Kosher Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kosher Sausage

So my daughters best friend is Jewish and this has sent me down a rabbit hole with cooking for her.

They are not extremest and are OK with most things, but I want to cook and be respectful of their beliefs.

That brought me to the deer sausage or better Kosher Deer Sausage. Does it exist and how would you make it... Yes it does but the fat adder is the key..

We make or have sausage made every year. We use the venison trimmings and all the hogs we kill to make up the bulk. Normally we have to add some fat just to make it sizzle.

So If I cut out pork. That leaves me with really beef as the other "white meat" substitute..

I can not say that I have ever had Beef/Venison combo sausage.

I see lots of places offer it but I thought.. The green Screen will have the most some what qualified opinions on this subject...

Doesn't Kosher also have to do with the facility in which the food is prepared? Serious question... Thought I remember Andrew Zimmern refer to a kitchen they were visiting as "kosher." Maybe he was referring to their practices/methods
    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 08-14-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I googled and came up with this article
      Kosher sausages conform to the same manufacturing rules as other sausages

Comment

I remember when I was butchering we had a Jewish man that would request kosher and we would use beef. However I believe we had to be very strict with the cuts and make sure there were no arteries or glands in it. It had to be all separate. Hope that give some sort of direction

Comment

Yep, more to "kosher" than just "no pork"... Technically if you didn't kill the deer by cutting its throat (either with the gun shot or arrow placement), it could not be used as "kosher". If I were you, I'd ask your friend just what "kosher" requirements they'd like for you to observe in this sausage making. Personally, I like beef fat in my sausage pretty well. I do prefer pork, but hard brisket tallow makes a fine sausage patty!

Comment

Kosher sausage is awesome.

Comment

Hunted wild game meat is not strictly kosher because of the method of kill.

Comment

Working...
              X