Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #551
daniel044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Good looking deer! Got some good mass on him.
daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #552
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Nice bucks and ram, y'all!

We're trying to decide what constitutes a "trophy" and what a management buck is on our place. Honestly, they'd all be management bucks and culls in most other areas of the state. I've had one trailcam pic of a 10pt (back in the summer). We have 1 mature 9pt that is a decent buck. Everything else is an 8 or less. Some of the mature 8s are decent (120-130 class deer. Some are little short-tined basket racks. There are a few crap rack mature 6s or other jacked up rack, no browtines, etc. obvious culls.

We'll have zero impact on the low fence genetics, regardless of which bucks we shoot. But our lease allows us 1 trophy and 1 cull each. I'm there for the axis mostly. But we'll shoot some whitetail too. What do some of y'all call a trophy or a management or cull buck in this area?
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #553
TexZ71
Ten Point

Yeah he was pretty heavy horned
TexZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #554
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
Pretty slow weekend for us. Cold front coming in this week should pick things up a little. Did any of you guys see bucks chasing does? We saw some bucks running nose down kinda through me off as I would figure a couple more weeks before the start.
We saw them running does too, never been this early before.
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #555
TexZ71
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightinaggies View Post
We saw them running does too, never been this early before.
They weren't even close to changing does at my lease!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #556
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Nice bucks and ram, y'all!

We're trying to decide what constitutes a "trophy" and what a management buck is on our place. Honestly, they'd all be management bucks and culls in most other areas of the state. I've had one trailcam pic of a 10pt (back in the summer). We have 1 mature 9pt that is a decent buck. Everything else is an 8 or less. Some of the mature 8s are decent (120-130 class deer. Some are little short-tined basket racks. There are a few crap rack mature 6s or other jacked up rack, no browtines, etc. obvious culls.

We'll have zero impact on the low fence genetics, regardless of which bucks we shoot. But our lease allows us 1 trophy and 1 cull each. I'm there for the axis mostly. But we'll shoot some whitetail too. What do some of y'all call a trophy or a management or cull buck in this area?
I just re-negotiated this with the landowner of our place last weekend. A "trophy" on our place is supposed to be 4 years old and more than 8 points. A "management" buck is any 8 point that is at least 3 years old. A cull is a buck with no brow tines, spike, or any deer that looks older than a yearling and has less than 8 points. There are so many "trash" deer on our place that we don't limit the "culls". Kids, grandkids, guests, inlaws, can all shoot a cull if they come out. We really need to remove LOTS of mouths from our property. I'm not a fan of "culling" young deer in most cases but out there it's necessary.
BowSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #557
Ag_Attack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

Same on our place as BowSlayer, except trophies are 10 points. Too many deer and plenty of trash to go around.
Ag_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #558
Shane
Pope & Young

I wish we had a 10point on our 1,300 acres.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #559
WTN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

We’ve had good results by simply managing for mature deer. We take very few mgt/cull bucks and nothing younger than 4 1/2.

An old deer on a low fence hill country place is a trophy in my book regardless of score.

With natural mortality rates, neighbor harvest, etc., we try to get as many bucks to maturity as we can. We encourage shooting of doe over mgt/cull bucks. We don’t want everyone trying to find the largest mgt/cull buck they can find that fits into some points/age criteria. Many of those could be our future trophies.

Last edited by WTN; 11-09-2017 at 02:32 PM..
WTN is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #560
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Weve had good results by simply managing for mature deer. We take very few mgt/cull bucks and nothing younger than 4 1/2.

An old deer on a low fence hill country place is a trophy in my book regardless of score.

With natural mortality rates, neighbor harvest, etc., we try to get as many bucks to maturity as we can. We encourage shooting of doe over mgt/cull bucks. We dont want everyone trying to find the largest mgt/cull buck they can find that fits into some points/age criteria. Many of those could be our future trophies.
We do the same thing.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #561
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTN View Post
Weve had good results by simply managing for mature deer. We take very few mgt/cull bucks and nothing younger than 4 1/2.

With natural mortality rates, neighbor harvest, etc., we try to get as many bucks to maturity as we can. We encourage shooting of doe over mgt/cull bucks. We dont want everyone trying to find the largest mgt/cull buck they can find that fits into some points/age criteria. Many of those could be our future trophies.
We have way too many deer for that. I can't imagine only shooting mature bucks.... we are over-run with bucks as it is.
BowSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #562
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

I have a couple hunters on the ranch this week and they said the bucks are running hard. They are seeing 20 bucks every hunt and a lot are chasing does. I think the Bucks are ready, but not the does.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #563
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

