Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 11-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree
Default Texas Heritage Hunter

Back nearly ten years ago when I began the knifemaking journey, I was fascinated by the idea of making a knife from something special, not just from stuff you could buy on Ebay. While I've purchased a zillion dollars worth of supplies since then, the fascination for "story" never left. I'll admit that at first glance, this knife looks like what it is: a quality forged stick tang hunter in the ABS style. This is one knife where there is more to it than is immediately obvious.

For several months now, I've been planning a series of "story" knives that I intend to carry through the rest of my knifemaking career. I'm a Texan, with roots here back to 1855. I love Texas and its history, and I hope one day we can be an independent nation again. With all that in mind, this knife represents the initial public offering of my Texas Heritage knife series using historical materials from Texas. This series will be limited to three knives per year, including a bowie and a hunter. As my skills grow, the knife complexity will increase, but one thing will remain the same: Texas first, Texas forever.

This Texas Heritage Hunter features a forged blade of 5160 steel. The steel came from the first knifemaking workshop ever conducted by the Texas Knifemakers' Guild, in 2016. The guard on this knife is from the Shackelford County ghost town of Raynor. Raynor was founded in 1888 as the county seat, but abandoned by 1904 as Aspermont took over the county seat. The steel used here comes from the gate of the Raynor Cemetery. Although the steel is blued, the front of the guard retains some of the rust-pitted character that it came with. Right behind the guard, the fluted spacer is wrought iron from the rail of the first railroad into Dallas in 1872. The handle is spalted sycamore, stabilized with a slight brown dye, from the grounds of the Texas Capital building. My brother went to UT about ten years ago with a guy who worked grounds crew there, and this piece came home as firewood. All together, there's a lot of history in this piece!

You may recall I posted a month or so ago asking about bodark posts, and about three months ago looking for historical materials from the Republic period. I am always on the lookout for other materials with Texas historical links, and am willing to buy or trade.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Black Gold
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

I have tons of bodarc my grandfather and I cut in 2004 and stacked to dry. Id love to talk about trading.
Cody
361-772-3526
Black Gold is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
bubba joe
Eight Point

that's a hell of a blade there Fry! love it! and the history......
bubba joe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Beautiful work sir!
AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
crittergetter76
Six Point

That's pretty cool. Lot of thought and work went into that knife. Looking forward to seeing future "story" knives you create.
crittergetter76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: a tall tree

Hot diggity... sold this one in 19 minutes.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I really like the graceful lines especially the handle. Love the materials that have some history in them.
If I ever get a forge I might be tempted to make some Damascus Harley iron from old cams, lifters, chains and such.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
redoak77
Six Point

Hunt In: In Texas

Nice!!!!!!
redoak77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
WildThings
Eight Point

Hunt In: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fry View Post
Hot diggity... sold this one in 19 minutes.
No surprise there!!
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top