Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

Default Guest Mistake Stories...

Post up your hunting guest mistake stories if you have them. Another member of this forum had a guest this weekend on whitetail doe patrol but had green light on an axis or blackbuck. No white tail bucks!!

Dude ended up shooting a whitetail with double drops pushing 170.

My most memorable was being invited to a supplier's lease for a hunt along with about 8 others. The rules were that the buck needed to be mature and typical. This was a corporate lease in Leakey area and the land owner didn't want anything with non-typical traits shot. They also were allowed a few axis bucks and these were drawn for between hunts.

First morning I had a middle aged buck main frame 10 walk out in front of me. It was a nice deer but also had triple brows on one side and double on the other along with some small bumps for double drops on either side. In other words the opposite of the 'clean' animal they were looking for.

Deer went down the hill and about 30 minutes later I heard the shot. Guy who shot it changed his story 5 times during the rest of the day and finally settled on "I knew he was big but his head was in a tree and I couldn't really tell what he was."

I figured not identifying the animal before shooting was probably the worst excuse you come up with and the owner of the ranch agreed. She took the horns from him and charged the vendor we were with 7500.00 and was threatening to kick them off the place. Greatest part of the story is the guy who shot the buck and got them in trouble made sure he hung around even after he pretty much got them kicked off the place to see if he would get drawn to hunt an axis.
UncleCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
JAGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

That's the hardest part about hunting IMO, getting people to follow the rules/management plan.
JAGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My guests hunt in the blind with me... They do not shoot unless I approve of the shot... Been burned before... never again!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

This thread should have some good stories. I went on a management hunt for cull bucks earlier this year to shoot 4.5 year or older 8 points or less. First afternoon I have a really nice 8 point (16 inch spread) come out that was at least 4.5 years old but played it on the safe side and did not take him. We found him on the trail camera and I was given the green light. Took a couple hunts but I got another shot at him and took him. I just can't see screwing up an invitation like that to shoot something you know you're not supposed to.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
scissorhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels

this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
scissorhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
apc10
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

The craziest story I have is from a guy I work with.

He always hunts on his friend's property, which is MLD, and the owner had just gotten a couple $20k bucks out there the year before. That February, the owner brought a couple of them out there to shoot does. They hear one of the guys shoot a couple times, so he figures he shot 2 does. When they go pick him up, he said he has 2 huge bodied does on the ground. When they went to pick the deer up, both deer he had shot were the ear tagged bucks, but they had shed their antlers already. From what I heard the owner didn't charge him, but he is still getting his money's worth out of the guy in free labor. And probably will be for years to come.
apc10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
160class
Ten Point

Hunt In: Catarina, TX

I heard of a guy going hog hunting at night on a place as a guest and he had his gf or something with him and was trying to show off and shot what he thought was a big hog turned out to be the owners prized bull that he had just bought!!
160class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
kraigrrr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson county, Hagerman area

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc10 View Post

He always hunts on his friend's property, which is MLD, and the owner had just gotten a couple $20k bucks out there the year before. That February, the owner brought a couple of them out there to shoot does. They hear one of the guys shoot a couple times, so he figures he shot 2 does. When they go pick him up, he said he has 2 huge bodied does on the ground. When they went to pick the deer up, both deer he had shot were the ear tagged bucks, but they had shed their antlers already. From what I heard the owner didn't charge him, but he is still getting his money's worth out of the guy in free labor. And probably will be for years to come.
Ouch!
kraigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

I was hunting 1 of 5 oryx on my buddies place. Been after him 3 different weekends. I could have shot any of em but I was sold on the one.
Finally he had em patterned enough to get a good set up going.
The oryx started coming through the brush about 30 yards away and I had about a 2' opening to get an arrow through the brush. The heart and lungs were exposed but I couldn't tell which one it was. I didn't want to shoot.
Wind shifted they split and the one that I could have shot was the one I was after.
I don't really consider it a mistake but think about it often.
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
GatorBait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere my wife lets me.

