Cast Nets... What to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Nets... What to Buy?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get a cast net here pretty soon and came to find out there's quite the price range on these things. Is it worth getting a higher end one, or is the cheapest thing the best? Also, what size is generally the best? I've never thrown one, but is a 6 footer really that much harder to use than a 3 or 4 footer? I'll be using it mainly in North Tx in creeks and lakes, catching bait I guess but also I just like to mess with the little fish lol. Any recommendations or tips/tricks would be appreciated.

If I'm just catching perch and such I like a 4 footer, it is a bit easier to get in tight places. The best I have found for the money are the ones from Academy, the Wall Mart ones are junk. The high end ones are better and easier to throw, but to me if you are not out in open water and using it alot it is not worth the cost.

Comment

I believe the limit in Texas is still 14 feet in diameter, so that would be a 7 footer. takes one heck of a cast to get one that big to open, and you had better be on a boat to get it out there. The best sizes seem to be a 3 or 4 footer. They throw easier and are plenty big for getting bait. I like 1/2" mesh for minnows. Hint: Don't ever throw one around oysters!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
        If I'm just catching perch and such I like a 4 footer, it is a bit easier to get in tight places. The best I have found for the money are the ones from Academy, the Wall Mart ones are junk. The high end ones are better and easier to throw, but to me if you are not out in open water and using it alot it is not worth the cost.
        This... Summed it up.

Comment

Small bait order a 1/4" on line. Pricey too. 3/8" makes a huge difference but I like a mono net in blue. It cathes good bait for the coast. Go smaller until know your ability. Not that easy to get a good open thow. I would start at 4'. It might open to about 5' even being 8' on paper. And cheap as possible as they self destruct just looking at em!!!!

Comment

I like 6 ft radius but I have used them for a long time. I also prefer mono as it sinks good. Much easier to remove catfish from them. Yjust wet it before using.

Comment

and after you nuke it fairly quickly, keep the weights. They make excellent slip weights for bottom fishing.

Comment

A smaller one will be much easier to learn with. But you may miss a lot more bait with it vs a larger one. Also, your more likely to get a larger one hung up than a smaller one. Getting one unhung is not always possible from the bank, only to sometimes rip a hole to get it loose. Or go swimming. A boat is a different story.

I keep a smaller one for creeks and rivers with a current. And a larger one for more open water.

I've found the nylon nets are much more limber. And the monofilament nets seem to open much more easily being stiffer. But what ever you get, be sure to hang them to dry after use. Helps keep them from molding (nylon) or creating a "memory" (as with the mono).

They also come with different weights on the perimiter. The heavier, the faster it will sink thus increasing your chance of catching bait. However, throwing a lot of weight repeatedly, will wear ya out.

As for throwing, there are several techniques. Youtube is full of them.

Comment

Make sure the net has actual lead weights, some nets are made by Obama lovers, no lead

Comment

I like a 6’ mono, but I have been throwing since I was a kid. Sinks faster than nylon, and easier to repair. You may want to start with a 4’ if you have never thrown one. Make sure you get a pound of weight per foot. You will miss less bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                      Make sure the net has actual lead weights, some nets are made by Obama lovers, no lead
                      Lead weighted nets are extremely hard to find now.

Comment

Get an American cast net. Ive got a Mexican one. It folds up like a taco shell when i try to throw it.

Comment

Start small and cheap. Once you get good at throwing go bigger. 5' is a good size. 6' is better if you know you can catch bait in a few throws in a place with no snags.

Look for heavier. A lot are moving to 3/4 pound per foot. Try to get 1 pound per foot. It will sink faster.

And don't worry about 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2" Stick with standard 3/8" as it's much cheaper. At least until you know how to throw and know you need smaller or bigger holes.

Comment

Thanks everyone, looks like a 4’ish mono is a good place to start. TBH never fails

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              A smaller one will be much easier to learn with. But you may miss a lot more bait with it vs a larger one. Also, your more likely to get a larger one hung up than a smaller one. Getting one unhung is not always possible from the bank, only to sometimes rip a hole to get it loose. Or go swimming. A boat is a different story.

I keep a smaller one for creeks and rivers with a current. And a larger one for more open water.

I've found the nylon nets are much more limber. And the monofilament nets seem to open much more easily being stiffer. But what ever you get, be sure to hang them to dry after use. Helps keep them from molding (nylon) or creating a "memory" (as with the mono).

They also come with different weights on the perimiter. The heavier, the faster it will sink thus increasing your chance of catching bait. However, throwing a lot of weight repeatedly, will wear ya out.

As for throwing, there are several techniques. Youtube is full of them.

Thanks for the reply. When you talk about hanging a net to dry, do you mean stretched all the way out flat, or just hanging straight down?

Comment

Working...
                              X