Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some cattle raising tips....

for city slickers.

Parents just bought a couple acres and decided they wanted to feed out a couple cows for the family each year. they have about 2-2.5 acres with a small tank and a few mature trees. the property has been neglected for years and only been used off and on for horses.

they are too old to jump into this alone so I figure I'm going to have to run point. not sure what Dad's thinking, this really isn't his game. mom just wants a healthy alternative to buying store bought beef.

all I know about raising beef is it tastes great on the grill. looking for any tips for a complete newby in this. what breed? what do I need to do to improve the pasture? when do we start? in short, what am I getting myself into?

I think it will be fun and rewarding, and great to get the kids involved. but like I really needed another project on my plate.

any help educating me will be greatly appreciated.

You already got the hat so first step done. God luck

Comment

Get ready to buy a lot of feed. 2.5 acres will not support much

Comment

After a couple of years you won't even like beef on the grill.

Comment

I have always heard 4-5 acres per head so you will be buying more feed and hay than most. I have 10 acres and thought about cattle but could only support a few head so I went with boer goats instead. A lot less feed and the 10 acres will support more animals.
          A buddy of mine does what your talking about though. He will buy a 5-7 month pregnant cow at auction and raise the young till off teat, slaughter the cow for personal consumption and by the time he goes through the meat the offspring is big enough for slaughter. Then go buy another pregnant cow and start over again. He hasn't purchased grocery store beef in 20 years or more.

Comment

Buy mini-cows

Comment

I figured the acreage was low, or should I say I guessed, because at this point that's all I have to go on. it's no surprise that we would have a large feed bill. my issue is, it's not totally a cost thing, as we wouldn't be trying to turn a profit, just manage better what we are eating. the issue though, is if I have to feed a bunch, that means my butt is the one doing it!

maybe I can talk them into goats, but right now I have to run down all the info on beef.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                Buy mini-cows
                my neighbor has a couple. makes me feel big standing next to them.

perfect for making sliders.

Comment

You got a way to haul a calf from the auction barn and over to the processor?

Buy a calf at auction and pour the feed to it until its about 600#.

Or just buy a calf and take it straight to the processor.

Put some goats on the 2.5 acres and sell them.
                  Last edited by Traildust; 04-30-2018, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Get chickens if doing it for food. Not enough land for beef

Comment

By a bred longhorn and calve them out and sale as a pair and then buy another bred longhorn. You catch the time of year right and that roping calve will top the market
                      Last edited by Texans42; 04-30-2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Most likely you can go to a local auction and buy a steer in the 600lb range for cheaper than you can feed one out. Being local it will most likely come from a larger place and be grass fed. In south Texas we figure 10-15 acres per head without having to feed much but we usually have less rain than other parts of the state or so it seems. You will need a water trough with a good supply of water, a source of shade if no trees in the pen and make sure the fences and gates are up to the job. Good luck on your decision.

Comment

With that acreage it would support 1 IF willing to supplement 1/3-1/2 bag per day + hay. You would come out the same result much cheaper buying one from someone set up to finish out. Equipment alone will cost a fortune to feed 1
                          Last edited by Low Fence; 04-30-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

I do not think 2 acres is enough. If you want to buy better beef I would go to local butcher shop and talk to them and ask bout where there cows are from.

Comment

A lot of folks here saying that's not enough land for raising a couple of cows.My brother,and I both raised calves for FFA purposes(basically the same thing your mom wants to do) Feed em up,and slaughter.All of them were raised in about a 1/4 acre pen.Shorthorns,and Simmental.
                              They tasted the same!lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X