Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #101
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Littleton View Post
for those that have done it, how long is the hike in to Evans from Plum Creek? can you traverse the rims to get there, or is it basically straight through up and down the other canyons?
I think tracking the path on google earth its about 4 - 4.5 miles trying to stay up top and following the fence.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #102
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

Quote:
for those that have done it, how long is the hike in to Evans from Plum Creek? can you traverse the rims to get there, or is it basically straight through up and down the other canyons?
On second thought it maybe closer to 4.5 - 5 miles
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #103
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can afford

Been a while since I went there. I know it was far enough by the time I got there and saw the size of it we didn't have much time left to hunt
Dude Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 10:30 PM   #104
B Littleton
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County & Public Land

how are the crowds during the week? I am heading out for the week after thanksgiving (sun-thurs) and wondering what I'm gonna be contending with as far as volume of people.
B Littleton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #105
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

Quote:
how are the crowds during the week? I am heading out for the week after thanksgiving (sun-thurs) and wondering what I'm gonna be contending with as far as volume of people.
Typically quite a few hunters at that time, for the whole mule deer season.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #106
jmack82
Nubbin' Buck

I was there last week scouting. I typically walk in the day after Thanksgiving and don't see many people once you get a 1/4 mile off the road. I have seen a few people in Evans in 4 years and none in Devils at that time. Camp areas have people in them but they don't get in too far. Devils is a long haul this year since the Canadian is still moving pretty fast. The mud just getting to the river is calf deep. I have made the haul there from Plum Creek but its not fun. It really gets bad when you haul a deer out and have to go back the next day to get your camp.

As far as Evans from Plum Creek you would have to stay up top. I stayed high most of the time until I would hit a fence. I stayed in the river bottom after but its grown so much in the last 3 years. I had brush 8' high and was enough to make me turn back after 2.6 miles by GPS. The brush is crazy high right now so the deer are very well hidden. Good luck!
jmack82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #107
chastings77
Spike

Hunt In: Lake Meredith, Crossbar

Hunted Devil's canyon Sunday, only went 2 miles in, sat out on a point for an hour, headed up the canyon and hunted the rims on the way out. Didn't see anything but coyotes. Saw what looked like a lot of 'road' hunters in McBride canyon, guys just driving around slowly in their trucks.
chastings77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #108
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

I spent two or three days in Big Canyon and Devils Canyon. Looked like some good area. When I first got into Big Canyon the first time, I found a very fresh gut pile. So that made things look hopeful. I never saw a deer, there, lots of orange walking around. That had to have been last year. I saw some areas that looked very good. I found a lot of deer beds, just did not find the deer that occupied those beds. I got very good at finding beds. What I concluded, is the deer move around at night, then some around the time the sun comes up, then they find a bed to get in and hold tight and watch the hunters. The areas I found beds, there is little chance you would see them in their beds and high chance they are going to see you and most beds had quick escape routes out the back side. Those deer are not dumb at all. I wanted to video some of the beds I found and the areas around them to show how hard it would be to see deer in those beds and how easily they could escape, if a hunter started heading their direction. I took pictures, but it was had to truly see the whole situation from a couple of pictures.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #109
Dude Briggs
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can afford

The mulies bed most of the day. I agree they move and piddle around at night but once they pick a spot in the morning to bed they won't go far at all unless spooked out of there. I'm sure the bucks will be on the move during rut but for the most part the way they hide in plain sight is what makes them so hard to find yet so easy to stalk (compared to whitetails)
Dude Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #110
chastings77
Spike

Yeah, that is what I have noticed too. I have seen deer this season but just before shooting light headed thru the thickest areas to there beds!
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #111
BlakeJ
Four Point

Any recent reports?
BlakeJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #112
chastings77
Spike

I camped a few miles in on Devils Trail last weekend. Did not see anything and lots of hunters on horseback. Will be camping at Evans this weekend, hopefully will be able to get away from everyone else.
Old Today, 10:16 AM   #113
BlakeJ
Four Point

Any duck hunters or ducks?
BlakeJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top