Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #51
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Hunt In: South Tx, Hill Country, Panhandle

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-25-2017 at 10:24 PM..
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #52
MetalMan2004
Spike

Good luck this weekend to those of you who got first season! Be sure to let us know how you do!
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 PM   #53
Pnut529
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Bastrop County
Default Pnut529

We've used Thermacells when bow hunting down there. They work good if you're sitting on a tripod, ground blind, etc. not going to help much if walking.
Pnut529 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #54
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom green county

Leave in two days, guess I meet to start getting stuff together.
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #55
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Let us know what the place looks like, maybe some pictures. Would like to see the place after the storm, hope it's not too bad.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #56
johnnyanguyen
Nubbin' Buck

Got drawn for this weekends hunt and headed down early Friday morning to scout. Hope I donít get eaten alive by the bird sized mosquitos..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnnyanguyen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #57
jason86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
Let us know what the place looks like, maybe some pictures. Would like to see the place after the storm, hope it's not too bad.

Good luck.
I Will, I am headed down this evening to scout in the am! Still haven't packed a thing yet....oops.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #58
fish4food
Four Point

Good luck!
In for reports. Going in December.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #59
jason86
Ten Point

Skeeters, skeeters, skeeters
Old 11-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #60
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
Skeeters, skeeters, skeeters
Yep. No pictures? So what does the place look like, what do the trees look like.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #61
jason86
Ten Point

Few trees busted up, mostly everything is intact. I've seen 7 hogs and 3 javis, saw one pig while hunting this morning but I forgot to chamber a round and she heard the "click" and took off. Heard one deer blow but that's all. One doe and a spike killed this morning. It's hot like really really hot. Makes for some hard hunting with the full moon, hopefully the afternoon will be better.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #62
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Quote:
Few trees busted up, mostly everything is intact. I've seen 7 hogs and 3 javis, saw one pig while hunting this morning but I forgot to chamber a round and she heard the "click" and took off. Heard one deer blow but that's all. One doe and a spike killed this morning. It's hot like really really hot. Makes for some hard hunting with the full moon, hopefully the afternoon will be better.
The hunting is never easy, 90% of the time you can hunt out there, it will be hot and humid. It is definitely a very hard place to hunt. Not so hard to kill doe, not that hard to kill hogs. But decent bucks are hard to kill out there, always.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #63
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Good luck. Look for areas with lots of short scrub oaks, covered with acorns.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #64
MetalMan2004
Spike

Quote:
Thats good to hear that things arenít too busted up. Better luck to you today. It seems that things were slow everywhere yesterday. Turns out mid-70s isntít proper deer weather.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #65
Thumper
Pope & Young

1st rifle hunt pretty much a bust, how were the mosquitos?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #66
MetalMan2004
Spike

No one has anymore details about season one???
Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 AM   #67
houstonhunter2
Nubbin' Buck

Couple 8pts, couple 6pts, couple spikes, couple doe, couple hogs... not bad, but not great for 90 hunters? Challenges included full moons, morning fog, warm weather, and that tall grass... mosquitoes were manageable. I'd hunt there again
houstonhunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #68
Thumper
Pope & Young

That's 10 critters down for 90 hunters, roughly 12% success rate. Normally for the opening gun hunt its 35% to 45%.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #69
MetalMan2004
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhunter2 View Post
Couple 8pts, couple 6pts, couple spikes, couple doe, couple hogs... not bad, but not great for 90 hunters? Challenges included full moons, morning fog, warm weather, and that tall grass... mosquitoes were manageable. I'd hunt there again
Thanks for the info. Iíve been brainstorming about how to get above the grass but havenít really come up with anything. There is no way Iím hauling a tripod out there... guess Iíll have to keep on thinking.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #70
jason86
Ten Point

