Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 11-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #501
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Snakes gotta eat too, before hibernation. But then I killed my 3rd largest ratter in December one year. And had a buddy get bit in December a few years ago. Any time it warms up after a cool spell, they will be out hunting too.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #502
kenneypowers
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwalkertx View Post
Seen a buck today that only had its right antler. Left was completely gone. It did go past his ear in the alart position. But though since it lost his left i didnt want to risk it. Would it still be legal or not?
Did he have a limp? I have a feeling I saw the same buck on Friday.
kenneypowers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #503
seminole1990
Eight Point

Hunt In: Valdosta, GA; Haskell, Tx, The H, LBJ Grasslands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0106 View Post
Hey guys I as out yesterday and on my way back to my truck I got stuck down in a creek with copperheads all around me. Every direction I tried to take to get out to my truck I ran in to another one. I have only seen maybe 2 in my life before this. Last night I saw 6 in a radius of about 20 yards... I backed out and had to walk about a mile around. Normally it wouldn’t bother me but there was a lot of brush and dead trees and the only way up was through a washed out crevasse. So the snakes at Chest to eye level... (I was wearing snake gaiters) and to beat that when I was walking back the road I came across another one crossing the road. Why so many copperheads? Weather? Watch where you step out there if you done wear gaiters!

Wow. Glad you are ok. That would unnerve any man. Maybe the burning in some areas pushed them around a bit. Sounds like an entire nest was displaced somehow. Again glad you are ok, ptsd aside. Whew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seminole1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #504
seminole1990
Eight Point

Will be headed out to hunt during the week. My hope is a) my stand and stick aren’t damaged, b) my entire area is not completely void of cover, and c) the burn last week further steered gun hunters away from my little spot. Will go in preparing for the worst.
Has anyone heard hunt report from the weekend? Thinking the heat has kept opportunities low. Should be a good week with better weather and rut and chasing kicking in. Still going with the bow!

Old 11-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #505
bullets13
Eight Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0106 View Post
Hey guys I as out yesterday and on my way back to my truck I got stuck down in a creek with copperheads all around me. Every direction I tried to take to get out to my truck I ran in to another one. I have only seen maybe 2 in my life before this. Last night I saw 6 in a radius of about 20 yards... I backed out and had to walk about a mile around. Normally it wouldn’t bother me but there was a lot of brush and dead trees and the only way up was through a washed out crevasse. So the snakes at Chest to eye level... (I was wearing snake gaiters) and to beat that when I was walking back the road I came across another one crossing the road. Why so many copperheads? Weather? Watch where you step out there if you done wear gaiters!
That's crazy!
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #506
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seminole1990 View Post
Will be headed out to hunt during the week. My hope is a) my stand and stick aren’t damaged, b) my entire area is not completely void of cover, and c) the burn last week further steered gun hunters away from my little spot. Will go in preparing for the worst.
Has anyone heard hunt report from the weekend? Thinking the heat has kept opportunities low. Should be a good week with better weather and rut and chasing kicking in. Still going with the bow!

Anyone have a list of units that were burned? Or is it just kind of a surprise when you show up?

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #507
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
Anyone have a list of units that were burned? Or is it just kind of a surprise when you show up?

There is a previous post in this thread showing a posted sign of all potential burn areas. Also consider going on Facebook and find the LBJ Caddo page. The burn areas are posted there. Jeff Stoney runs it and he is who I spoke with before. He’s the man of LBJ Grasslands. Good info. Hope that helps.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #508
troy_w_7
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

I had ash falling all over me Friday PM. They were burning close by. I wasn't able to get it done at the Grasslands this year. Had 3-4 shooters on trail camera and were starting to show up during daylight but that's okay. I'm focusing all my efforts on Grapevine for the rest of the season! Best of luck all!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #509
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Just found this on the FS website. Looks like the proposed burns.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #510
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith_FO01 View Post
For anyone that maybe heading out. They are about to start burning. Here are a list of the units

Here is that post from earlier...
Old 11-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #511
seminole1990
Eight Point

Looking on Facebook....on 10-31 Jeff announced that units 7,8,21,22,28,29,49, and 75 would be burned that week and through November 4.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #512
ceg0106
Nubbin' Buck

Kind of sucks that they burn during hunting season. But I know they have to do it.
ceg0106 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #513
quickstrike
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missiouri, Colorado, Texas

Burning won't hurt or scare the deer at all as a matter of fact I've had more success on a unit they burn after after they burned and going back and hunt

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #514
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstrike View Post
Burning won't hurt or scare the deer at all as a matter of fact I've had more success on a unit they burn after after they burned and going back and hunt

love to hear this! Jeff at LBJ suggested the same thing...shhhh...tell no one that hunts with a rifle.....
Old 11-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #515
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

They allow rifles there again now?
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #516
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post

Actually no. I should have said “firearm”

Old 11-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #517
IkemanTX
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post

No.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #518
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

They burned Units 21, 28, 29 and 75 this week. I've seen deer and turkeys going back into burned units even before the fire was out. We used see lots of fresh tracks when we would go patrol the fire lines the next morning after a Rx burn.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #519
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
They burned Units 21, 28, 29 and 75 this week. I've seen deer and turkeys going back into burned units even before the fire was out. We used see lots of fresh tracks when we would go patrol the fire lines the next morning after a Rx burn.
Froggy is giving some pretty good intel there. i want to know all your knowledge about lbj .

Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #520
JB3
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: LBJ

Seein that many snakes in close quarters is scary. Interesting too - I've put in a lot of miles out there since August; walk creeks and dry creek beds often and I've only seen 1 snake that was about the size of really big worm. I've wondered why I haven't seen more - not complaining though. Not a big fan of snakes.

Last edited by JB3; 11-05-2017 at 08:55 PM..
JB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #521
wildaggie
Six Point

Quote:
How many points on the one antler?

If it’s 6 then you’re good. Otherwise the way I read it is that it has to be “an unforked” antler, which means something has to be there
Attachment 880965

This is from a very old regulation. The "6 points on one side" part of the statement is gone. Now a legal buck is defined as having a 13" inside spread or at least 1 unbranched antler. Go to the outdoor annual for a full explanation.
wildaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #522
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaggie View Post
This is from a very old regulation. The "6 points on one side" part of the statement is gone. Now a legal buck is defined as having a 13" inside spread or at least 1 unbranched antler. Go to the outdoor annual for a full explanation.
I stand corrected. Did as you suggested and there it is, no mention of 6 point on one side at all. Thanks for the good word.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #523
drycreek
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Sam Houston NF, Warren

Was out at Valley View last Friday and got some pics of the burning.

drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #524
drycreek
Spike

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands, Sam Houston NF, Warren

Picked this fella up on one of my cams last week. He’s a good one. Not great but certainly good. I’ve been trying to get him on camera since last year. He’d rubbed this area up pretty good last year and I felt like he made it through the season. This is the first time he’s put his face back on camera.

drycreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #525
troy_w_7
Six Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Go get em!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #526
seminole1990
Eight Point

Hunted this AM. Rattle sequence drew an immediate appearance of a curious doe. She came and sniffed the tinks scent wick I hung up. Followed soon after by this little fella grunting and following her every step with some time to sniff the wick himself. Pretty cool. Saw nada else wise.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #527
JollyRover
Nubbin' Buck

Went after work, had something come in downwind of me. It didn't snort so I'm guessing it was a buck. I could actually hear it testing the air. Pretty neat experience for me.

Also saw some hunters camping on the side of the road... I guess it's cheaper than a motel.
JollyRover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #528
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Default Hotel?

Any of you guys, that live in DFW, get a hotel room in Decatur so you don't have to get up super early and drive an hour plus before you hunt? If so what is a good place. I was thinking the Holliday Inn or LaQuinta only because they are the northern most places in Decatur closer to the Grasslands. Another reason I want to do this is to give me more time in case I need to pick another hunting location in case there are alot of cars at my spots. Ill be hunting during the weekdays because that's when I'm off. I figure there'll be fewer people but then again I have never been to LBJ when hunting season is in full swing.

Another concern I have is taking my shotgun to my room. In light of recent events I don't want to cause alarm but at the same time I don't want to leave my gear in my car in a hotel parking lot all night at all.

Last edited by cloud8a; 11-12-2017 at 01:24 AM..
cloud8a is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #529
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud8a View Post
Any of you guys, that live in DFW, get a hotel room in Decatur so you don't have to get up super early and drive an hour plus before you hunt? If so what is a good place. I was thinking the Holliday Inn or LaQuinta only because they are the northern most places in Decatur closer to the Grasslands. Another reason I want to do this is to give me more time in case I need to pick another hunting location in case there are alot of cars at my spots. Ill be hunting during the weekdays because that's when I'm off. I figure there'll be fewer people but then again I have never been to LBJ when hunting season is in full swing.

Another concern I have is taking my shotgun to my room. In light of recent events I don't want to cause alarm but at the same time I don't want to leave my gear in my car in a hotel parking lot all night at all.

Just camp at LBJ
JustinJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #530
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Just camp at LBJ
I have. But interested in the getting a room aspect of it this time.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #531
Rich1201
Four Point

Hunt In: LBJ Grasslands

Quote:

I looked into this briefly. The cost was just not worth it. I either camp or leave early.
Rich1201 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #532
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Anyone see anything this weekend? Saw nothing yesterday morning. And saw a small buck this evening. Was a nice evening.
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #533
seminole1990
Eight Point

Hunted this evening neither of us saw anything. Scrapes seemed to look just like they did on Tuesday.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #534
Froggy
Pope & Young

Default This was too funny

Check out this tracking job on the LBJ.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=669912
Old 11-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #535
Brentwalkertx
Four Point

Hunt In: Lbj, caddo

Nice buck. Im pretty sure i saw that truck last weekend. Wnt say where but congrats to the hunter. Hunters.
Brentwalkertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 AM   #536
static99899
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:

It's all about money and how much you got. And on carrying guns into the hotel, not an issue. My dad and I recently went to a two gun competition and carried everything in past the front desk. Not even a second look from the clerk...
static99899 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #537
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Freestone Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
How many points on the one antler?

