What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this?

Bought at a local Amish auction. One person said it was a corn grinder? No nails or screws, pegs only. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I googled Amish corn grinder and they were way more modern.

Comment

What happens when you turn the handle? I was going to say some kind of press, but I don't not see any threading, so I'm afraid I am of no help.

Comment

It looks like a dog house. Hard to be sure though with that contraption in the way.

Comment

Its a field tobacco press.
          Tobacco leaves are cut to width and placed in it. Its then pressed down and the leaves are tied.
          The top and bottom pieces or "ends and stems" are then trimmed and you have a block of tobacco and some loos stuff to sell for chew and snuff.

Comment

What is this?

Is the end of the down Shaft threaded? And does the hole on the bottom piece go all the way through?

Wondering if there should be another piece attached to the down shaft and it being a press of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what the WWW says.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a henweigh to me.

Comment

And NOPE - I didnt learn this from anyone that is Omish. There is a man straight out of the hills of Tennessee that has one and he makes his own cut-plug tobacco with one.

Comment

That cross piece looks stationary. I don't see how it can press anything, but maybe so.

Comment

Super cool find!! No idea what it is but is cool!! Congrats!

Comment

If it's a tobacco press it's missing some parts.

This is a tobacco press and it's similar so you're probably right. It's just missing things.
                        Attached Files

Comment

There are no threads for any type of press type action. Where the shaft goes into the bottom there is a metal cap on the shaft with splines of a sort and same on the inside. Its tapered like drill pipe. The hole goes through the bottom. I am trying to down load the pics. I cant post any from my phone for some reason
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by brushtrooper; 11-14-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Found these and it looks like the shaft you have on yours.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The bottom
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X