Quote:
Sounds familiar!!! Every year I say man with all these decent bucks we should have some nice ones next year or two! Been saying that a long time now! Oh well! Beats the hell out of deer hunting N La!!!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #564
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Sounds familiar!!! Every year I say man with all these decent bucks we should have some nice ones next year or two! Been saying that a long time now! Oh well! Beats the hell out of deer hunting N La!!!
Yeah, and I knew that going in to this lease. I'm not there for whitetail. I'm there for the axis. I'll kill a couple whitetail just 'cause they're there. Still fun. But if I ever want to have a lease for trophy whitetail instead of axis, I'll move to a different area.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #565
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

Quote:
Yeah, and I knew that going in to this lease. I'm not there for whitetail. I'm there for the axis. I'll kill a couple whitetail just 'cause they're there. Still fun. But if I ever want to have a lease for trophy whitetail instead of axis, I'll move to a different area.
My sentiments exactly!
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #566
daniel044
Eight Point

Any updates from this weekend? Bucks running does yet?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #567
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel044 View Post
Any updates from this weekend? Bucks running does yet?
Bucks are definitely rutting. I had a nice 8 pointer come in on Saturday morning, but he didn't have much interest in corn. He was just chasing does. I got to watch him rake a tree and make a scrape, which was really cool. Sika are rutting as well. I was hearing constant bugling while in the blind. I was covered up with deer of all kinds on both of my sits on Friday and Saturday.

I had the biggest Sika I've seen on this property come in Friday evening. When he finally settled down to eat, I flung an arrow at him and whiffed...right underneath his armpit. I was sick. I then remembered that I had adjusted my one pin sight down to 20 yards because of the axis doe I was going to attempt to shoot. He was standing at 32...in the heat of the moment I forgot to adjust my sight. He would have been a wall hanger for me. I've replayed that shot in my head 100 times and I'm still really upset with myself. I'm heading back out there Thanksgiving evening for a few days. I'm hoping to get another crack at him.
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #568
daniel044
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyag15 View Post
Bucks are definitely rutting. I had a nice 8 pointer come in on Saturday morning, but he didn't have much interest in corn. He was just chasing does. I got to watch him rake a tree and make a scrape, which was really cool. Sika are rutting as well. I was hearing constant bugling while in the blind. I was covered up with deer of all kinds on both of my sits on Friday and Saturday.

I had the biggest Sika I've seen on this property come in Friday evening. When he finally settled down to eat, I flung an arrow at him and whiffed...right underneath his armpit. I was sick. I then remembered that I had adjusted my one pin sight down to 20 yards because of the axis doe I was going to attempt to shoot. He was standing at 32...in the heat of the moment I forgot to adjust my sight. He would have been a wall hanger for me. I've replayed that shot in my head 100 times and I'm still really upset with myself. I'm heading back out there Thanksgiving evening for a few days. I'm hoping to get another crack at him.
That will make you sick! Well good luck next week. I am going to be out at our place Friday through Thanksgiving so I was trying to prepare myself for long sits if they are rutting.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #569
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Quote:
That will make you sick! Well good luck next week. I am going to be out at our place Friday through Thanksgiving so I was trying to prepare myself for long sits if they are rutting.
Good luck to you as well! The long range forecast is looking good from the end of this week through the Thanksgiving weekend, so there's no reason animals shouldn't be moving!
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #570
bhamilton2
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sonora, Sutton County
Default Looking Toward Getting in Woods This Weekend

Good to know that Bucks maybe running does this weekend through Thanksgiving.
bhamilton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #571
TexZ71
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexZ71 View Post
Some nice bucks!

I shot an older 9 point I've been watching for the last few years.
Attachment 882042
Attachment 882043

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was a little surprised, he ended up scoring 140 and some change.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #572
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora

Awesome we are headed down Friday and will be there through next week as well. Good luck to everyone.
IAFFHunter18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #573
STICKIT
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and S. Texas when I can

I saw a few mature bucks that really wanted to be layed up with a girlfriend, like said earlier they are just not ready yet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
STICKIT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 PM   #574
hunterburch42
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Ozona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Phantom View Post
Ive got 7-9 days to hunt our place west of Sonora, when the best week??

I hunt west of Ozona best time for use is the week of thanksgiving we have seen the most buck activity. Have to be quick chasing does hard and dont stop till the begiging of december. Good luck.
hunterburch42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #575
Bisch
Pope & Young

Quote:

You must hunt near where I live. There are lots of deer here, and I have yet to see a main frame with more than 8pts!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #576
Tree Phantom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Striker area
Default Sonora TX 2017-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterburch42 View Post
I hunt west of Ozona best time for use is the week of thanksgiving we have seen the most buck activity. Have to be quick chasing does hard and dont stop till the begiging of december. Good luck.

Do shooter bucks jump into the feed pens? Hehe

Tree Phantom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #577
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
You must hunt near where I live. There are lots of deer here, and I have yet to see a main frame with more than 8pts!

