Big Bend lens suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend lens suggestions?

Daughter wanted to go somewhere "scenic" for spring break so she could take pictures.

Big Bend seemed like a nice destination so I got busy and after LOTS of internet looking I found a decent place to stay that was not already booked up.

Canon T3i so needs to be something compatible

Plan is to rent 2-3 lenses for the week and go take lots of pictures. Very much entry level/wannabe photographers

What I am thinking
    • EF 70-200 IS f2.8
    • EF 24-70 IS f2.8
    • EF 50 f1.2

Any suggestions appreciated

Plan is to hit Monahans SP on way, then both Big Bend SP and NP and all other interesting areas nearby.

McDonald Observatory
    Maybe look for the "Marfa lights"
    Last edited by BTLowry; 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM.

If you have the 24-70 and the 70-200 I would think that would cover the range needed. Only thing I might suggest would be a long prime lens maybe 300 or so? Im no professional but in my limited experience that is probably what I would take if I were going.

Comment

You might want something wider, honestly. It will be more about landscapes than wildlife in my opinion. Look at the Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-40 or 16-35.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        You might want something wider, honestly. It will be more about landscapes than wildlife in my opinion. Look at the Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-40 or 16-35.
        I am with Casey, an ultra wide angle would be great, especially if you want to shoot any star pics while you are there..

Comment

Scratch the 50 and go wide.

Don't forget to take a good tripod

Comment

Everyone beat me to it, but a wide angle would be my choice instead of the 50. Especially if you end up bringing one or both of the other two lenses you mention. I had a lot of fun with the Canon 10-18mm. Nice and light and not too expensive.

Comment

Also, if you have any interest in wildlife, you may want to grab something a little longer than the 70-200. Maybe the Canon 100-400L or something similar.

Comment

I don't own any of them, will be renting all so pretty much anything is possible

May even rent a full frame body to play with

Comment

Good suggestions already. I've personally been looking hard at the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art, it's been getting great reviews.

Comment

Tokina 11-20 f2.8 or Sigma 18-35 f1.8?

Comment

Night time photography is really fun out there because of the stars, practice before you go. Good tripod and remote help a lot. Hike the window trail at BBNP. Really wide low f would be the best. I took my 18-35, 40, and 70-300 and I had no want for anything else.

Comment

Plan is to lease 2-3 focal points for the week and go take bunches of pictures. Especially passage level/wannabe picture takers. What I am considering. EF 70-200 IS f2.8; EF 24-70 IS f2.8; EF 50 f1.2. Any proposals increased in value

Comment

Working...
                        X