Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #51
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Good luck this afternoon

Skinny
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #52
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Bummer you didn't find him

Good luck this evening, about to head to stand myself
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #53
Tex
Ten Point

I was the only one to see a buck this evening. I was sitting about 25 yards below a ridge line overlooking a huge oak tree. Had a good buck come in from behind me, down wind again, and stop at 18 yards. Way too thick for a shot. He stopped and wandered up the hill never to return.
It is supposed to start raining in a couple of hours and continue until the evening. They have a few pop up blinds available but I am getting sicker and may opt to stay dry and see if the meds can work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 06:07 AM   #54
plentl65
Eight Point

Hunt In: McLennan County
Default Illinois Live

Tex is sleeping in this morning. Iíll try to update from my location best I can (Iím the nephew). Light rain this morning. I think everyone is retreating to ground blinds but me. Have a stand that is close to a trail that I saw a lot of movement on our first afternoon. Going to try and sit all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
plentl65 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #55
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by plentl65 View Post
Tex is sleeping in this morning. Iíll try to update from my location best I can (Iím the nephew). Light rain this morning. I think everyone is retreating to ground blinds but me. Have a stand that is close to a trail that I saw a lot of movement on our first afternoon. Going to try and sit all day.

Good luck, what are the temps up there?
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #56
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

Good luck
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #57
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #58
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post

Mid 30's this morning with rain.
I started getting sick on the way up here and have gotten worse since. Didn't want to get wet and cold and make it even worse.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #59
plentl65
Eight Point

Quote:

Rainy and 37 right now. Was a lot colder Friday and Saturday morning. Light drizzle all day so far

Old 11-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #60
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Rainy and 37 right now. Was a lot colder Friday and Saturday morning. Light drizzle all day so far

You still planning to sit all day?
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #61
plentl65
Eight Point

Quote:
You still planning to sit all day?

Ya Iíve been sitting all day and itís been raining ALL DAY lol. Saw two nice three year olds about 11. Just too young. Decided to move to a location on the side of a hill over looking a big draw. Can see a big scrape with lots of rubs around. Keeping fingers crossed.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #62
plentl65
Eight Point

Name:  IMG_1641.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  175.9 KBName:  IMG_1640.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  180.0 KB

Old 11-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #63
plentl65
Eight Point

Ended up switching stands last minute. Had two does feeding about 100 yards off for 20 minutes or so. About 30 minutes before dark caught movement in the same area thinking is was a doe again. Finally caught movement of horns and realized it was a huge buck. Snort weezed at him and he came straight to me but the wind shifted and he bolted. Changing things up tomorrow and going to a duck blind in the morning on the Mississippi.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #64
plentl65
Eight Point

Default Illinois Live

Deer movement picked up today. Snort wheezed a giant in yesterday only to have him catch my wind after it shifted. Went duck hunting this morning on the Mississippi. One of the coolest hunting experiences of my life. Going back again in the morning then hitting the woods in the afternoon. Name:  IMG_1651.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  55.2 KBName:  IMG_1652.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  68.2 KBName:  IMG_1653.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  43.4 KBName:  53228165899__8011F271-9A03-4943-8E7B-7DAD24B639E2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  117.2 KBName:  53228448744__8A4CEB22-2AD8-4947-B0E1-28133E855B17.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  109.4 KB

Old 11-14-2017, 01:55 AM   #65
Muskles
Ten Point

Looks like fun!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #66
Tex
Ten Point

Bruce and I are trying something different as well. Morning movement has been almost non existent so we are going to have a good breakfast, fix a sandwich and head out mid morning.
It's cloudy and windy but if things aren't working you've got to change something.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #67
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Sounds like a good plan. Duck hunting the Mississippi looks like a good time!
cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #68
plentl65
Eight Point

Good little shoot today. Not many birds flying but the ones we did have worked a lot better for us.Name:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  81.5 KB also saw two deer swim across the river. Took a video but canít get it to upload. Was a pretty cool thing to see. Headed back now to change and hit the woods.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #69
Tex
Ten Point

Bruce and i hunted from 10:30 until dark but no shooters were seen. The duck hunter showed up this afternoon half prepared and in a post duck hunt glow and got it done on an Illinois Buck. I'll let him give the story and pics.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #70
plentl65
Eight Point

