Austrian winter peas in to late spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Austrian winter peas in to late spring?

How late into the spring/summer will these peas grow? The ones in my plot are waist high in some spots.

Don’t know. They are still growing when I spray them in May. They are too mature now and are even less desirable than they already were.

Comment

Yeah, they are a nice thought, but the deer don't seem to favor them nearly as much as other things. I've replaced them in my fall plantings with medium red clover.

Comment

They usually don't tend to grow very well in my plots. I would like to see that stand of peas. If deer don't eat them, why do they put them in blends?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          They usually don't tend to grow very well in my plots. I would like to see that stand of peas. If deer don't eat them, why do they put them in blends?
          Cause people have been told deer love them, and 99% of people don’t test “statements/claims”.

BUT just because them don’t prefer them (in most plots) they do serve a purpose. They are a legume, make lots of organic matter and provide food when there is none. Deer will eat them if they have too!

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Cause people have been told deer love them, and 99% of people don’t test “statements/claims”.

BUT just because them don’t prefer them (in most plots) they do serve a purpose. They are a legume, make lots of organic matter and provide food when there is none. Deer will eat them if they have too!
            I guess my deer like them, I usually don't see to many sprouting in my plots. Assuming they pluck them as soon as they get up a bit.

Comment

The deer love them here in southeast texas.

There are different varieties that deer prefer more than others. Some have white flowers, some have purple or pink.

I never bought mixes, I made my own. That way you can pick the most desirable forage with no filler crqp that mixes are full of.

Comment

Working...
              X