Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Recipes
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point
 
Thwackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baytown, Texas
Hunt In: Lampasas County, Medina/Kerr Counties
Default Barbacoa beef crockpot tacos

Got some in the crockpot right now. Good, cool rainy day meal. Gonna make some homemade salsa to go with it too. I'll post that recipe later as well





RECIPE-



Serves 8-10



Ingredients:

- 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast

- 4 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce - Chopped

- 5 Cloves Garlic - Chopped

- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin

- 3 tsp Oregano

- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth

- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

- 1/4 Cup (fresh) Lime Juice

- 3 Bay Leaves

- 5-6 sprigs fresh Cilantro

- Salt to taste

- Pepper to taste



For Serving: (optional)

- Flour/Corn Tortillas

- Cheese

- Sour Cream

- Salsa

- Guacamole

- Rice

- Black Beans



Cut the Roast into approximately six to eight large chunks. Season well with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the beef chunks (in batches if necessary) on all sides until browned. Transfer seared meat to slow cooker.



In a medium bowl combine chopped chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, beef broth, vinegar, lime juice, and additional salt and pepper (to taste). Mix well, then pour over beef in the slow cooker and add bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until meat shreds easily.



Remove bay leaves. Remove and shred beef. Return beef to slow cooker to marinate at least 10 more minutes, or until ready to serve. Great on nachos, tacos, and burritos! Enjoy!

Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Bvallet
Four Point
 
Bvallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Default

Looks good
Bvallet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
SharpStix
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Tyler, Texas
Hunt In: Gregg and Smith Counties
Default

I'm guessing the roast could be replaced with beef cheek meat for more authenticity?
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Outback77
Pope & Young
 
Outback77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Azle
Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited
Default

Sounds great
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point
 
Thwackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baytown, Texas
Hunt In: Lampasas County, Medina/Kerr Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpStix View Post
I'm guessing the roast could be replaced with beef cheek meat for more authenticity?
Yep..... I've also done it with axis roast and some pere David backstrap

I guess with the proper meat it isn't really barbacoa but ....... Call it what you will I guess
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point
 
Rakkasan2187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Default

Looks great
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 06:26 AM   #7
mharris1
Ten Point
 
mharris1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Teague, TX
Hunt In: leaseless and looking
Default

Looks awesome. Gotta try this one soon.
mharris1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Bruiser
Ten Point
 
Bruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, Tx
Default

Barbacoa is not chuck roast.
Bruiser is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point
 
HoustonHunter94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Barbacoa is not chuck roast.
I'm going to venture a guess and say Chuck roast is a little bit easier to find at the store. Also not thinking a cow head would fit in the crock pot too well. I am sure it is still good even if not "authentic". Might have to give this one a try soon.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point
 
Thwackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baytown, Texas
Hunt In: Lampasas County, Medina/Kerr Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Barbacoa is not chuck roast.

ummmmmm yeah, I know. but the old Spanish lady that lives next door told me that the cowhead (the cheeks to be specific) is hard to find and messy to boot. She also said that it is the spices and the cooking that give it the barbacoa taste. So this is what she uses and believe me it tastes like barbacoa.

I guess if it makes you feel better, I can call it New England style beef seafood wraps, but you'll be disappointed because it will taste like barbacoa
Thwackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
ummmmmm yeah, I know. but the old Spanish lady that lives next door told me that the cowhead (the cheeks to be specific) is hard to find and messy to boot. She also said that it is the spices and the cooking that give it the barbacoa taste. So this is what she uses and believe me it tastes like barbacoa.

I guess if it makes you feel better, I can call it New England style beef seafood wraps, but you'll be disappointed because it will taste like barbacoa
as long as it is tasty, what does it matter what cut of meat you used... I grew up watching my grandfather and uncles make pit (hole in the ground) barbacoa and as I remember it's not just the head that was used... I remeber seeing almost a whole calf or two cut up and put in the pit for weddings. I will have to ask for the seasoning that was used but if I remeber correctly it was just salt... I will have to try this recipe...
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
Strummer
Ten Point
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

I need to make me up another batch . Cheek meat is easy to get where I live .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
boomer453
Ten Point
 
boomer453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the LA side of Toledo Bend
Hunt In: Sabine Parish
Default

try it with lamb shoulder or leg when you get a chance. absolutely fantastic.
boomer453 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #14
BigRed323
Ten Point
 
BigRed323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Hunt In: Texas, Missouri
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Barbacoa is not chuck roast.
Thanks captain obvious.
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #15
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
ummmmmm yeah, I know. but the old Spanish lady that lives next door told me that the cowhead (the cheeks to be specific) is hard to find and messy to boot. She also said that it is the spices and the cooking that give it the barbacoa taste. So this is what she uses and believe me it tastes like barbacoa.

I guess if it makes you feel better, I can call it New England style beef seafood wraps, but you'll be disappointed because it will taste like barbacoa
Lmao!!!!!


I don't care what you call it..... That looks good man!
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #16
texas assasin
Ten Point
 
texas assasin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Katy
Hunt In: any place I can
Default

Looks **** good
texas assasin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer453 View Post
try it with lamb shoulder or leg when you get a chance. absolutely fantastic.
My mouth is literally watering!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
rjvero
Ten Point
 
rjvero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sullivan City
Hunt In: Starr County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Thanks captain obvious.
rjvero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
Backwoods101
Pope & Young
 
Backwoods101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Needville
Hunt In: Brazoria/Fort Bend county, Harper
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
Got some in the crockpot right now. Good, cool rainy day meal. Gonna make some homemade salsa to go with it too. I'll post that recipe later as well





RECIPE-



Serves 8-10



Ingredients:

- 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast

- 4 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce - Chopped

- 5 Cloves Garlic - Chopped

- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin

- 3 tsp Oregano

- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth

- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

- 1/4 Cup (fresh) Lime Juice

- 3 Bay Leaves

- 5-6 sprigs fresh Cilantro

- Salt to taste

- Pepper to taste



For Serving: (optional)

- Flour/Corn Tortillas

- Cheese

- Sour Cream

- Salsa

- Guacamole

- Rice

- Black Beans



Cut the Roast into approximately six to eight large chunks. Season well with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the beef chunks (in batches if necessary) on all sides until browned. Transfer seared meat to slow cooker.



In a medium bowl combine chopped chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, beef broth, vinegar, lime juice, and additional salt and pepper (to taste). Mix well, then pour over beef in the slow cooker and add bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until meat shreds easily.



Remove bay leaves. Remove and shred beef. Return beef to slow cooker to marinate at least 10 more minutes, or until ready to serve. Great on nachos, tacos, and burritos! Enjoy!

So you chop up and add 4 of Chipotle peppers without adding any of the sauce?
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #20
EliteDriver
Ten Point
 
EliteDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Allen, Tx
Hunt In: Hamilton County
Default

Looks good!
EliteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com