Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #51
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wyoming, Fort Hood

Anyone been out?
HoffDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #52
J-Raz
Spike

Hunt In: ??Need a Place??

I guess I'm a believer now in Pig Out. I only get hog pics on camera after I put it out even though after looking at past pics the deer seem to like it better. Noticed them licking the rocks and stumps that I poured it on.
J-Raz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #53
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Any of my Ft Hood Brothers interested I have a target listed in another thread.
http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=203289
No-Walkin STX Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #54
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

I was thinking about trying Pig Out as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffDawg View Post
I was thinking about trying Pig Out as well.
It's real thick and has a strong sweet smell. If they cross down wind with this strong breeze they should come in.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #56
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Definatly gonna try it, was also thinking about the hog wild powder.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #57
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

I just noticed the Old Ft Hood thread was locked , why did they do that ?
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #58
EdO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever, Whenever

A little disagreement between brothers. It didn't appear to be all that big a deal to me, but guess the moderator thought otherwise.

Sure wish this wind would go away, I'm wanting to do some fishing. Getting tired of eating pork. Want some fresh fish. But, don't want to fight the wind to get it. I'm such a sissy.
EdO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #59
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdO View Post
A little disagreement between brothers. It didn't appear to be all that big a deal to me, but guess the moderator thought otherwise.

Sure wish this wind would go away, I'm wanting to do some fishing. Getting tired of eating pork. Want some fresh fish. But, don't want to fight the wind to get it. I'm such a sissy.
Man the wind has been killer. The kids been wanting me to take the boat out and drop some jug lines but like you too.... a sissy. It's quite irritating. Plus we just finished off the last of our fish with a family fish fry yesterday. But hey at least you got pork! I think the pigs know when I enter the forest.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #60
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
Definatly gonna try it, was also thinking about the hog wild powder.
Never tried the powder. I don't think it could compare to the liquid smell of Pig Out. But if you do let me know how it works.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #61
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Raz View Post
Never tried the powder. I don't think it could compare to the liquid smell of Pig Out. But if you do let me know how it works.
I will let ya know. Won't be till Aug, since Iraq has me till the end of June. Can't wait to do some hunting..
Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM   #62
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
I will let ya know. Won't be till Aug, since Iraq has me till the end of June. Can't wait to do some hunting..
Sour corn, that's what I say.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #63
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

I'm gonna try the pig out, but i am gonna try it another way i seen on here (i think). hang it from a branch, and poke a few small holes in the bottom just so it drips out.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #64
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Sour corn, that's what I say.
how well does sour corn come out of a hog pipe? I keep thinking about doing that, but don't want it to get stuck, and I don't want to make the holes to big.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #65
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
how well does sour corn come out of a hog pipe? I keep thinking about doing that, but don't want it to get stuck, and I don't want to make the holes to big.
Beats me, never tried it. I just take a jug of it along and spread it around and pour some of it as high on the bushes as I can get it.

I'm not a big fan of hog pipes on Hood. Been there, done that. They are big cattle attractors and the cattle get most of the corn out of them. If you're feeding corn you either need to get your feeder high enough so the cattle can't get to it or fence it in. Then you've got the coons to deal with.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #66
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the beef on Hood.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #67
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
I'm gonna try the pig out, but i am gonna try it another way i seen on here (i think). hang it from a branch, and poke a few small holes in the bottom just so it drips out.
Sounds like it would work. Just tie it high so the cows don't get it. I may just try that with the little I have left in it.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #68
EdO
Ten Point

Taking the night off and going to watch the Rangers game. They're off to a good start in their title defense, having put the whuppin on the Red Sox the first three games. Baseball is a great training device for sitting in a pig/deer stand. A lot of sitting and waiting on a few seconds of excitement. Of course you do have the benefit of enjoying a cold Lone Star or two while your waiting.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #69
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Taking the night off and going to watch the Rangers game. They're off to a good start in their title defense, having put the whuppin on the Red Sox the first three games. Baseball is a great training device for sitting in a pig/deer stand. A lot of sitting and waiting on a few seconds of excitement. Of course you do have the benefit of enjoying a cold Lone Star or two while your waiting.
Have a good time.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #70
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Have a good time.
Thanks.