Need to be in a tripod, I tried stalking/still hunting and couldn't see jack unless I was in a fire break, grass is to darn tall. If I was on a fire break I would have to react quickly to get a shot as there is no reason for deer to stop in them. Mesquitos were bad but manageable with good spray and thermocell. I had to leave early due to a family emergency but for sure could have atleast killed pigs pretty easily. They love to root in the fire breaks and are easy Pickens there. Like said before the fog,heat, and full moon were challenges. I tried rattling a bit with no luck. All the bucks that I saw brought in were not wet on their haucks and didn't smell rutted up at all. Saw very few acorns as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #71
jason86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
Thanks for the info. Iíve been brainstorming about how to get above the grass but havenít really come up with anything. There is no way Iím hauling a tripod out there... guess Iíll have to keep on thinking.
You will struggle if you don't get in the air. Get a light one it will make the hunt much more enjoyable. It's worth spending to coin. Don't climb the trees lol I got a bad case of poison oak on my scout day. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #72
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Quote:
Need to be in a tripod, I tried stalking/still hunting and couldn't see jack unless I was in a fire break, grass is to darn tall. If I was on a fire break I would have to react quickly to get a shot as there is no reason for deer to stop in them. Mesquitos were bad but manageable with good spray and thermocell. I had to leave early due to a family emergency but for sure could have atleast killed pigs pretty easily. They love to root in the fire breaks and are easy Pickens there. Like said before the fog,heat, and full moon were challenges. I tried rattling a bit with no luck. All the bucks that I saw brought in were not wet on their haucks and didn't smell rutted up at all. Saw very few acorns as well.
Those things you are calling fire breaks, are probably old senderos created either for pipe lines, or seismograph work. They will cut trails and run a line of thumper trucks across the place. Many times we have been out there, they were run the seismograph tumper trucks, across the place, every time they did so, they cut new senderos.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #73
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post

Where are you located?

I've been bowhunting the refuge for over 45yrs. You need at least a 6' tripod for the rifle hunt. I've got a light weight one you can borrow.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #74
jason86
Ten Point

Quote:
Those things you are calling fire breaks, are probably old senderos created either for pipe lines, or seismograph work. They will cut trails and run a line of thumper trucks across the place. Many times we have been out there, they were run the seismograph tumper trucks, across the place, every time they did so, they cut new senderos.
That is what the federal game warden/ranger called them.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #75
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
That is what the federal game warden/ranger called them.

Actually they are a good many fire breaks that are cut and maintained by the refuge for their burn program. Each pasture along the shore line gets burned once every three years or so. Well unless the wind picks up or changes then the whole **** thing burns.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #76
RifleBowPistol
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Actually they are a good many fire breaks that are cut and maintained by the refuge for their burn program. Each pasture along the shore line gets burned once every three years or so. Well unless the wind picks up or changes then the whole **** thing burns.
I know they burn areas out there often. But I also know they do a lot of seismograph work out there, or at least used to often. Many times we hunted there years ago, there were fires smoldering. I have read there stories about how the Indians used to do burns to clear out the thick brush and create more grassy areas. Then the white setters did not do so when they took over and the areas along the cost that like the refuge, became over grown and very dense.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #77
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know they burn areas out there often. But I also know they do a lot of seismograph work out there, or at least used to often. Many times we hunted there years ago, there were fires smoldering. I have read there stories about how the Indians used to do burns to clear out the thick brush and create more grassy areas. Then the white setters did not do so when they took over and the areas along the cost that like the refuge, became over grown and very dense.
For 100's of thousands of years grass fires from lightening strikes on the TX coastal plains would burn for weeks because there were no fire breaks(highways/roads) and no one was there to put them out. I'm pretty sure the Indians burned to control the mosquitoes.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #78
MetalMan2004
Spike

Quote:
You will struggle if you don't get in the air. Get a light one it will make the hunt much more enjoyable. It's worth spending to coin. Don't climb the trees lol I got a bad case of poison oak on my scout day. Good luck.
Yikes! Last time I got poison oak it was so bad that my wife (girlfriend at the time) bought one of everything in the rash section at CVS. Tried each one in a different spot to see what worked best. Interestingly enough I found it helped to rotate between topical medicines as they seemed to lose their effectiveness after a day or two. Also cold showers.

Wish you the best with the family emergency.

Last edited by MetalMan2004; 11-15-2017 at 07:53 AM..
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #79
MetalMan2004
Spike

Quote:
Where are you located?

I've been bowhunting the refuge for over 45yrs. You need at least a 6' tripod for the rifle hunt. I've got a light weight one you can borrow.
Thats very generous of you. PM sent. Thats a way better deal than trying to climb a try (my original plan) where I hear there is poison oak waiting for me

This is supposed to be a budget hunt and Iím trying to walk the line beteween new equipment I need to make this hunt successful and spending too much dough to make it worth it.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #80
Thumper
Pope & Young

The Aransas hunt is never a budget hunt, not unless you live near the refuge.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-15-2017 at 08:01 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #81
MetalMan2004
Spike

Quote:
The Aransas hunt is never a budget hunt, not unless you live near the refuge.
Hunting is an expensive sport anyways so I guess its all relative.

Nice chatting with you on the phone. I'll touch base with you again soon.