Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #101
J-Raz
Spike

Hunt In: ??Need a Place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffDawg View Post
What do y'all think about using a pop-up on hood? I got a loc-on stand, and a pop-up. figured I could get 2 set-ups.
I personally would not leave it out there unless its in bad shape. Too easy to steal or vandalize and the sun and wind will do a number on it. Plus most of them set up quick and easy so its not much hassle.
J-Raz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #102
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wyoming, Fort Hood

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It is brand new, just bought it when I was home on R&R in Nov. Just wonder how the deer will react to it come deer season.
HoffDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #103
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It is brand new, just bought it when I was home on R&R in Nov. Just wonder how the deer will react to it come deer season.
If you selectively chose a location for the popup, it will have a minimal impact. I've got two setups where I clears some cedar branches on the back side of the trees and then placed the popup in between the trees. Use some 550 cord to tie back branches that may interfere with the shot. When done hunting, let the branches go back in place. Since I only shoot out one corner of the blind, I can get away with quite a bit. Just make sure to set out the blind to let it air out. I took about a week for mine to stop smelling like nylon or whatever they used. Above all, scent control going in, you have to play the wind.
ballisticbudda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #104
EdO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever, Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticbudda View Post
If you selectively chose a location for the popup, it will have a minimal impact. I've got two setups where I clears some cedar branches on the back side of the trees and then placed the popup in between the trees. Use some 550 cord to tie back branches that may interfere with the shot. When done hunting, let the branches go back in place. Since I only shoot out one corner of the blind, I can get away with quite a bit. Just make sure to set out the blind to let it air out. I took about a week for mine to stop smelling like nylon or whatever they used. Above all, scent control going in, you have to play the wind.

X2
EdO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #105
TXArrowSlinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft. Huachuca, Benson, Bisbee, anywhere I am invited, and anywhere possible!!!!

Hey y'all! Just a wuick note from Iraq. All is well here, besides the fact that they wont let me ship my bow, and the last unit tore up the range that was here. They did not take care of it and it went to ****. Other than that I am doing well.
How are them hogs and thunderchickens coming along? I see ole Matt scored on a nice bird. Congrats bub! Anyone else had any luck? You know I have to live vicaiously through y'all for now until I get back...........soooooooo......lets get to killin and postin some pics......LOL!
TXArrowSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #106
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
Hey y'all! Just a wuick note from Iraq. All is well here, besides the fact that they wont let me ship my bow, and the last unit tore up the range that was here. They did not take care of it and it went to ****. Other than that I am doing well.
How are them hogs and thunderchickens coming along? I see ole Matt scored on a nice bird. Congrats bub! Anyone else had any luck? You know I have to live vicaiously through y'all for now until I get back...........soooooooo......lets get to killin and postin some pics......LOL!
Man that sucks they won't let you ship your bow. I was gonna order one from whoever it is that has the offer i seen. can't remember now. but i was afraid i wouldn't be able to get it home. i know on our list of items you can't take back are ALL non mtoe weapons. this even includes bb guns. so that might be the reason.

When you due back. I got till June.. and i can't wait.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #107
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on setting my pop-up up, when i get home and launching some arrows from it. I've never shot from a blind before. so it will defiantly get aired out..
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #108
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
Take care of your back side my friend. The piggies are on they're "guess what time we're gonna show up and on what day" summer routine so you aren't missing much. Might get some rain tonight, so if we do, that might get them moving. It does seem to be a good year for turkeys, but I have not been out at all. Matt's the man when it comes to Hood hunting for most anything. He puts in his time and reaps the reward. Take care of your self Jason and get back asap.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #109
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on setting my pop-up up, when i get home and launching some arrows from it. I've never shot from a blind before. so it will defiantly get aired out..
It's kind of cut out the inside of a couple trees or bushes and put the pop up inside the cut out. I'll take a couple pictures next time out if I remember. That way it's protected from the elements and cows. The cattle will walk right over a pop-up if it's between them and where they want to go. They don't have "walk around it" in there repertoire. If you happen to be in it, oh well ...... So, put it in a bush or behind a tree and your good.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #110
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdO View Post
It's kind of cut out the inside of a couple trees or bushes and put the pop up inside the cut out. I'll take a couple pictures next time out if I remember. That way it's protected from the elements and cows. The cattle will walk right over a pop-up if it's between them and where they want to go. They don't have "walk around it" in there repertoire. If you happen to be in it, oh well ...... So, put it in a bush or behind a tree and your good.
Thanks defiantly don't want any cows walking over my blind. might be a little unhappy..LOL..
Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #111
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks defiantly don't want any cows walking over my blind. might be a little unhappy..LOL..
It'll scare the not out of you! Been there, done that. Fortunately the cow was on the right side and I was on the left. All that being said, pop ups work well and you can get a year, or more, out of one if you set it up in a protected spot. Got me a brandy new one that I'm gonna put someplace. Don't got a clue where just yet.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #112
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