Lone Star and baseball don't get much better when you're old and slow. Most guys like Nascar, but it's too fast for old farts. I lost interest about 1975 or so. They're supposed to be stock cars, and their ain{t nothin stock about them.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #71
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Thanks.

Lone Star and baseball don't get much better when you're old and slow. Most guys like Nascar, but it's too fast for old farts. I lost interest about 1975 or so. They're supposed to be stock cars, and their ain{t nothin stock about them.
This is true.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #72
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Sounds like it would work. Just tie it high so the cows don't get it. I may just try that with the little I have left in it.
Only bad thing, you have to leave it out. but with small enough holes, it should last a few days. Plus throw a little corn with it, should work pretty good.

If you try it, post up how it worked out.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #73
fthoodhoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: fort hood
Default range

The range is now open...Just wanted to get the info out too you all
fthoodhoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #74
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
Only bad thing, you have to leave it out. but with small enough holes, it should last a few days. Plus throw a little corn with it, should work pretty good.

If you try it, post up how it worked out.
Well I put it to the test. Went out today and Hung it high in the tree. Poked one small hole that drips about once a minute. Thinking it will drip faster when its in the sun and the heat puts pressure in it. No hogs on camera so if it works they should be there in a day or two. Also put a couple rocks under the drip so it doesn't just soak up in the dirt.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #75
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Well I put it to the test. Went out today and Hung it high in the tree. Poked one small hole that drips about once a minute. Thinking it will drip faster when its in the sun and the heat puts pressure in it. No hogs on camera so if it works they should be there in a day or two. Also put a couple rocks under the drip so it doesn't just soak up in the dirt.
Good luck. Let us know how if it produces anything.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #76
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Hey Hood brothers I have relisted my target in the clasifed section. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...22#post3622822
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #77
ballisticbudda
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
Hey Hood brothers I have relisted my target in the clasifed section. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...22#post3622822
Surprised you haven't had a taker already. Not much time for me to shoot lately, and when I do, it is like a Force 5 tornado outside, minus the rain of course.
ballisticbudda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #78
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

Quick questions for the Brain Trust. I need to mark my feeder pen locations , do all GPS handheld units give the MGRS coordinates ? I only need it one time and hate to spend a lot of money on one . Googled MGRS and there is a convertor , I pulled up google earth and zoomed in on my pens and pulled the lat and lon , did the conversion . Would that be close enough since my areas never seem to be open when I am able to go ? Would also save me the drive with gas at $3.59 in austin.
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #79
No-Walkin STX Hank
Ten Point

Tim I hear you, The wife had all of the rags laying around and I really did not need another target but had 5 garbage bags full of rags so I figured if I made them into a target someone would take my old rags off my hand and I would not have to throw them away. I am basically just trying to get the money back for the wood now.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #80
flipajig
Four Point

Hunt In: any where

Hey yall been a while.. I made some Bacon out of a set of straps off a 80 lb Pig
Im heare to tell yall it was some mighty fine to chew on. Ive also been busy making Jerkey im Ive got a verry good supply of beef so if any one is interested drop me a note and we can discuss the details.
I have a new smoker and it works great im starting some bacon next week and then on to hams.
Good luck to all
FLIP
flipajig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #81
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Just checked out the Turkey update on the Fort Hood hunting site, as of the 4th, looks like there has been about 40 birds taken. Hope I am around next spring....
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM   #82
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

Hey all finally in Africa but only half way to where I am working, Right now I am in Uganda and sweating my backside off but all is good and everything showed up in one piece until I went through customs then they took a lot of my stuff, personal hygeine things. Will keep you posted on the happenings down here. Keep safe all.
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #83
J-Raz
Spike

Went to check camera after two days of hanging the Pig Out. Not one picture. My two resident deer and one cow didnt even come in. I did notice that the liquid didn't drip fast enough and it dried up a bit and quit dripping. So I made the hole a tad bigger and poked another hole in the top of jug. Now it drips every five seconds. Hope it lasts til the weekend but i doubt it.

