Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
CJMO74
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: TX, OK, MO
Default Good Bow?

Hey all,

I am just now deciding I want to get into hunting with a recurve. I will be using it predominantly for deer and the occasional hog. What is a good bow to get that will be durable? I am just worried to buy a cheap bow that only makes it a season or two. I would like to stay on a budget with this if possible as well. If this thread has already been created which I'm sure it has please direct me there.

Thanks for any input!
CJMO74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Dkincaid
Six Point

Samick sage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I'll 2nd the sage. At $140, it is a proven hunter. No, it is not pretty, but it is durable and can take a ding or two when you "drop" it on the ground. You can buy limbs for it with various weights so you don't have to buy a new bow. It can handle the fast string materials. It has a great resale value and is a great backup bow/bow fishing rig whenever you move on. Plenty of folks on here have killed their first animals and a few more after that with a sage.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Hoytbowhunter
Ten Point

I have a decent 1st bow for trade in the classifieds
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=665412
Hoytbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

http://www.pse-archery.com/shop/bows...-hawk-recurve/
I saw some of these the other day and they looked like pretty decent bows
Start low#
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

My vote would be a Samick Sage also. Great starter bows, and I still shoot mine sometimes and take it with me on trips as a backup bow.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
I have a decent 1st bow for trade in the classifieds
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=665412
The OP was specifically looking for a recurve (or presumably some other traditional bow.)

CJM, also, consider that if you are just getting into traditional, you will want to start off with a manageable draw weight until you work up your form and strength. This is another reason to start out with a takedown as you can upgrade the limbs to a higher draw weight later on.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #8
76aggie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay Co., Schleicher Co.

Another fan of the Samick Sage here. It is more capable than I am. That bow will shoot along side any other "higher end" bows all day long.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I will agree that the Sage is a decent bow. However it's not a high end bow. Will it shoot as consistently as you need? Yes. Is it a great value for what you get? I think so. Is it a hunt worthy bow? I killed my first trad deer with one. Start there. You won't regret it. There is one for sale on archery talk with extras right now.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by DRT; 10-26-2017 at 07:21 PM..
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Budgets and bows are not a good mix because bows are like Lays potato chips. You will want another one. There is a lot to be said for the sammick bows. You can get a brand new one delivered for $140 and if you don't like it or want to move up you can sell it pretty easy for $90-100. There will be more money than that spent on arrows, a target, a glove or tab, and a few basic tools and supplies. Any way you cut it you are going to have $350 to $400 invested to try the sport. You might keep your eye out for a complete set up where someone is selling out. Just keep the draw weight reasonable at the begining. There are lots of 55 pound and up bows for sale for a reason. Don't think that you can make one work because chances are you will shoot it six or eight times and then quit.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
TripleEdge_Josh
Nubbin' Buck

For what its worth, we have sold several PSE mustangs out of our shop and haven't experienced a problem yet. Also Have seen several deer and a few hogs put down well with them.
TripleEdge_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2017, 12:04 AM   #12
nicksoros
Nubbin' Buck

1 more vote for Samick Sage.
nicksoros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

To piggy back on this thread, what does one need to get started in trad. Say I bought a Sage, what else do I need? What kind of arrows? Glove? String?
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

It's a good idea to read the stickies on the trad forum. Some very qualified people have given detailed valuable information in them that will help you get started and grow.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
To piggy back on this thread, what does one need to get started in trad. Say I bought a Sage, what else do I need? What kind of arrows? Glove? String?
Like Gary mentioned check the sticky threads at the top of the trad forum. It'll cover a lot of it. But, I'd upgrade to a FF string on the Sage because the factory string isn't that great. Get a bowstringer for sure, and a glove or tab. As far as arrows go, I shoot carbons and that's probably the easiest way to go especially just starting out. It's hard to say specifically which ones without knowing your DL and the poundage of your bow. As far as brands I like GT arrows and just bought some Black Eagles for my new longbow that I'm impressed with.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #16
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Three Rivers Archery can help you choose the right arrows as a beginner. They have everything you need to get started.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 AM   #17
JEFFRO
Ten Point

Hunt In: can't say it's a secret

find someone close to help you out.. T.B.O.T. shoots will have folks around that will help.
for starters. carbons or aluminum arrows to get going. you will have to find out what you will shoot better with as in glove or tab. and shooting style. do some reading it will help alot on what direction you want to go...
jeffro
JEFFRO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #18
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

Lots of bows will work, Samic Sage has the name and as you can tell is popular. the same basic bow is offered with other names just different wood used in the riser. You can swap the limbs on a Cabela's Warden with a Sage and shoot away, to me the little larger grip of the Warden is a little more comfortable. The Edge is another that fits that bill. The Cabela's Saberhawk and PSE Honor are another good pair f shooting bows.

A lot of the store brand bows and other bows are the same basic bows with different wood used for the riser and made in the same place with the same limb pockets and in many cases the same limbs just a different name silk screened on the limbs and perhaps in some a different look finished at the ends of the limbs but basically same bow.

Get a bow stringer though for what ever flat limbed bow you buy, twisted limbs are a pain to say the least and a stringer will prevent almost all cases of twisted limbs.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #19
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

How close are you to Springtown? I am not selling it but I have a 40lb Bear Kodiak you are welcome to come shoot to try. I have some heavier bows too. I am not selling any of them but you can try a few different weights.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #20
CJMO74
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: TX, OK, MO

I am a little over an hour from springtown. I don't know if it would be possible for me to make the trip with work right now. I have a friend who has a recurve and he really likes it and I've shot it a lot, so I have a feel somewhat for what I am looking for. I really appreciate all the replies. I am leaning toward the Sage but may hold off and get it for after season and shoot it for a year before I take it to shoot deer. Maybe put some hogs down first to build my confidence.

What are the higher end recurves that people hunt with? For instance I shoot an Excalibur crossbow and I know that will be the last crossbow I need to buy. I just don't want to buy a bow and out grow it in 6 months and want a different one. What are some good add-ons for the bow?
CJMO74 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #21
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMO74 View Post
I am a little over an hour from springtown. I don't know if it would be possible for me to make the trip with work right now. I have a friend who has a recurve and he really likes it and I've shot it a lot, so I have a feel somewhat for what I am looking for. I really appreciate all the replies. I am leaning toward the Sage but may hold off and get it for after season and shoot it for a year before I take it to shoot deer. Maybe put some hogs down first to build my confidence.

What are the higher end recurves that people hunt with? For instance I shoot an Excalibur crossbow and I know that will be the last crossbow I need to buy. I just don't want to buy a bow and out grow it in 6 months and want a different one. What are some good add-ons for the bow?
I think waiting is a good idea personally. I bought my first recurve in December when I was done hunting. Practiced all of late winter and then through the spring and summer, and was ready to hunt the following fall. That would give you plenty of practice time and build your confidence. As far as high end recurves...Black Widow is popular, but they aren't cheap. I'd shoot one and make sure before you spend that kind of cash.