yeah, mine is brand new too, bought it in nov. and it went straight to the shed. also got one of those chair blinds i might break out if i have to for limited range deer with the shot gun.

Can't wait to get back and start scouting and doing a little piggie hunting. got a cheap TC that I want to put out someplace as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #113
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

Hey yall A buddy brought over some Axis Deer for me to make some Jerky for him now that is some good snakins.. We had one comeing in at one of our feeders I gues if he gives me the chance I will give him a sleeping pill.
Good luck to all.
FLIP
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 AM   #114
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

Hey all I am with Jason living through you guys, Africa is pretty crazy definately the "Akhunna Matta" style of life, I watched a guy on a boda (motorcycle Taxi) Get smasked in between two cars, they just scrap them off the road there are so many, I got pics but I think they would get removed. I have 1 more day here then I go forward but live is good, no malaria yet and guts still working the right way LOL for now at least. Ed you keep them hogs confused and moving we will see you all on the back side before deer season. I am looking at booking a hunt down here cost for 4 animal is 2800 american dollars, can't do that one in texas, this is for plains game for 5 days. SAWEET good luck all and see ya soon.
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #115
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
Hey all I am with Jason living through you guys, Africa is pretty crazy definately the "Akhunna Matta" style of life, I watched a guy on a boda (motorcycle Taxi) Get smasked in between two cars, they just scrap them off the road there are so many, I got pics but I think they would get removed. I have 1 more day here then I go forward but live is good, no malaria yet and guts still working the right way LOL for now at least. Ed you keep them hogs confused and moving we will see you all on the back side before deer season. I am looking at booking a hunt down here cost for 4 animal is 2800 american dollars, can't do that one in texas, this is for plains game for 5 days. SAWEET good luck all and see ya soon.
Take care down there.. See you in the fall.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #116
J-Raz
Spike

Hunt In: ??Need a Place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipajig View Post
Hey yall A buddy brought over some Axis Deer for me to make some Jerky for him now that is some good snakins.. We had one comeing in at one of our feeders I gues if he gives me the chance I will give him a sleeping pill.
Good luck to all.
FLIP
You are right about that! We cooked some axis and whitetail backstrap for a taste test and the axis took it. Some really good meat. This is the axis that eluded me last year. Lost his horns half way through the season and only saw him without them. Always next year....
Attached Images

J-Raz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #117
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

nice
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #118
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Is there any areas on Fort Hood that might be good for bowhunting deer that do not get a lot of hunting pressure? The area I tried last year was always booked up or closed because of training. I really want to try and start scouting a couple of areas but Hood is so large I was hoping someone might could narrow the options down. Thanks for any advice.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #119
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

I'm looking for the same thing. Hopefully I can get lucky during the first week of bow season. I am taking the week off. Maybe get done early and then go after the hogs.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #120
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

I would call that wishful thinking. There are a lot of hunters that call Ft Hood home. You have to be like Ed and get off of the beaten path to find a secluded area. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #121
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Hell, I'll just be happy to be in the woods.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #122
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
Is there any areas on Fort Hood that might be good for bowhunting deer that do not get a lot of hunting pressure? The area I tried last year was always booked up or closed because of training. I really want to try and start scouting a couple of areas but Hood is so large I was hoping someone might could narrow the options down. Thanks for any advice.
Lance That is the bad thing about area access. We don't find out what area will be open or closed until Thrusday. You know I work year around in my guided area and last year 45 was not open for most of Nov.and 46 was closed quite a few weekends, but we did not find out until Thursday. I would be nice to see a units long range training schedule but we don't get that.
No-Walkin STX Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #123
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
I would call that wishful thinking. There are a lot of hunters that call Ft Hood home. You have to be like Ed and get off of the beaten path to find a secluded area. Even then, nothing is guaranteed.

