A dirty chamber can at times act like high pressure. Check you primer for overly flattened and cratering around the firing pin indentation...signs of high pressure. If the primers are backed out a little you might have a headspace problem. If the primer shows no signs of high pressure then clean your chamber.

The other possibility is that you might have a rough cut chamber, if there are no signs of high pressure. Check your fired shell casing for rough chamber marks, look into the chamber for rough reamer cut marks using a good bright flashlight.

Have a good gunsmith look at it for you.

GILBERT
        Gilbert- my buddy is a clean freak and cleaned the barrel and dry patched it so I think I'm ok there. I did notice marks on the brass and they are consistent. A very thin scratch all the way down the brass and a small area of scuffing at the shoulder of the brass. I think you're right on the money about rough reamer cut marks. I'll shine a light in the chamber and check. That's for the help sir!!

Comment

is it a remington rifle?

Comment

Sounds like maybe a burr in the chamber and when the brass expands from the shot it is sticking to the chamber. But I am no expert.

Comment

How much powder ya using? High pressure can do that to you as well as Gilbert said. Factory ammo has a tendency to be loaded hot sometimes if that's what you're using.
              Last edited by kck; 01-26-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Hand loads or factory?

Comment

Sounds like a tight chamber. Maybe head space. Contact the manufacturer.

Comment

Take it back to the shop you bought it at with your empty brass. They will send it back to Remington to correct the problem. I had they same thing happen with a Remington 7mm stw and it was a tight chamber. It was fixed at no cost to me. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                      is it a remington rifle?
                      Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                        How much powder ya using? High pressure can do that to you as well as Gilbert said. Factory ammo has a tendency to be loaded hot sometimes if that's what you're using.
                        I have idea how much powder, factory load.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                          Hand loads or factory?
                          Factory load

Comment

Originally posted by large car View Post
                            Take it back to the shop you bought it at with your empty brass. They will send it back to Remington to correct the problem. I had they same thing happen with a Remington 7mm stw and it was a tight chamber. It was fixed at no cost to me. Good luck.
                            X2. I work for a gunshop. The shop should take it back and either send it in for you or replace it with a new gun. That's our policy.

Comment

Originally posted by large car View Post
                              That's my plan. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X