Anyone ever jump any hogs on foot in 105? I've covered a lot of ground in there and have yet to see any. Would like to try a little walk and stalk if anyone knew where they may be hiding during the day.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #84
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
The range is now open...Just wanted to get the info out too you all
Thanks Matt. I will try to be there during my lunch at least twice a week.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #85
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRanger View Post
Hey all finally in Africa but only half way to where I am working, Right now I am in Uganda and sweating my backside off but all is good and everything showed up in one piece until I went through customs then they took a lot of my stuff, personal hygeine things. Will keep you posted on the happenings down here. Keep safe all.
Take care over there. We'll save ya some piggies.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #86
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Quote:
Went to check camera after two days of hanging the Pig Out. Not one picture. My two resident deer and one cow didnt even come in. I did notice that the liquid didn't drip fast enough and it dried up a bit and quit dripping. So I made the hole a tad bigger and poked another hole in the top of jug. Now it drips every five seconds. Hope it lasts til the weekend but i doubt it.

Anyone ever jump any hogs on foot in 105? I've covered a lot of ground in there and have yet to see any. Would like to try a little walk and stalk if anyone knew where they may be hiding during the day.
that kinda sucks, guess it is one of those things you kinda have to play with.

Wish i could help ya with 105. I am totally new to hunting on hood. I have no idea where to even start. would like a hog and deer setup in the same place, but i guess i'll have to see how that works out. cant wait to do some scouting.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #87
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
that kinda sucks, guess it is one of those things you kinda have to play with.

Wish i could help ya with 105. I am totally new to hunting on hood. I have no idea where to even start. would like a hog and deer setup in the same place, but i guess i'll have to see how that works out. cant wait to do some scouting.
I'm new too on hood. I only put a hog stand out cuz as the crow flies its only 1 mile from home. I have a deer lease so if I hunt hood for deer I will probably just do a guided hunt on the weekend I don't go. Just wish I could get some pigs soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #88
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

Wish I had a lease. Got to do all my hunting on hood. But it's cool. Got a couple places lined up for a day lease here and there.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #89
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:

If you walk North until you hit the Blora fence and then look over the fence as far as you can see you'll be seeing pretty close to where they're at during the day most times. Not that it's gonna do you any good. The other place they hang out is across the gravel road on the west border of 105. Once again, it won't do you any good. Both places are no hunt.

They will be back. They act like this most of the time. Occasionally they go on a spree where they are east to pattern and hunt like they just came off. They are not as dumb and predicable as deer are.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #90
J-Raz
Spike

Maybe I will just walk and try to push them to the kill zone. Haha. Plus I'm on the west side.

Last edited by J-Raz; 04-08-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Old 04-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #91
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Maybe I will just walk and try to push them to the kill zone. Haha. Plus I'm on the west side.
J-Raz check your PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #92
J-Raz
Spike

Quote:
J-Raz check your PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #93
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Yup, that's one of mine.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #94
EdO
Ten Point

Well, I'm gonna take some drugs, listen to some music with my live in Chinese chef/maid, then hit the skid. Don't get all cited, she just turned 70 (I'm 68). Get up in the morning and wish it was monday. I hate weekends and holidays. If it was Monday, I'd probably wasts some of my sour corn (really sour) and try for some cat fish. But it ain't monday, so guess I'll suffer while the amateurs have at it. They gotta have their fun too. Live in Chinese maid/chef at 60 (sorry don't have or want anything newer) on our way to a new years party. Heck of a cook, probably the reason I go 240.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #95
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

have a good weekend
Old 04-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #96
J-Raz
Spike

Thinking about taking my little girl to do some catfishing tomorrow. Any lake on Hood stocked with some cats so I can show her a good time? How bout the kid only pond?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #97
BirdRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Bell County

Most are J-Raz but on W range rd at the bridge is a pretty good place and good open area for the kids..
BirdRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #98
EdO
Ten Point

Quote:
Thinking about taking my little girl to do some catfishing tomorrow. Any lake on Hood stocked with some cats so I can show her a good time? How bout the kid only pond?
What Kevin said.

If you want to take them to a pond, the Sportsman's Center has a stocking report. At least the used to so probably still do.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #99
J-Raz
Spike

Thanks for the info guys. Think we may sit out today and see if the winds will calm down for tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #100
HoffDawg
Banned!!!

What do y'all think about using a pop-up on hood? I got a loc-on stand, and a pop-up. figured I could get 2 set-ups.