X10 Tim is 100% correct
Old 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #124
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
One place that may work is 8N. I've frequently seen deer (and pigs) there, but have never done a real scout of it or set out any cameras so don't know the quality of the resident beasties.

A couple other areas that I'd given some thought to, but have not really researched, are the ones adjacent to the airport. Can't think of the numbers right off. Anyhow, they are fenced and you need to get the keys from the Sportsman's Center which should limit the competition some.

Then there are the no feeder, no stand areas. Scout them to find where the deer normally travel, and the day of your hunt hand throw some corn to entice them to stop for a bite. A piece of camo cloth and some spring clips can make a nice blind.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #125
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

The no stand no feeder areas, can u set cams up in those areas?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #126
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
The no stand no feeder areas, can u set cams up in those areas?
It doesn't say one way or the other. So I guess you could. But I don't think I would. I'm pretty gutsy when it comes to putting out my camera's, but those areas have just way too much non-hunter traffic for me to take the chance. Well, maybe with one that I have. The squirrels have pretty much made it look like trash. They seem to like to chew on it. Must be something in the plastic, or salt from my sweaty hands. Takes good pictures still, but looks terrible. You don't need a camera to see where the deer are going to walk anyway. Google earth will tell you all you need to know. Just look for the tree lines between open areas. That'll be your deer routes. Deer are predictable that way. Pigs .... another story altogether .... they'll head off across open country, so are pretty random.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #127
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

How can i look it up on google earth?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #128
EdO
Ten Point

Alright, I know there probably aren't many baseball fans on here, but there should be. It's great training for sitting in a stand waiting for something to happen. If there's any inkling of interest in your soul at all, check out the Texas Rangers. Nine and one on the young season. They're pitching has been awesome which means even better practice for sitting waiting for something to happen. Baseball really is good practice for sitting in a tree, try it (a few Shiner's or Lone Stars are a good training aide.)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #129
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
Lance That is the bad thing about area access. We don't find out what area will be open or closed until Thrusday. You know I work year around in my guided area and last year 45 was not open for most of Nov.and 46 was closed quite a few weekends, but we did not find out until Thursday. I would be nice to see a units long range training schedule but we don't get that.
Hank, I know you're right. I guess I shouldn't complain and just be happy to get in an area when I can. I really want to get a deer with a bow and I'm thinking to concentrate more on bowhunting this year. As long as the smoke pole temptation doesn't get the better of me.

Quote:
One place that may work is 8N. I've frequently seen deer (and pigs) there, but have never done a real scout of it or set out any cameras so don't know the quality of the resident beasties.

A couple other areas that I'd given some thought to, but have not really researched, are the ones adjacent to the airport. Can't think of the numbers right off. Anyhow, they are fenced and you need to get the keys from the Sportsman's Center which should limit the competition some.

Then there are the no feeder, no stand areas. Scout them to find where the deer normally travel, and the day of your hunt hand throw some corn to entice them to stop for a bite. A piece of camo cloth and some spring clips can make a nice blind.
Ed, I appreciate the advice. Would you be interested in giving a tour of an area or 2 sometime?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #130
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
How can i look it up on google earth?
Take the map that the sportsmans center issues you. Identify the area your interested in on it. Then you should be able to translate that to Google Earth.

Actually, once you are familiar with the Killeen area on Google, it gets pretty simple.

Like anything else, practice helps a lot.

Google earth is your best friend.

Let me see if I can work something up real quick.

See the tree line paralleled by the tire tracks. This year a deer was taken off each end. They use the tree lines to travel between areas.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #131
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Hank, I know you're right. I guess I shouldn't complain and just be happy to get in an area when I can. I really want to get a deer with a bow and I'm thinking to concentrate more on bowhunting this year. As long as the smoke pole temptation doesn't get the better of me.

