Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #251
FF36
Eight Point

Hunt In: Laneville/Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2grunts View Post
We finally saw deer Sunday morning. A mature doe w/ a young buck. The doe spotted us and ran off. The buck followed her. Didnít get a shot.
Another unit member saw a really nice buck bot same scenario as us.
Heard someone shot a 9 pointer.
That is tuff hunting for an 11 and 13 year old.
I'm going to be just beside where yall were on Unit 10 this weekend. Hoping to see some rut movement. Thanks for the info.
FF36 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #252
bullets13
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

We went a few years ago. Unit 7 maybe? Can't remember. 4 of us hunted pretty hard, didn't see much in 3 days. We had to kill a doe or pig to get a buck tag. We could also shoot turkeys. One guy in my group saw two days at about 300 yds, no shot. Another saw a nice 10-point. Two of us saw nothing but endangered song birds. It's a tough hunt. Not sure I'd go back
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #253
boomerball
Eight Point

anyone been in unit 15 recently?
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #254
bullets13
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Talked to my dad. We were in unit 2. It wasn't great for us
bullets13 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #255
2grunts
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF36 View Post
I'm going to be just beside where yall were on Unit 10 this weekend. Hoping to see some rut movement. Thanks for the info.
Good luck. Let us know how you do.
2grunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #256
capn
Four Point

We hunted unit 7 over the weekend. My son killed a doe with a long, difficult shot the first evening right at dark, and we never saw another deer despite hunting hard the next two days. Covered a lot of ground and there really was very little deer sign. The other hunters I talked to that were experienced hunters also noted how little deer sign there was. There was ample hog sign but they were only moving at night. Never heard or saw any sign of turkeys. There were 10 kids on the unit 7 and only 3 deer killed. Most never saw a deer.

In orientation, they said that their deer counts were significantly lower than hill country counts and they weren't lying. They average an annual harvest of 30 deer per year... and that is all three hunting segments combined. I don't know how many people that is, but I know that there were a BUNCH of kids in orientation and they said many weren't there yet due to school. Would have expected 30 deer just during one weekend.

The scenery was unreal and the hiking was awesome. That made it well worth the adventure with my son. The hunting was poor, and honestly we could do better at any east Texas WMA... we just wouldn't have that amazing scenery in the back drop. I'd go back with my kids to hike and explore. I would not go back for an adult weekend as it's a low percentage hunt and not worth the expense of a road trip.
capn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #257
BassCathcer
Nubbin' Buck

Thanks for the numbers Capn. Very helpful. I'm heading out to scout unit #12 thursday. Maybe I'll find something worth reporting. Can't find anything about 12.
BassCathcer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 AM   #258
Cjwall88
Nubbin' Buck

Default Youth hunt unit 7

We hunted unit 7. First afternoon we hunted at cone H. We saw one buck and plenty of scrapes and rubs. Got there early on Saturday and got the box blind. My daughter shot a huge buck that we tracked for hours before finally losing blood. Very disappointing. But got back to blind around noon and sat til dark. Saw about 15 hogs and passed on em. Right at dark a mature doe came out and she got her first ever deer. Very exciting. Very hard place to hunt but with the memory we will hope to get drawn next year.
Cjwall88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #259
FF36
Eight Point

Talked to a Ranger today, He said Youth weekend one got a 11 point on Unit 11 and on Unit 2 a 9 point was taken, lots of does as well. I'm the only one on Unit 10. Looking forward to tomorrow to enjoy the hunt.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #260
FF36
Eight Point

Saw nothing today. 20mph winds and 89 degrees.... miserable. Did find out that that area is only a 25 percent success rate hunt. Moved my blind tonight so hopefully tomorrow will play out. Cooler temps but still the same wind...
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #261
potbelly01
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF36 View Post
Saw nothing today. 20mph winds and 89 degrees.... miserable. Did find out that that area is only a 25 percent success rate hunt. Moved my blind tonight so hopefully tomorrow will play out. Cooler temps but still the same wind...

How was the the rest of the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
potbelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #262
FF36
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by potbelly01 View Post
How was the the rest of the hunt.

Bust for me. I left around noon on Saturday. I had to leave Sunday morning for out of town Thanksgiving and watching the weather the cold wasnít going to be there until Sunday and with the winds and how hot it was I knew the odds were slim so I left to get things ready to go out of state for the Holidays. Found good signs. Iím sure others took deer Sunday but not me. Enjoyed my time. Watched a few hawks do work on field mice and things was pretty place to be.