Menard county hunting updates 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was plenty green between Menard and Eden a few weeks ago-
    Thank God no dang Broom weed like last year.

Deer sightings were low riding around the place.
    Camp deer were abundant though.

Comment

We are on the 190 between Menard and Brady. Deer are looking good this year. Just hope it is not as green as it was last year. I know we got some rain but hopefully it will be a good season.

Comment

As you know, I live here and have been on most ranches in Menard County and know all of the old ranchers as they are buddies of mine. We got 1.2" of rain 12 miles south on 83 last Tuesday and scattered amounts in other places, generally much less. Lots of acorns on some trees and the grass is beginning to fade where they missed the last showers. It is supposed to rain early this next week and the timing will be great if it does.
        Overall deer are in good condition and I feel that antler growth is average to above average across the county. We are slowly recovering from the terrible drought of 2011 when we raised few deer and lost a complete age class of bucks. Turkeys and hogs are on the increase from the great spring that we had. Free ranging axis love the river bottoms but are beginning to move across most of the county. I am not sure where the blackbuck are coming from but I see them where I had never seen them before.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

How are you guys attracting the Axis?
          We have had them for years and ours could care less about the corn feeders. If we are lucky, they may come in for a bite and then leave.
          People we have talked to in the Llano area say that they are all over their feeders and chase the whitetails away.

No hogs so far, but we have seen dead ones on the highway before our cut off.

Comment

The axis on our place in east Menard county love the protein. They typically only come in when there is protein out. They will eat hand corn, but very rarely eat the corn under the feeders.

Comment

According to most weather sources, we should receive 4-5 inches of rain this week, just west of us, over 10". If we get over 10" of rain where they think that we will, the river should be on somewhat of a rise depending on where it falls and how fast. Just a bit of information to those of you who have to cross the river at a low water crossing.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Thanks Steve, will try protein in a small hanger.

Gary, for what I could see in my area, we can use the rain.

Comment

Man we hunted menard just down from Ojeda's, Best Mexican chicken fried steak and breakfast tacos. Man I miss that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                    Thanks Steve, will try protein in a small hanger.

Gary, for what I could see in my area, we can use the rain.
                    Protein pellets and alfalfa work great

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      Was plenty green between Menard and Eden a few weeks ago-
                      Thank God no dang Broom weed like last year.

Deer sightings were low riding around the place.
                      Camp deer were abundant though.
                      Oh yea tell me about those camp deer" . Yep we like Menard...Brady's too big!

Comment

I'm on the Menard/Mason line, but on the Mason side, can I join you guy's club?

Comment

I am out there, went a few weeks back, saw a few dove, doe, and a nice Axis buck just down the road. Lots of deer on camera from July, but accidentally had the long lasting battery camera on video mode and it ate up the memory pretty quick so I did not have any recent pics.

Comment

We are east of Menard off 1773.
                            Pics of bucks are looking pretty good. Fed protein pretty heavy this year and we are seeing good results.
                            No axis, but we have some blackbucks running around.

I'll be up this weekend to fill feeders and enjoy the cool weather up in a tripod.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
                              Protein pellets and alfalfa work great
                              We tried hanging small Alfalfa bales, but didn't seem to do any good.
                              Looking forward to seeing the "protein in the feeder" results.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                                We tried hanging small Alfalfa bales, but didn't seem to do any good.
                                Looking forward to seeing the "protein in the feeder" results.
                                We just break the bales up and throw it on the ground... try the protein pellets, everything likes that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X