Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who all hunts Rancho de Tinaja outa Brackettville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who all hunts Rancho de Tinaja outa Brackettville?

Saw that there were a few openings so I called and talked to David Price. He seemed like a real nice fella and wants me to come out to check the place out. He sent me some pics of past bowkills and I recognized a couple of the guys from here on TBH but couldn't really put names with the pics. Just wanted to know if anyone hunts it and what y'all think. Would really like to grab a spot or two stricktly for bowhunting. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by kck; 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM.

If I remember correct I think that's the place ... Archery1st, Cull and Hammer63 is on.

Comment

This will be the 3rd year for my wife (PA2TX) and I to hunt with David. Archery1st, Cull, jamesl are other TBHers on the ranch. I don't see myself leaving that ranch for a long time (barring any events out of my control).

Comment

Double post...
        Last edited by Archery1st; 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I hunted with David for 4-5 yrs 1996-2000. Back then every thing was community and we slung corn only..on natural browse we killed a couple deer in the 50's and the year before one of my buddies killed a typical 12 that scored 168 and netted 165 on the neighboring ranch, that deer lived on Tinaja.

I left for a while and hunted all over South Texas and Mexico and killed a few more good deer. Three yrs ago i decided to get back on Tinaja as i have a daughter that is getting to the age she may want to hunt and you would be hard pressed to find a more family friendly ranch. David is a rare breed as a land owner he loves to hunt and i got him into bowhunting..he is honest and overly fair.

Two years ago I killed my best deer to date anywhere in a part of Texas not known for exceptional deer. I know the ranch as well as anyone and big deer have come from all over it. There is no one place that is better than another. If you feed it they will come.

A good deer is a solid 140 class 8 or 10...a great deer is a 150 class 10 or 12...and and exceptional deer will be 160 or better..biggest deer to date for the ranch was killed 2 years ago and scored 184. It was a typical 10 With an extra beam and a lot of extras.
          Last edited by Archery1st; 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Ten four, thanks for the info. gents. Archery1st, yessir David said y'all are good buddies and he sounds like a great fella. One of the pics he sent me was one of your deer. Think I'm gonna take a ride out there in a couple weeks to check it out. He said he hasn't been filling all of the spots in the last couple years but he also said that a number of fellas also buy multiple spots. Wouldn't mind getting a couple myself. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
              Wouldn't mind getting a couple myself. Any thoughts on this?
              Getting multiple spots is a good idea, but it is also a lot of work. Know that feeding protein year round is a requirement. More spots just means more time and money.

Comment

Bruce, Are y'all gonna let Steve shoot a big one this year?

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                  Ten four, thanks for the info. gents. Archery1st, yessir David said y'all are good buddies and he sounds like a great fella. One of the pics he sent me was one of your deer. Think I'm gonna take a ride out there in a couple weeks to check it out. He said he hasn't been filling all of the spots in the last couple years but he also said that a number of fellas also buy multiple spots. Wouldn't mind getting a couple myself. Any thoughts on this?
                  You will be hard pressed to find a better hunter to acre ratio out there. Getting two spots is a big plus. There are alot of 150 deer killed off this place. 150 deer are really big deer. Just let them get to 5.5 and older and you will have 145+deer in your area every year. Not to mention big management deer and lots of culls. Making it great for family to hunt.

Comment

Yessir, sounds like it's a dang fine place to be on. Hunted for years down south and we actually tried to get the deer to 6.5 if possible just to make sure they pushed out all the bone they could so I'm glad to hear from y'all, as well as David, that he has a good management program going. Looking forward to getting out there and checking it out.

Comment

just be prepared for rocky roads. they have some. but the deer are their

Comment

Working...
                      X