Dodge Diesel Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodge Diesel Owners

Looking at a 2500 4x4, crew cab and wanted a little input . Never owned a diesel before and was looking at the pro's and con's. I do a little pulling here and there, but nothing major. This would be my every day driver. Not wanting another half ton, I'm done there. If anyone has purchased one and have a dealership to recommend , I'll take that too !!

If you don't tow much I wouldn't mess with a diesel. Unless you plan on driving it till the wheels fall off, the diesel is gonna cost way more for no added benefit.

Why no half ton if you don't tow much?

I've always driven a diesel and tow too heavy to drive a gas, but the new trucks with faulty emissions crap drive me nuts. Was glad to delete mine after warranty expired. A perfectly fine truck and motor can leave you stranded because the computer says the DEF/DPF is faulty.

Comment

I am not a fan of the dodge diesels at all. I have one for work and it has ha all kinda of issues along with the 4 other dodges we have there. I am a Die hard Duramax guy. I agree with Justinj about the new diesels their not cheap to keep running with oil changes and def and emissions. My dad has a 3/4 ton gas GMC and it will pull whatever you ask it to but you won't pass a gas station

Comment

I drive my dodge diesel as a daily driver. gets good fuel mileage. stout. has over 340K and still runs strong. I bought it for longevity
        mine is an o4 6 speed.

Comment

I am on my 3rd Ram 2500 4x4 and have loved them all. I dont pull anything at all I just use them as DD. I am addicted to the torque and pretty decent fuel mileage. This time I went with the Mega Cab, and I have to say WOW... tons of room and the rear seats recline!

I have had a ccsb chvy 2500 4x4 - it was good, but I prefer the Cummins personally.
          I have had a ford 6.0 powerstroke and didnt really like it, I mean, it was ok, just looking back, I liked the cummins and duramax better personally. But they are all good vehicles once they have been deleted.

PM sent

Comment

Good luck getting impartial answers to your question.

I'll say this, diesel eats your lunch on maintenance if you do it correctly. Everything's more expensive. Keep that in mind. But the newer diesels get extended oil change intervals so that helps a little.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I enjoy it. I don't tow much, but when I do it's so much nicer. My half ton I had before didn't like pulling my trailer.

As far as dealerships are concerned, they're about all the same I think. Really good at sales and not so great on service. When I'm in your shoes I just find the best deal I can get online and get buyers orders and play one dealership off each other until they say I quit.
            Last edited by 12RingKing; 06-19-2017, 02:24 AM.

Comment

For what you described I would look into the 3/4 tons with a gas engine.

This dealership in Baytown treated us well on my wife's 2016 RAM 1500 purchase -

We went through the Car Pro and used their services which might have helped some-

We also looked at two other Houston Ram dealers and the Baytown dealer had the best deal on the model she wanted.

The truck has only been in once for " repairs"- the oil filter they put on wasn't screwed on tight enough and was leaving some drips in the garage. - so our only experience with their service department is limited to that.

One flaw with Bayshore Dodge is they don't stock any 2500's with the 6.4 hemi (which is what I would highly consider looking at in your circumstance).
              Last edited by DaveC; 06-19-2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

If you buy from a dealership, purchase the maintenance plan.....well worth it.

Also, pm Jack71......he'll hook you up at Liberty Dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
                  Good luck getting impartial answers to your question.

I'll say this, diesel eats your lunch on maintenance if you do it correctly. Everything's more expensive. Keep that in mind. But the newer diesels get extended oil change intervals so that helps a little.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I enjoy it. I don't tow much, but when I do it's so much nicer. My half ton I had before didn't like pulling my trailer.

As far as dealerships are concerned, they're about all the same I think. Really good at sales and not so great on service. When I'm in your shoes I just find the best deal I can get online and get buyers orders and play one dealership off each other until they say I quit.
                  This ^^^

Comment

Unless you're going to delete it, don't bother.

Comment

Dodge Diesel Owners

Are you looking for new or used? If used look into the 10-12 trucks that are pre def, some can be had with low miles for decent money. If new your gonna have to deal with the def system. The newer trucks also have 2 fuel filters which are more exspinsive than the 10-12 trucks single filter. I have a 2012 crew 2500 and love the truck, I've run diesels for 17 years except for a 2 year stint with a gas so maintanince never bothered me. The 4th gens are great trucks compared to the 2nd and 3rd gens. I don't tow heavy all the time either, but it'll pull heavy when needed much better than a gas would.
                      Last edited by KDinTX; 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Here's my opinion and it's only an opinion. If your going with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, get a diesel.

CON - cost more upfront
                        PRO - resale value is much better so you don't lose money in the end

CON - gas is currently cheaper
                        PRO - diesel gets better fuel mileage

CON - oil changes cost more
                        PRO - you can go longer in between oil changes so it almost evens out

CON - repairs cost more
                        PRO - diesels have a longer longevity

CON - ???
                        PRO - diesel will outperform any gas engine

In the end, you are the one making the purchase so buy what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love my 2015 Ram 2500 diesel. Just got the oil changed, tires rotated and both fuel filters replaced at the dealership. $404. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancho View Post
                            Love my 2015 Ram 2500 diesel. Just got the oil changed, tires rotated and both fuel filters replaced at the dealership. $404. It is what it is.

$404!!!

Full Service Oil Change - $75.00
                            Fuel Filters and do it yourself - $88.60
                            Rotate Tires do it yourself - $0.00

Grand Total - $163.60

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                              $404!!!

Full Service Oil Change - $75.00
                              Fuel Filters and do it yourself - $88.60
                              Rotate Tires do it yourself - $0.00

Grand Total - $163.60

My oil cost me more than $75 without the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X