It was the most memorable day of hunting Iíve ever had. Got on my first mallards today then had an awesome afternoon hunt in the deer woods. After getting back from duck hunting around 1:30 I got to the house and changed and was able to get out there about 2:00. I decided to leave my frame pack because it was getting pretty heavy from carrying it every day this week so I just grabbed my flash light and grunt call. At first I went up a hill overlooking a creek bottom that had a lean too up against a big oak. I didnít like it because it had a big tree limb that covered up the main shooting lane. I didnít have a saw to cut the limb because I left my pack and after and unsuccessful attempt at breaking the limb I decided to hunt another stand in a bottom next to a corn field. About a hour before dark I heard a buck grunt coming from my left towards the corn field. I tried grunting back but after 10-15 minutes nothing came in. About 4:15 I heard another long grunt coming from the same direction. Sunset is 4:50 and shooting light ends 20 after. I decided at 4:30 Iíd climb down and hike up to the edge of the field to see if anything was still around. I walked up the four wheeler path to the top and already saw four does on the adjacent property in the corn field. I got down and crawled below some tall grass to a small tree about 10 yards off the path to the right. The fence that separated our property from the neighbors was 30 yards in front of me. At this point I can see roughly a dozen does out in the field. I decided just to sit still and watch to see if I could get lucky enough for a doe to jump over. As I was watching I noticed a buck on the back side of all the does. He started walking towards me about 80 yards out pushing a doe. I picked up my grunt call and gave a short grunt then snort wheezed at him. He threw his head up and here he came. He got to the fence line and started pacing back and forth. I thought ďthere is no way this dude is jumping the fenceĒ. About that time he hopped it and was 25 yards from me staring my direction. At this point it was getting dark so I knew he couldnít make me out. At one point he turned to look away and when I went to draw he caught me 1/4 draw. He then started stomping at me trying to get me to budge. I stayed still and just a few seconds later he turned his head back to leave and turned completely broadside and at that moment I came to full draw. I settled my pin on his heart and he dropped right into it. He jumped the fence and never made it out of the field. A memory and hunt Iíll always have with me. Name:  IMG_1681.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  123.0 KBName:  IMG_1675.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  87.3 KB

Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #71
cookemerkel
Ten Point

Quote:
It was the most memorable day of hunting Iíve ever had. Got on my first mallards today then had an awesome afternoon hunt in the deer woods. After getting back from duck hunting around 1:30 I got to the house and changed and was able to get out there about 2:00. I decided to leave my frame pack because it was getting pretty heavy from carrying it every day this week so I just grabbed my flash light and grunt call. At first I went up a hill overlooking a creek bottom that had a lean too up against a big oak. I didnít like it because it had a big tree limb that covered up the main shooting lane. I didnít have a saw to cut the limb because I left my pack and after and unsuccessful attempt at breaking the limb I decided to hunt another stand in a bottom next to a corn field. About a hour before dark I heard a buck grunt coming from my left towards the corn field. I tried grunting back but after 10-15 minutes nothing came in. About 4:15 I heard another long grunt coming from the same direction. Sunset is 4:50 and shooting light ends 20 after. I decided at 4:30 Iíd climb down and hike up to the edge of the field to see if anything was still around. I walked up the four wheeler path to the top and already saw four does on the adjacent property in the corn field. I got down and crawled below some tall grass to a small tree about 10 yards off the path to the right. The fence that separated our property from the neighbors was 30 yards in front of me. At this point I can see roughly a dozen does out in the field. I decided just to sit still and watch to see if I could get lucky enough for a doe to jump over. As I was watching I noticed a buck on the back side of all the does. He started walking towards me about 80 yards out pushing a doe. I picked up my grunt call and gave a short grunt then snort wheezed at him. He threw his head up and here he came. He got to the fence line and started pacing back and forth. I thought ďthere is no way this dude is jumping the fenceĒ. About that time he hopped it and was 25 yards from me staring my direction. At this point it was getting dark so I knew he couldnít make me out. At one point he turned to look away and when I went to draw he caught me 1/4 draw. He then started stomping at me trying to get me to budge. I stayed still and just a few seconds later he turned his head back to leave and turned completely broadside and at that moment I came to full draw. I settled my pin on his heart and he dropped right into it. He jumped the fence and never made it out of the field. A memory and hunt Iíll always have with me. Attachment 883080Attachment 883081

What a day, canít beat that! Congrats. Great job

cookemerkel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #72
peterp63
Ten Point

Great recap. Thanks for that and congrats on a great buck!

peterp63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #73
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

Quote:
Deer movement picked up today. Snort wheezed a giant in yesterday only to have him catch my wind after it shifted. Went duck hunting this morning on the Mississippi. One of the coolest hunting experiences of my life. Going back again in the morning then hitting the woods in the afternoon. Attachment 882871Attachment 882872Attachment 882873Attachment 882874Attachment 882875

Brushing blinds with pine trees so rhe beavers don't eat them!! Done that!!! Had one a mile from shore we had to use pine on because they ate every piece of willow off it the first night!!

Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #74
Muskles
Ten Point

Well done nephew! Lol

Old 11-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #75
Skinny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montague County

Any luck this am?
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #76
TKRanch
Eight Point

Great job! Congrats!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #77
plentl65
Eight Point

They didnít see anything else this morning. Loaded up now and once we eat some late breakfast weíll be on the road to Tejas.