Ed, I appreciate the advice. Would you be interested in giving a tour of an area or 2 sometime?

You know, it's probably a throw back to my Indian genes or something, but I just don't schedules and people very well. Always glad to help by remote control though. Give me a few and check your pm. I need to grab a beer (it's biblical, despite what they say) and get situated (get on another computer) first.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #132
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

EdO Thanks for the info. I just started using google earth a couple days ago. I'm sure once I get the Map from the sportsman center it won't be hard to reference it on G.E.Thanks again...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #133
EdO
Ten Point

Lance, here's the map I'm thinking I sent a couple pm's explaing it, but I can't tell one way or the other.
Attached Images

Last edited by EdO; 04-11-2011 at 11:02 PM..
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #134
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Found the hunting areas on Hood. Thanks to Belton Lake....LOL.. trying to bounce it off the map they have published on the fort hood hunting page.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #135
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
EdO Thanks for the info. I just started using google earth a couple days ago. I'm sure once I get the Map from the sportsman center it won't be hard to reference it on G.E.Thanks again...
It really doesn't matter what area your in. You just follow the tree lines and your good. The tree line around a clearing or between clearings. Both work, it doesn't matter. Deer are, for the most part, creatures of the edge.

Texas is a bit tougher because there's no snow. We always had snow. But, if it's a wet year, Texas has mud/soft dirt.

I need this wind to lay down so I can do some fishing.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #136
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quick question, and sorry for all the questions.... i printed off the area map, shrunk the G.E. map, and lined the points up, does some of the area cross 190?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #137
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Quick question, and sorry for all the questions.... i printed off the area map, shrunk the G.E. map, and lined the points up, does some of the area cross 190?
Not even close.

Just guessing, but think maybe the Fort Hood map may be using MGRS coordinates and Google Earth is using Degrees, Minutes and Seconds. My best guess; been there, done that.

This old man is hittin the skid. Night all.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #138
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

Quote:
Lance, here's the map I'm thinking I sent a couple pm's explaing it, but I can't tell one way or the other.
TA 22/23 after you come up the hill ?
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #139
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
There should be areas on both sides of 190. Got the area with the two tanks just north of Watercrest. Then you got the areas over by Clark road.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #140
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Ed, Thanks. You have good computer skills.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #141
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec73065 View Post
TA 22/23 after you come up the hill ?
Rob,
Where have you been? Haven't heard from you in a while.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #142
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

Went out chaseing Whites and Highbreads and that is all we did is chase them
We have been catching a mess of them just about dayly. Im going to fry some fish tonight
mmm good.
Good luck to all
FLIP
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #143
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

3D shoot this Sunday in Lampasas. Don't forget the bug spray when you are packing. Also, do not forget the following items:

Bow
Arrows
Release
Quiver
Binos

Sorry Kevin, could not resist. Hope is all is going well on the dark continent.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #144
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Quote:
3D shoot this Sunday in Lampasas. Don't forget the bug spray when you are packing. Also, do not forget the following items:

Bow
Arrows
Release
Quiver
Binos

Sorry Kevin, could not resist. Hope is all is going well on the dark continent.

Tim I was going say something but since Kevin is not even in the country was going to give him a break.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #145
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Just a reminder for Kevin that even though he is not here, we are still thinking about him. Plus, thinking back to last month puts a smile on my face thinking about the ribbing he got that day.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #146
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mountains of NEPA

A little brooke trout:-)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
jbitt4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #147
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
A little brooke trout:-)

Nice fish.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #148
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Thanks Hoff
Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #149
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Those fish are some good eats. Went to Wyoming a couple summers ago and caught a mess load of trout. Can't wait to get back there and do it again. Wouldn't mind getting some nice cats out of Texas either.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #150
jbitt4x4
Pope & Young

Quote:
Those fish are some good eats. Went to Wyoming a couple summers ago and caught a mess load of trout. Can't wait to get back there and do it again. Wouldn't mind getting some nice cats out of Texas either.
My buddy just caught a 43lber up towards north fort..