Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 11-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Soggy Bottom
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County
Default No Till Drill

I'm trying to decide if the cost of a no till drill is worth the investment. I currently plant around 9 acres of oats for deer and my cattle. I do like the idea of no more disking before planting. I usually do some type of plot year round. Would like to hear some thought if the expense of no till drill is worth it. Also thinking with a no till I could do more winter pastures for my cows and cut the winter time feed bill drastically. Thanks for the input.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

in
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I will tell you that if you think you will never have to disc again that is not true. The land will compact eventually and you will have to break it up, especially if you have cattle? Our area we have lots of mesquites and if you do they will take over. My guess is that about 2 to 3 yrs expect to have to deep plow it again.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Anythinghunter8
Six Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

I always wanted a no till drill but after talking to people that have them they still disk every time so don't think it cost effective

Last edited by Anythinghunter8; 11-14-2017 at 04:12 PM..
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythinghunter8 View Post
I always wanted a no till drill but after talking to people that have them they still disk every time so don't think it cost effective
Why do they say the have to disc every year?
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULL21 View Post
Why do they say the have to disc every year?
Our place the ground gets to compacted and the mesquites take over.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Anythinghunter8
Six Point

Hunt In: Flatonia

well I guess it depend on your land we have black land they say it just don't work good with it but I think it all depend on time of rain and what no
Anythinghunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co

Rent it...

Very expensive to buy.
Spearchunker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Soggy Bottom
Six Point

Thanks for the responses. Did not realize you will still have to disk often. My thinking is I own a 70hp tractor and a 7' disk. It takes me a while to get the plots ready by making 2-3 passes. I don't think my tractor will handle a much bigger disk. So with out buying a new bigger tractor and a bigger disk I could buy a used no till for less money. I also do weed spray every year so the mesquites are taken care of.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
txarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard, Brown, and Lamb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
Thanks for the responses. Did not realize you will still have to disk often. My thinking is I own a 70hp tractor and a 7' disk. It takes me a while to get the plots ready by making 2-3 passes. I don't think my tractor will handle a much bigger disk. So with out buying a new bigger tractor and a bigger disk I could buy a used no till for less money. I also do weed spray every year so the mesquites are taken care of.
You shouldn't have to keep discing. If you put in the proper cover crops and build up the organic matter in the soil, compaction will eventually not be an issue. Using chemical to control weeds and mesquites is also key.
txarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarcher View Post
You shouldn't have to keep discing. If you put in the proper cover crops and build up the organic matter in the soil, compaction will eventually not be an issue. Using chemical to control weeds and mesquites is also key.
x2
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

disking brings in new seeds, weeds, and bushes.

Disk as little as possible. That is the purpose of a grain drill, not to disk
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
elgato
Ten Point

I havent disced in years. No till only . Extensive use of rotational planting works great for me. Never clean the table. Candidly don't use synthetic fertilizer anymore either. I find crop rotations and occasional chicken litter works just fine for all nutrient needs. My soil isn't good enough for commercial ag but plenty good enough for deer.
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
DeadEyeB
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

Quote:
Originally Posted by txarcher View Post
this right here. if mesquite is taking over you aren't using the chemicals.

You got to have a sprayer that's a key ingredient to no till planting. Especially if the cover crop doesn't come up. Likely you'll have the worst problems with weeds and mesquite if your cover crop doesn't take over so you'll have to double down on torching it with chemicals.
DeadEyeB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Soggy Bottom
Six Point

What type of cover crop do y'all suggest for spring and summer. Normally I plant cow peas, sun flowers, and millet.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Blackmouth
Six Point

As mentioned, you can rent or have someone that already has the equipment to plant for you. You mentioned that your tractor may not be big enough for much more than your 7' disk. No-Tills are heavy so your tractor may not be big enough to pull it either.

Not sure why some have said that you will need to disk or plow in a few years. Planting brassicas (turnips, radishes, rape, etc) will penetrate the plow pan. I'd suggest looking at elgato's thread, A Year in the Life of a Farm and focus not on the deer but his cover crop operation and you'll learn a lot.

Do you want a pretty hay field or something for your wildlife and cattle? If its food for animals, why spray weeds? They are forage too and deer don't do well on grass alone. There are several seed companies out there, Douglass King, MBS, Green Cover and many more. I would plant as diverse of a crop as possible and as elgato has found out, the Fall cool-season cover crops give you more bang for your buck.

Call your local NRCS office and tell them what you want to do, it's free advice and if your lucky you can get into a contract and get paid to do some of it. They can run some numbers and give you suggestions on what to plant in about 5 minutes. We do it all the time in my office.
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #17
Soggy Bottom
Six Point

Thanks for the info.