Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes

Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 AM   #1
jmw
Six Point

Hunt In: Where I can
Default Do you can any of your wild game meat?

Growing up, I helped my mom can vegetables and homemade applesauce, but we never canned meat. If all goes well this season, I'd like to can some meat to have on hand in case we need it for whatever reason. It seems pretty simple from what I've seen on youtube so far. Is there a "best way" to can venison, wild hog, etc.? What all types of seasonings do you prefer to put in the jars? Is there a magic time and/or pressure to leave them in the cooker? I've seen anywhere from 45 minutes at 10 psi to 90 minutes at 15 psi. Does the brand of lids/jars matter much? Any other tips or tricks you have to pass along would be appreciated. Thanks.
jmw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
jmw
Six Point

Also, what size jars do you prefer to use?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
DoubleGProstaff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

I've always wanted to try canning meat, only canned salsa, veggies, jams and venison stock. I'll be following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleGProstaff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

I've got a friend that cans meat and says it's great. They only put salt in it until they are about to eat it. "Says it's to prevent any reactions from happening". I don't know if that is true or not. But I plan on trying it soon.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

So, do you cook it before you can it? I don't like boiled meat, but I think I could handle it sopped in gravy.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

You can brown it before hand, Called hot packing or cold pack it raw from what I understand
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
jmw
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
So, do you cook it before you can it? I don't like boiled meat, but I think I could handle it sopped in gravy.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos last night, and they all use the raw packing method because the high heat and pressure during the canning actually cooks the meat. My main question is whether or not there's a "secret formula" for the best tasting meat/safest way to do it.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Strummer
Ten Point

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I'm going to get in to meat canning. I raise rabbits and plan to can a lot of them.
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
jmw
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I'm going to get in to meat canning. I raise rabbits and plan to can a lot of them.

That sounds like an awesome plan. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
keng
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Ohio

I've tried it with just salt, with onions and salt, and hot peppers, onions and salt. Really can't taste a difference, so I just put a pinch of salt now, and add stuff when I warm it up to eat. Put over noodles, mashed potatoes or rice And it makes a quick meal. I raw pack mine in pint jars, make sure you pack it in tight and close to the top of the jar so it's covered in liquid after pressure canning. Doesn't look the best in jars, but it's pretty tasty
keng is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #11
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Colorado

Had some canned moose once that came from Canada. It was in a brown gravy and it was delicious!
parkchief100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
Strummer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I just canned my first ever batch of venison - 12 pints and 1 quart. For the first batch, I didn't use any seasoning other than 1/2 tsp kosher salt. I followed the instructions for my canner (which seem pretty standard) 12 psi for 75 minutes. As much as I wanted to invest in an All American, I opted for the Presto 23 qt pressure canner for much lower cost.

I just pulled them out and they are cooling now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I give it a taste test in a day or two!

If I remember right you are suppose to let them rest for a month or two to make sure they donít spoil . Need to take the bands off also .
Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
If I remember right you are suppose to let them rest for a month or two to make sure they don’t spoil . Need to take the bands off also .
Interesting. I've never seen anything about that, other than to leave untouched for 24 hours. Would that hold true even if I was consuming (or cooking with to consume) the entire jar within a day or two of opening?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #15
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

Following
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:

Quote:
Interesting. I've never seen anything about that, other than to leave untouched for 24 hours. Would that hold true even if I was consuming (or cooking with to consume) the entire jar within a day or two of opening?
We can our meat the exact same way. Been doing it for 2 years now I think? Just per the same instructions (have the same canner.)

I have never heard the resting part either. We've opened it 24 hours later and so on.

I like the meat we've canned. I haven't tried gravy. Just raw meat and salt. It cooks while it cans in its own juices. I just mix up some brown gravy if I want gravy. It is pretty versatile. We make chipped venison and toast. Shredded it for tacos, etc.

I have canned hog, ram, axis, whitetail, and javelina. They have all turned out great.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Thought I had quoted this in my other reply...

I see some people cook it first, but that didn't make much sense to me since it cooks when you can it.... so you are just double cooking it?