If it’s 6 then you’re good. Otherwise the way I read it is that it has to be “an unforked” antler, which means something has to be there
Attachment 880965

They did away with the 6 points on one antler rule in 2004, has to be 13" or more inside spread, # of points don't matter.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #538
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
They did away with the 6 points on one antler rule in 2004, has to be 13" or more inside spread, # of points don't matter.

Thanks. Got it.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:22 AM   #539
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Went out this morning. Saw 3 trucks at one spot. almost three more than I have seen since going out to LBJ last spring. No one at any of the other spots in the same unit. One of the larger units. I went on a quarter or half a mile further away to the get out I had planned on. Empty of cars but wondered why they were grouped up back at that one.

I stalked into the brush for a few hours. It was 10am and there wasn't anyone but those 3 a good distance away and it was Wednesday so I figured I wouldn't hurt anyone's sit. I hiked 2 1/2 hours in the opposite direction and saw nothing and heard no shots.

I did locate some consistent deer tracks that were following a path to and from water. In the middle of the trail I saw a zip lock bag hanging from a tree. It had yellow liquid in it and thought maybe it was a lure. I'm bran new at this so I don't know maybe you guys can enlighten me on this.

Plan on sitting on those tracks next Monday before light. It will be Thanksgiving week so I don't know how it will go crowd wise. Hopefully however it goes it will be a learning experience on how to hunt the LBJ. I have a feeling that Ill need to move on to other units but we'll see. Public land hunting may be hard and trial by error but its all I got right now and I'm grateful for it.

P.S. It would be nice if some folks cleaned up after themselves. Its a rare blessing to have open land in this area to freely roam, hunt and fish. I know this is an old and moot complaint but my humanness made me do it just like their humanness made them litter.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #540
IkemanTX
Eight Point

I can’t find it on the FS website. Do they restrict the shot type on LBJ? I know some places want buck shot, others slug only.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #541
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkemanTX View Post
I can’t find it on the FS website. Do they restrict the shot type on LBJ? I know some places want buck shot, others slug only.

No restrictions on shot. Slugs and buckshot are allowed.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #542
cloud8a
Nubbin' Buck

Had some co-workers out at TADRA late last night stargazing and the FS Officer came up to talk. He was out investigating a gunshot after hours. They said he told them some stories that would make your hair stand up. One in particular related to the kind of work we are in. 3 Syrians with nothing but AK's and a chicken.

I'm going out early Tuesday morning for my first ever deer hunt. Hope I get lucky. If not at least I got to be out in the woods and enjoy nature.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #543
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

There is no telling what happens on LBJ being public and 100% accessible. I'm sure Froggy could write a book on it.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #544
Jsmith_FO01
Nubbin' Buck

I bow see why some folks have problems ever seeing deer. 7:45 this morning and a guy is out here in front of me in stalk mode with his bow and on his phone and walking around. After about 5-10 minutes he finally saw me and moved on.

Jsmith_FO01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #545
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Is the rut over in wise county?
XBOW STALKER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #546
XBOW STALKER
Four Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Made my way out for a allday weekday sit. Seen 2 doe.
The woods are stirring...
I've got the place to myself. Figured there would be folks out with it being Thanksgiving week.
XBOW STALKER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #547
Froggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
There is no telling what happens on LBJ being public and 100% accessible. I'm sure Froggy could write a book on it.
Back in the 90's it was open to target shooting out there. I was amazed how many folks legally owned full auto weapons. Target shooters were our worst trash offenders. Regulations were changed in the mid 90's to no target shooting. The FS was put on notice by the neighbors lawyers. One had 14 holes in his roof. A round came through his window and and lodged in his recliner. His kids playhouse had five bullet holes. We dealt with militia members, KKK, bigfoot hunters, meth labs, stolen cars, poachers, trash dumping and the list goes on. It does seem much calmer out there in recent years.

The FS LEO is the one that could write a book. I was riding along with him one night during Thanksgiving doe days. We came around a corner and two guys were standing up in the back of a truck. One with a spotlight, the other with a rifle. He pulled them over and asked them what they were doing. In broken english, "Deer hunting". All four occupants were here illegally and thought it was okay to night hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
Is the rut over in wise county?
No. I've alway had my best luck hunting around Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #548
seminole1990
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBOW STALKER View Post
Made my way out for a allday weekday sit. Seen 2 doe.
The woods are stirring...
I've got the place to myself. Figured there would be folks out with it being Thanksgiving week.
Hunted yesterday AM. Buddy saw six does. I had a doe at 4-5 yards, hunting on the ground. Really cool. Wish it was a doe day. Back at it this weekend. I'm sure there won't be many people out (lol).
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #549
quickstrike
Ten Point

Quote:
Hunted yesterday AM. Buddy saw six does. I had a doe at 4-5 yards, hunting on the ground. Really cool. Wish it was a doe day. Back at it this weekend. I'm sure there won't be many people out (lol).
Gonna hopefully get a doe this evening or the big buck i am after at my house adjacent from the grasslands.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #550
seminole1990
Eight Point

That boy been fightin’