Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
Patriot-2000
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GPS Doesn't Know ...
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas
Default Gamo Whisper - Bone Collector

Looked at a Pellet Rifle for "Tree Rats" & Rabbits... and really didn't want to spend a Lot of $
Looked at Midway and saw the Gamo Whisper Bone Collector for $ 79 on sale yesterday. It's "Reconditioned" but can't be any worse than a used one or The one in the Flea Market yesterday the guy was trying to sell for $ 150

Good for 25 yards and under and don't make the noise of a 22 LR
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Phdan
Ten Point
 
Phdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cache, OK
Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK
Default

.22 or .177?
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Patriot-2000
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GPS Doesn't Know ...
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas
Default

.177 Cal. They didn't have the 22 Cal but the .17 Cal will get it don with head shots ... Some good kill shots on Youtube... Even Jack Rabbits & Turkey, which are tough
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Patriot-2000
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GPS Doesn't Know ...
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas
Default

Phdan - I retired from the Army out of FT. Sill/Lawton, OK ... That was some of the best Catfish fishing I've ever experienced ... Preferred Lake Ellsworth..
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #5
Phdan
Ten Point
 
Phdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cache, OK
Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
Phdan - I retired from the Army out of FT. Sill/Lawton, OK ... That was some of the best Catfish fishing I've ever experienced ... Preferred Lake Ellsworth..


Do u hunt fort Sill?
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Patriot-2000
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GPS Doesn't Know ...
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas
Default

When I was stationed there ... I didn't have the opportunity to hunt due to Military duties but the Fish were glad I left ...
Co-worker use to due some hunting and I'd give you his name but he passed away unexpectedly last year...
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
Looked at a Pellet Rifle for "Tree Rats" & Rabbits... and really didn't want to spend a Lot of $
Looked at Midway and saw the Gamo Whisper Bone Collector for $ 79 on sale yesterday. It's "Reconditioned" but can't be any worse than a used one or The one in the Flea Market yesterday the guy was trying to sell for $ 150

Good for 25 yards and under and don't make the noise of a 22 LR
Every .177 air rifle is way louder than the .22lr I use.

My .22 is subsonic and suppressed. So you really only hear the action cycling and the bullet smacking.
Outbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
35remington
Pope & Young
 
35remington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williamson
Hunt In: the dark
Default

Any pellet gun that's powerful enough to kill rabbits in .177 is going to be louder than you're wanting. So pick a .22 pellet offering.

Honestly, the pellet gun market is flooded with junk at the cheap level. You will probably be happier in the long run if you spend a little bit of money upfront (can still come in for less than $400).
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Patriot-2000
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GPS Doesn't Know ...
Hunt In: Rocksprings, Texas
Default

I imaging a suppressed 22 LR is much quieter but I just don't see myself doing it and understand a LOT of JUNK has flooded the Air Gun Market ... But
Saw a lot of people get it don with 17 Cal Gamo 25 yards & under and a few over 25 yards ..
Patriot-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Outbreaker
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
I imaging a suppressed 22 LR is much quieter but I just don't see myself doing it and understand a LOT of JUNK has flooded the Air Gun Market ... But
Saw a lot of people get it don with 17 Cal Gamo 25 yards & under and a few over 25 yards ..
They will be LOUD as the gun makes alot of noise and the pellets need to be going supersonic (read loud as a bull whip due to sonic crack).

I have also personally seen pigs killed with a pocket knife, does not mean that it is either the best choice or IMHO a sane choice.
Outbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Phdan
Ten Point
 
Phdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cache, OK
Hunt In: Ft. Sill, Snyder OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
When I was stationed there ... I didn't have the opportunity to hunt due to Military duties but the Fish were glad I left ...
Co-worker use to due some hunting and I'd give you his name but he passed away unexpectedly last year...


Lost a friend to cancer last year. Same guy? I lived at edgewater park for years and caught many catfish. One of the best kept secrets
Phdan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com