I would down-right refuse to hunt anywhere that I had to be babysat. A $20K buck? What the heck was you hunting? Unicorn? Sorry just have no experience hunting deer anywhere like that, seems to cheapen it a little IMO, but to each his own.
GatorBait is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
GTXHUNTER88
Ten Point

Hunt In: The world

my favorite video. But ya have had a few mistakes I don't get too angry at them I'm more of a well...what's done is done...good kill man type of guy. or hit them with the $1,500 fine for breaking management rules...depends on the person

Last edited by GTXHUNTER88; 11-13-2013 at 02:24 PM..
GTXHUNTER88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
GTXHUNTER88
Ten Point

Hunt In: The world

well poop already got beaten to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
this video cracks me up.

GTXHUNTER88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBait View Post
I would down-right refuse to hunt anywhere that I had to be babysat. A $20K buck? What the heck was you hunting? Unicorn? Sorry just have no experience hunting deer anywhere like that, seems to cheapen it a little IMO, but to each his own.
Could way to miss out on some awesome opportunities. I have the privilege of hunting on a huge MLD property by Iraan, and the only thing we are allowed to shoot are old farts, culls, and does. Needless to say I have only shot does the last three years out there because I am not going to take the chance of dragging in a buck they were letting go thinking it is a cull. Now if the guy taking me is sitting beside me and says shoot em then by all means it is game on, but it is not worth loosing privileges for a set of horns.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
keestan31
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Tx

I brought a few clients on a meat hunt a few years back on a high fence exotic ranch in Junction that my cousin was running. Well we get there and the owner of the place his wife and family are there and are going to be hunting with us, no big deal for me. Well the guys with my were always talking about hunting and how good of a shot they are etc. We get there the first day and go out to shoot their rifles to make sure they are on and one guy can't even hit the board holding the target. So the owner of the property offers up his custom built .308 loaded out with Zeiss scope the whole nine yards. We go out for the evening hunt and I hear a few shots, but when we get back everybody says they didn't shoot. No big deal maybe the shots came from a neighboring property. Well as we are pulling up my guest that has the owners rifle is getting out of the jeep and drops his custom rifle from the back of the jeep onto the concrete. Well that sure is a great way of getting things started. Well the rest of the hunting goes fine they kill a few axis does the next morning and evening. Then on Sunday everyone is packing up and I make a trip over to the guide camp to visit with my cousin a little while before leaving and on my way back I see a big group of buzzards circling and landing a little ways behind a feeder, so I get out my truck and walk over to find a dead axis doe. The shots I heard from the first afternoon were one of my guests, I still to this day haven't figured out why he denied shooting and didn't want to atleast go look for the deer. Needless to say that trip ending up being a little more than we planned an extra doe and a new Zeiss scope for the owners rifle. I was much more embarrassed/frustrated because I knew the owner and my cousin ran the place than I was about the extra cost.
keestan31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #15
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160class View Post
I heard of a guy going hog hunting at night on a place as a guest and he had his gf or something with him and was trying to show off and shot what he thought was a big hog turned out to be the owners prized bull that he had just bought!!
I've had this happen before with a guest on our place. Let's just say he paid for the bull, and no one in the area lets him hunt on their place if cattle are present. Needless to say, everyone runs cattle. How you mistake a 2100 lb black angus for a pig will be something I will never understand.
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

Guy was invited to hunt a buddies place a couple years ago. This old man loved to shoot everything he could. He knew better, but messed up. He shot a spike first which was cool. Threw that one in the truck and he says I got another one over there but think I might have messed up. We got up to the deer and could tell he was small bodied. I was sick when I saw that it was a 1.5 year old 11 point with split G2s! Still had milk on his lips! Guy said he swore he counted 8 points! He couldn't tell that the deer wasn't half the size of the spike he just shot pryor!