When it is all said and done, honestly, it turns out like a "dry" roast. We trim the fat to keep the shelf life higher, so that is why it tastes a little "dry" but it is fork tender like a roast and you can "shred" it pretty easily. It isn't "dry" like boiled meat because it is cooked in its own juices, rather than in water, where the water picks up the flavor. I hope that makes sense. We use the meat as a base and add fat and seasoning to taste for whatever we are making (brown gravy... or taco seasoning... whatever.)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #18
Strummer
Ten Point

Quote:

Iím not sure . Will do some research. I follow a few canning groups . Will ask them . I havenít started canning meat yet .
Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #19
Strummer
Ten Point

Quote:

Some people are saying two week to 30 days just to make sure there is no botulism
Old 10-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #20
kilroy230
Six Point

Hunt In: cooke or anywhere i get to!

I tried it a few years ago just used salt and a few garlic cloves turned out good.one thing when reheating it remember its already cooked so just warm it up you don't want to cook it anymore. .
kilroy230 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Some people are saying two week to 30 days just to make sure there is no botulism
I thought (am pretty sure) botulism grows over time and only when there is no air (canned). Also was certain you couldn't smell or really check for it.

Basically waiting would increase the odds I would think.

You got a link?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #22
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Also, was pretty sure botulism is a concern for water bath (jams, etc) because it is not cooked or under high heat long enough... whereas you must pressure can meat... which is for long enough to kill off botulism.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #23
Shake N' Bake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

There is a meateater podcast where they talk about canning meat. I've been wanting to try it. My wife already cans salsa and pickles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 05:57 AM   #24
Merc
Eight Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

I haven't yet, but plan to for some of my stuff this year.

http://www.rokslide.com/pressure-can...ountry-bounty/
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #25
TexasBob
Ten Point

Do you put liquid with the meat or fish?
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #26
jmw
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I don't think you have to. From everything I've seen/read so far, they create their own juices. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did add something in there.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #27
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
I don't think you have to. From everything I've seen/read so far, they create their own juices. I don't think it would hurt anything if you did add something in there.
Nope, it makes its own liquid. Its not very attractive on the shelf but great when you're in a hurry. My kids love it mixed with garlic mashed potatoes.
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM   #28
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
I haven't added additional liquid to anything I've canned.

I canned a package of chicken thighs (I used boneless/skinless) a few weeks ago and I found pork butts for $1/lb and cut and canned one last week (yielded 8 pint jars). I've slowly been testing different quick meals using the canned meat.

Last week I made a quick curried chicken salad that we've been making for years - my girls love it for a light meal or snack. I normally simmer the thighs for 45 minutes, allow to cool, remove skin and debone and then put it all together in a big batch. It obviously takes quite a bit of time from start to finish. Just for kicks, I made it with my canned chicken thighs and it took just a few minutes to throw it all together in a bowl. It was fantastic!

Today I decided to make some quick and simple pulled pork tacos with the canned pork. I heated it on my Blackstone griddle with a little Goya Adobo seasoning, some cumin, salt and a touch of cayenne. I ate it on flour tortilla with just a little cheese, pico and salsa. It was tender, moist and tasty, and again it took less than 5 minutes to prepare from start to finish.

In both instances, I doubt anybody would be able to tell the finished product from the original method of boiling chicken thighs or cooking the pork in a crock pot (obviously it was a different than using butts cooked on a smoker).

I'm going to keep canning different meats, vegetables and some prepared meals and testing the results.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #29
Strummer
Ten Point

Quote:

What did the presto 23q set you back ? Iím needing to get one
Old 11-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
Michael
Administrator

I think it was $80 or $85.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #31
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I do deer meat and jus add salt and garlic- I run it for 90 minutes. In my opinion you need to let it set up some just for flavor- it is my favorite way to eat dee. I also can tuna. Never tried anything else but wouldn't hesitate.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #32
Strummer
Ten Point

Quote:
I think it was $80 or $85.

Amazon ?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #33
Michael
Administrator

Default Do you can any of your wild game meat?

Quote:
Amazon ?

Yes. I looked it up and it was $73.

Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCFU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I also ordered an extra rack so I can stack pints. Most of what I've canned so far is pints. I bought a funnel/magnet/air remover kit from WM after the first few batches. The funnel is handy because it keeps the jar rims cleaner.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #34
whiskers
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Gonzalez Co.

I've done deer and pig meat. I seasoned with a pinch of salt, a thick slice of onion and a

couple of garlic cloves in pint jars. 10lbs for 75 minutes. Never had one go bad yet. As

stated above warm the meat and make some gravy. Good over taters.
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top