Bisch

We have one 9pt.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM   #578
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

You aren't alone. I swear the bucks are born with 8 points and they die with 8 points! Not one buck has been seen on camera or on the hoof with more.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #579
Doublelunger
Nubbin' Buck

We have 9s and 10s. We just haven't seen any bucks older than 3 1/2 yet. This is our 1st year on the lease and I'm hoping they're just not showing up yet with how much they have to eat but we really didn't see anything at the protein feeders this summer either. I'm hopeful the rut change will change that but I figured we would have at least caught a glimpse when they were in bachelor groups
Doublelunger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #580
Grant2
Ten Point

Will be headed up to the ranch on Friday and staying 15 days hoping to run into big boy. Last I heard the Bucks are running hard, so it should be just right timing will see.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #581
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harris County and looking to join a Lease.

Looking for a lease in this area for next year. I only bowhunt and it will only be me hunting. I work offshore and will probably only be able to go twice during season pm if anyone expects to have any openings.
TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #582
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

Heading out in the morning. Hunting a ranch a few miles south of Eldorado off of 2596. Hunting Friday-Tuesday. Hopefully they will be moving around some.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #583
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Headed out in the morning. Looking like some good weather through next week. Good luck to everyone.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:11 AM   #584
Grant2
Ten Point

Finally arrived at 1:30 in the morning long day for us. Going to sleep in and let the wind die down some and hunt the afternoon. Good luck to you guys and keep the post coming.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #585
daniel044
Eight Point

Our bucks have no interest in Doe’s right now. So I guess we may see a late rut
Old 11-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #586
Grant2
Ten Point

Saw the GW today. That’s the first time I have been checked in 15yrs very nice guy.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #587
TeamHoyt83
Nubbin' Buck

First time on TBH. We've been hunting Sonora for 3 years but this is the first year on a new lease. We were south of town and moved a little further west this year due to our group expanding and needing a little more land. I've read through the post and seen some inconsistent rut updates. I haven't been able to make it back up since opening weekend but a few of our guys are up there now and are seeing no signs of the rut beginning. On our old property it seemed to start right on thanksgiving. Keep the updates coming and good luck to everyone this week!!!
TeamHoyt83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #588
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

I heard some talk at the feed store saying pig man and some guys were helicopter hunting pigs north of town. Had some guys upset saying they were stirring everything up including the deer? Anyone else heard anything?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #589
WhiskeyFire
Nubbin' Buck

Thumbs up

Quote:
Our bucks have no interest in Does right now. So I guess we may see a late rut
I've seen some bucks taking interest. Can't wait to get back to the lease this weekend.
WhiskeyFire is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #590
Grant2
Ten Point

The bucks are on the move just be patient.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #591
WhiskeyFire
Nubbin' Buck

Who's in Sonora ? Any good updates ? I'm here and ready to sit by the fire and drink whiskey!
WhiskeyFire is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #592
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Just got home. Bucks are really starting to chase at our place and new bucks showing up we have not seen before. The next 7 days will be prime. Going back Friday morning and staying till Sunday. We have some STUDs on camera and saw a monster driving back to camp today chasing a doe up a hill. Can't wait to get back.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #593
TexZ71
Ten Point

Just got back today. I'm not seeing any bucks chasing does on our place. I had 3 mature bucks camped out under my feeder every hunt for the last 3 days.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #594
Sackett
Pope & Young

We're any of you driving home Tuesday in a Crew Cab F150 towing a Ranger Crew? If so, that was my daughter and I giving y'all the Air Bow from. Green F250 Crew. Saw you between Junction and Sonora heading East around 1:30 or so.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 12:43 AM   #595
Ag_Attack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sutton/Val Verde/Edwards

We killed a big mature buck last weekend and he was only focused on the feed. No rut activity seen by anyone on our lease so far.
Ag_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #596
STICKIT
Six Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and S. Texas when I can

I bet this morning they are moving. Camera is showing 27 degrees.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
STICKIT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #597
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

We're making good time this morning! Hopefully get there by lunchtime!!

Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM   #598
BrianG
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
We're any of you driving home Tuesday in a Crew Cab F150 towing a Ranger Crew? If so, that was my daughter and I giving y'all the Air Bow from. Green F250 Crew. Saw you between Junction and Sonora heading East around 1:30 or so.

Lol..that was me.

BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #599
Grant2
Ten Point

One thing I noticed was with a cold North wind the deer did not move very well, with a South wind the deer moved very well. I thought the cold north wind would turn them on, but it did not kinda weird. One of our hunters shot a very bid deer last week chasing a doe, so they are starting to show just be patient.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM   #600
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Lol..that was me.

Good deal......wasn't sure if you saw me or not. I'm waiting on a Green TBH sticker so don't have one on the truck yet.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top