Last edited by captainsling; 11-13-2013 at 02:56 PM..
captainsling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
DownRange
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stephens County

That video is priceless
DownRange is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
southtexaslayer
Six Point

Hunt In: George West Tx

my brother brought an electrician friend out to come kill off a doe or a small crud buck and we said only shoot a 4 point or smaller or a doe. well an hour later we hear a shot and he calls and said he screwed up....
he shot a 9 point 130ish deer which is a good deer for our low fenced place and assumed we meant 4 points on one side like 4x4 not just a 4 pointer. He was extremely remorseful and embarrassed but the deer ended up being over 6 years old so he needed to go. Needless to say he did some electrical work for us for free for a few weekends. He hasnt sat in a stand since.
southtexaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #19
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by apc10 View Post

Brutal.

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
TB80
Ten Point

We invited a man and his son out to shoot ONE doe between the two of them. No spikes/bucks. Only one doe total. When we came to pick them up, they had four deer on the ground: two doe and two nubbin' bucks. We were not happy.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
thorshammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXHUNTER88 View Post
Sweiny shoots the wrong deer at the Perlitz Ranch - YouTube
my favorite video. But ya have had a few mistakes I don't get too angry at them I'm more of a well...what's done is done...good kill man type of guy. or hit them with the $1,500 fine for breaking management rules...depends on the person

Pretty good acting... This was staged though.
thorshammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
LWR2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, Bandera

My father used to run a property in Falfurrias for his company before he passed. He had two of the largest Steel MFG Sales reps out for a hunt. We had some really nice deer and had really given them the green light on any mature deer they wanted to take. My dad took one of the guys and I took the other. He was from PA and was very adamant on his hunting abilities. Really an *** and very arrogant. So we come to the first gate and he gets out of the truck with gun in hand and I thought he was opening the gate. Next thing I know he is shooting at a 6 point buck standing in the brush line. Buck drops in his tracks and the guy yells out " How's that you **** redneck". Kinda got a little ****** but what he did not know is we had to pass through another persons land to get to our property and the land owner called the game warden and he was sighted for unlawfully taking a deer without permission. Felt bad for about a minute, but I can still remember him yelling after the shot!
HOW'S THAT YOU **** REDNECK!

Last edited by LWR2; 11-13-2013 at 03:11 PM..
LWR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
HUNTING_COACH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Stonewall, Gillespie County, Anywhere I can

Quote:
this video cracks me up.

Heard that the video was set-up. That was a paying hunter and they made the video, to make people think that he made a mistake.

Heard it from a pretty good source too.
HUNTING_COACH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWR2 View Post
My father used to run a property in Falfurrias for his company before he passed. He had two of the largest Steel MFG Sales reps out for a hunt. We had some really nice deer and had really given them the green light on any mature deer they wanted to take. My dad took one of the guys and I took the other. He was from PA and was very adamant on his hunting abilities. Really an *** and very arrogant. So we come to the first gate and he gets out of the truck with gun in hand and I thought he was opening the gate. Next thing I know he is shooting at a 6 point buck standing in the brush line. Buck drops in his tracks and the guy yells out " How's that you **** redneck". Kinda got a little ****** but what he did not know is we had to pass through another persons land to get to our property and the land owner called the game warden and he was sighted for unlawfully taking a deer without permission. Felt bad for about a minute, but I can still remember him yelling after the shot!
HOW'S THAT YOU **** REDENECK!
boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
thorshammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
Heard that the video was set-up. That was a paying hunter and they made the video, to make people think that he made a mistake.

Heard it from a pretty good source too.
Yes, it was.

http://www.perlitzranch.com/bigdeer/
thorshammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

had a friend out on a late season antlerless/spike season hunt for does only. Walking back to the truck he shot a 3 point buck thinking it would pass AR restrictions so it must be good during spike season. Wrong!! Spike season is a true spike. None of this 1 un-branched AR stuff. And it wasn't a doe...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #27
160class
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldg6 View Post
I've had this happen before with a guest on our place. Let's just say he paid for the bull, and no one in the area lets him hunt on their place if cattle are present. Needless to say, everyone runs cattle. How you mistake a 2100 lb black angus for a pig will be something I will never understand.
My favorite part about it was that once someone shoots a cow it becomes a prized cow and costs soo much money!! They aren't worth that much if you don't shoot them!!

