No announcement yet.

Dodge Diesel Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so you don't pull and you think you need anything other than a 1/2 ton..tons of em here but I don't get it

Comment

Had a 03 2500 4x4 *** ho...13 years ..2batterys/5 tires/oil&filtr/fuel filter/2 gromets for 4x4 shifter/ 1 AC compressor(body casting leaks)warranty took care of that was 13y of ownership.....Low 100k when sold was not daily driver.I call that trouble free

Comment

I've got to disagree with you on a number of points.

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
        Here's my opinion and it's only an opinion. If your going with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, get a diesel.

CON - cost more upfront
        PRO - resale value is much better so you don't lose money in the end
        Agree

CON - gas is currently cheaper
        PRO - diesel gets better fuel mileage
        I'd wager most folks are not hand calculating their mileage. Claims of 17+ rolling 75mph, I just don't believe. My 2011 6.7L F250 got no better than 16.5 rolling 75mph and that's hand calculated on stock tires.The display is not the same as hand calculations.

CON - oil changes cost more
        PRO - you can go longer in between oil changes so it almost evens out
        Disagree. Gas motors these days can run 10K+ miles on synthetic easily and they're doing it for less.

CON - repairs cost more
        PRO - diesels have a longer longevity
        If you have to spend 15-20K over 10 years in repairs, you've lost your increased resale value argument and 15-20k in repairs over 10 years is easy in a diesel, heck I know guys who've spent that much in 5 years; 2 big repairs or 4-5 middle of the road repairs. Bad fuel or failing to change your filters properly can cost you 10-12K and good luck getting warranty coverage. Emission equipment out of warranty isn't cheap either. Gassers will run 200k-300k miles and will be cheaper to repair and keep running.

CON - ???
        PRO - diesel will outperform any gas engine
        In just about every way. I loved my 6.7 and will likely own another in the future but if you're going to own a diesel out of warranty these days, have some money set aside for repairs, you will need it.

In the end, you are the one making the purchase so buy what you want.
        Agree. Though, Unless you like to spend money for the sake of spending it or you value the increased performance of the diesel, I'd think a gas motor whether 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton would suit you fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
          I've got to disagree with you on a number of points.

The majority of issues with a modern diesel with emissions is the emissions equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
            so you don't pull and you think you need anything other than a 1/2 ton..tons of em here but I don't get it
            Yup, I agree. Why would anyone want to get into a new diesel with DEF? Especially if you dont tow? Maybe its a keeping up with the Jones thing? I grew up running diesels from the 80's. When the DEF came out I went back to gas. Now during that time my use changed, I do not haul much more than 15 k now. I have had the occasional 18k plus load on my F-250 gasser. It all goes back to what you want though, I have 85k and no issues on my gasser and I promise you ot has hauled more trailers than the typical neighborhood diesel. One of our supervisors at work has a 6.4 crew cab diesel, he has more use for station wagon...dont get it

Comment

I bought my 2014 2500 RAM diesel with 40k miles on it a year a half ago. I have 125000 miles on it now (I drive ALOT). The def pump went out at 83000 miles. Which the warranty for that went out at 80k miles. All that being said, I don't regret buying it. It is my first Cummins diesel and I love it. I did delete the def system, added a live wire tune and 4" exhaust. That cost about $2000 for everything. I have a 15k lb camper and it pulled it without a problem 5 hrs to the deer lease (I have overload springs). It averages about 19 mpg. I will say that I like all diesels on the market these days. I think that if I was gonna buy one I'd be waiting to hear what's going to change as far as the def systems in the future since the EPA got neutered when Trump took over. Just my thoughts.

Comment

i have a 1999 2500 4x4 with 356,000 miles stock tranny, Edge tuner on engine...replaced ball joints 1 time.....no front end work just basic PM.
                i have a 2002 2500 4x4 with 280,000 miles. rebuilt tranny because i added more power via tuner. just finished rebuilding entire front end when i added a 5"long arm lift kit. no other work just basic PM.
                and I have a 2003 3500 4x4. replaced the clutch once for good measure because i added Smarty tuner and 100 HP injectors. and 4" exhaust. broke several "u" joints after adding power but have that figured out now...replace axle joints and wheel bearing one time....no other work just regular PM
                My experience is if you do regular PM a Dodge/Cummins will last forever.
                i'm very happy with mine..and oh yeah the 1999 gets 17 mpg, the 2002 gets 17 mpg and the 2003 gets 18 mpg all city driving calcula****s and YES THEY ARE ALL HAND CALCULATED ON EVERY TANK WHEN I FILL UP.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by J. Colwell View Post
                  $404!!!

Full Service Oil Change - $75.00
                  Fuel Filters and do it yourself - $88.60
                  Rotate Tires do it yourself - $0.00

Grand Total - $163.60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Charge your phone STAT! Before it turns o....

2010 Cummins and I love it

Comment

Working...
                  X