And idk how you can do that either!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
KHoes203
Ten Point

Had a friend of a friend at our place I drop him and his son off at their stand then go get settled in my pop up 600 yards off or so. 10 min later I hear a shot and it sounded funny as I knew they had a .270. Thought o well and after hunt I asked them and they did not say much then later on they told us that they had been messing with the gun in the blind and had all windows closed and it went off and went straight through the roof. Mind you this is an atascosa blind that is all metal. They did not have much hearing left in them.
KHoes203 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Quote:
My favorite part about it was that once someone shoots a cow it becomes a prized cow and costs soo much money!! They aren't worth that much if you don't shoot them!!

My father had purchased the bull one month before it was killed. The guy paid the exact amount my father did. Clean head shot too, so there was no mistake on what killed the bull. The guy at least admitted to killing the bull. It was a little tough to make him pull out the check book, though. All in the past now.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
160class
Ten Point

Quote:
My father had purchased the bull one month before it was killed. The guy paid the exact amount my father did. Clean head shot too, so there was no mistake on what killed the bull. The guy at least admitted to killing the bull. It was a little tough to make him pull out the check book, though. All in the past now.
Oh I understand completely what you're saying, but I've heard of people paying a lot more for a bull or cow they shot than what was initially paid

As long as both parties are honest with each other nothing to get too into it over
Old 11-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #31
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Quote:
Oh I understand completely what you're saying, but I've heard of people paying a lot more for a bull or cow they shot than what was initially paid

As long as both parties are honest with each other nothing to get too into it over
You hit the nail right on the head. We were all good.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
mjbtexas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Nebraska, Missouri

i know a guy who has been on a ranch with elk and was allowed to shoot 1 cow. he shot one and it ran off, "didnt think i hit it" he says. So he shot another. Walked up to 2 dead cow.

the year before he was allowed to shoot an 8, killed a 3.5 year old 10. Year before, killed a 4.5 year old 9. rough! landowner was extremely gracious....

i would like a shot at his place too and for what he wants me to shoot!
mjbtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #33
ExtremeHunter80
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise, Montague, and Uvalde Counties

I took Kody (catchemifyoucan) out to hunt last season on a private property around the grasslands to try and kill his first deer. This was a property my step dad and his brother had previously owned and sold to some fellars in Dallas for a tax write off to them. Well they continued to allow us to hunt, but my step uncle I guess had leased some of the hunting rights to a friend of his and allowed him to hunt with us. Well me and Kody showed up, and I had intended on putting him in a different stand, but Kody left his quiver full of arrows at the house. Since it was too late to go back and get them I just set him in a stand close to where I was, in which was the leasee's stand. Keep in mind he was not hunting, just observing at this point. Well the leasee showed up, and wound up kicking him out of the tree and wound up being a way bigger deal than what it was. Lol no deer shot though!
ExtremeHunter80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
UncleCharlie
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
My guests hunt in the blind with me... They do not shoot unless I approve of the shot... Been burned before... never again!
Us too. We started by pretty much trusting guys on their stated abilities. Mistakes were made and then we progressed to showing pictures and videos of specific deer and even that didn't work.

Now they hunt with someone or they don't hunt.

The straw that broke our back was a high 150s eleven point that was 4.5ish. By this point pretty much every one on the lease had seen him and let him go to see what he became. We talked about him over camp fires and about his potential.

We brought a client to hunt for the weekend. Put him in a specific stand for a management 9 and showed him 20 minutes of video of the deer he was after. We hear the shot and go to pick him up and it's not the 9 but the up and comer. We asked why he shot this buck and he said, "When he stepped out I knew that he was a no doubter."

The only no doubt about it was that he would never hunt with us again and we'd never let anyone hunt by themselves again.
UncleCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Invited a co-worker to hunt with us many years ago and he said he wanted to hunt on the ground. I was a little hesitant but agreed and told him to hunt the creek down from camp and do not go past the fork in the creek. I figured he would dress out in camo and we hunted away from the creek so no problem.
We come in from the moring hunt and another hunter says he spotted this guy walking through the woods decked out in hunter orange, head to toe. Then another hunter said he had seen him too, along with a 3rd hunter spotting him. He had crossed the creek and walked a pretty good circle through the lease and finally walked back into camp after lunch. He had an old hand warmer in his pocket that was activating some kind of urine scent that made him completely unbearable, even down wind.
I had a good talk with him about deer lease rules and creek forks and how lucky he was that he didn't get shot. We put him in a box stand that evening and told him not to get down until we picked him up. He went home after the evening hunt, empty handed, and was never invited back.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Bowhunter4l1fe
Eight Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, Jim Hogg, and Starr Counties

A buddy and I went hunting with a vendor out near Junction years ago. We were told that any mature deer. We spent hours with this guy showing us pictures of deer bodies and charts and quizzing us. Every Place I have ever hunted has been a ranch that emphasized Maturity, so I understood the expectations. My friend had lived his entire life in the "if it's brown, put it down" comunity, so he was lacking a bit in the deer aging department.

The morning of the first hunt I see several nice deer that are 4.5 yo, but I don't shoot. The vendor picks me up and we arrive at the next stand to find my friend beaming about having a doe in the cooler. The stand was on a ridge line with the feeder about 125 yards away in a valley and it took about 15 minutes to get down to it. When we arrived we found a long yearling 9 point that went 105" 105" at 1.5 yo!!! The vendor didn't say a word for about an hour. When we got back to camp we jaw boned it for confirmation. Yup, it's a tiny little baby deer with all the potential in the world.

I was too embarrased to shoot anything after that and passed on several really nice deer that hunt. I have not hunted with either of them since...
Bowhunter4l1fe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #37
Carbon Poison
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker

My Gramps (grew up and lived in Great Falls, Montana) used to tell me a story about two New York city slicker reporters flew in to do a story on the Hungry Horse Dam in Montana. I believe the **** had just been completed. While there they thought they would try out some elk hunting. A land owner gave or sold them cow elk tags and gave them a map of an area of his property they could hunt. They drove to a valley on the property and started hunting. Well they showed up later that evening with their "cow elk". They shot, and quartered two of the land owners mules.

Its been a long time since I heard him tell that story, sure miss visiting and listening to all the stories.
Carbon Poison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXHUNTER88 View Post
Sweiny shoots the wrong deer at the Perlitz Ranch - YouTube
If that's the video i'm thinking of, it's funny as all get out!
BURTONboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #39
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke

Quote:

I take it you haven't bought any cattle lately.
adam_p is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #40
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Ok, I will fall on my sword and admit I was "that guy" one time. I did not start deer hunting until I was in my mid 20's (man, that's 30 years ago!) I was still very green and was invited to go to Jim Hogg County to a friend's family ranch - my first trip to south Texas. All he told me was "don't shoot a buck unless it is mature" - without specifying what that meant. Heck to me, mature meant "has big antlers!" First morning I blasted a 10 point with the biggest rack I had ever seen that was not hanging on a wall somewhere. My buddy came to get me - I was standing there about to bust with pride until I saw the look on his face. I said "he's a shooter, right?" He just stared at it - and me - and finally said "well, it looks like it was a shooter for you, so I guess so" I soon was told that the buck was only 2.5. Once it was explained to me I felt about 1" tall. He invited me back the next year but I was so paranoid I passed on some mature bucks I probably could have shot. I only shot a doe - I KNEW I could properly identify one of those!

Last edited by jerp; 11-13-2013 at 04:20 PM..
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #41
akey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

This seems appropriate here.

Last edited by akey; 11-13-2013 at 04:23 PM..
akey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #42
Tspurgin26
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka, fort stockton

This thread is awesome
Tspurgin26 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
DerekC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Quote:
this video cracks me up.

LOL, I have not seen that one in awhile, laugh every time.."Boy you are a dumb*****."
DerekC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #44
LWC
Ten Point

Me, my brother in law and two friends got permission to hunt a ranch around Throckmorton. The owner only bird hunted and did not hunt deer. We were given the green light to shoot only MATURE deer. This was a free hunt for opening rifle weekend and all we had to do was buy corn for a few feeders. One of my friends had never killed a deer and we spent all night explaining how to tell if a deer was mature. He says he understands. Opening morning I watch a couple of nice young 8 points wander by. They were good young deer. About 8:00 am I hear the 30-06 bark. I thought alright, my buddy got him a good one. Well I get over there to see his monster and it is a basket rack yearling 8 with maybe a 5 inch spread. The owner was none to happy and we were never invited back. To top it my truck broke down and we were stuck there another day and we had eaten and drank everything we brought. But I have to say, that young deer's backstrap was mighty tasty that last night :-)
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #45
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by akey View Post
HAHAHA! That's about right!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #46
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Took my know it all BIL hunting a few years ago. At this property in Bronte, the general consensus amongst my grand dad and his buddies was if it's brown it's down. No big deal as there were no real rules...except it was after December and was doe season only. I can understand shooting a spike and thinking it was a doe if the spikes were pretty small...but he shot a 3.5 year old 8 point. He still wanted the deer, but I told him he didn't want to pay for it and after he paid, the game warden still would not have let him keep it.

He does not understand why I won't invite him to hunt MY property.

Conversely, I took my other BIL hunting the day before...he had 5 doe lined up fixin to cross a fence line. He was cool as a cucumber and was asking which one to shoot while looking thru the scope. He will get invited.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
160class
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
I take it you haven't bought any cattle lately.
No I haven't but I what I do know is some people will charge alot more for a cow once it has been shot than what they would get for it at the sale.. What i was trying to say really that is once that cow is shot alot of them become the "prized" cow of the heard

And I am not saying that is everyone, but some people do that..
Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #48
Geraldg6
Eight Point

Quote:
No I haven't but I what I do know is some people will charge alot more for a cow once it has been shot than what they would get for it at the sale.. What i was trying to say really that is once that cow is shot alot of them become the "prized" cow of the heard

And I am not saying that is everyone, but some people do that..
In the sales world we like to refer those extra charges as Pain in the *** fees, or sometimes referred to as dumb*** fee.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #49
160class
Ten Point

Quote:
In the sales world we like to refer those extra charges as Pain in the *** fees, or sometimes referred to as dumb*** fee.
And I understand that

What is a bull going for now days??
Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #50
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I was part of a hunting group in the Leaky area back in the early 90s. The guy hosting us had a few rules. We could shot any sika, any 10 pt or better buck, and two whitetail doe. He also had a few Axis and asked us to shot them in the neck because several had been lost to the typical shoulder shot most make on a whitetail. The first morning one guy brings in two doe and all is good. That evening we go out and Im fortunate to take a nice 10 point buck. It was by far the biggest buck I had ever seen in my life. It is about 1 hr after dark and no one has come to pick me up. I start to think they have forgot about me and will figure it out and come pick me up sooner or later so I just drug my buck over to the road and sat down with him. More time passes and I finally see headlights. The guy picking me up seems a little weird and just loads up my deer and we head to the camp house. When I get there, all kind of tension is in the air. Turns out, the guy who shot two doe in the morning, shot two more that evening. Another fellow shot an 8 pt buck, claiming he thought it was a Sika buck, and the third guy shot an Axis in the shoulder instead of the neck. They tracked it to the neighbors fenceline and couldnt find it. No way to contact the neighbor for permission to continue the search so it was lost. Our host was some kinda ****** off, rightfully so, but it sure did put a dent in what should have been a celebration of my deer. My group was invited back year after year to hunt there but the other group had to pack their bags and head out the next morning. These were customers of his and they never got invited back. I think they thought since they were customers they could shoot whatever they wanted with no consequences. Wrong.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top