Need a little help? Plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help? Plz

Hi all, I'm pretty new to trad and have googled/researched until my eyes bleed. My arrows are porpoising. Really bad with bare shafts.
    I'm shooting:
    Recurve 41#@ 28- 7 1/2 brace height
    I string walk and I might think this is a big reason it's doing this but I don't know anyone else that shoots a recurve to ask?
    32" gold tip 400 traditional
    I've tried 125 grain field points with/with out 50 grain inserts.

Double nocking point. I've open and closed the distances between the 2 thinking it was pinching the arrow nock.

I've adjusted the nocking point from 1/2-5/8.

The best arrow flight I've gotten was with a 125 grain field point and 5/8 nocking point.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dgUt1hUI6o&sns=em"]Porpoising arrow - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by boh347; 06-25-2017, 11:37 AM.

Way over spined with 400s at #41 unless you've got around 300 grains up front. How high is your nock and what's your crawl?

Move that nock up to 3/4 or 7/8.
    Last edited by shortstroke 91; 06-25-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

You would be better served with 600 spined shafts or 500 and a lot of tip weight. You could use a 600 spined shaft at 30" and 145 grain point with 50 grain insert and be pretty close in my experience at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

500 spine shafts full length start with the insert you will use and wanted weight field tip. Shoot it and cut it with your arrow saw until it stops.

You will need at least 300 gr up front on a full length 400 for that draw.
        Keep the shafts you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
          You would be better served with 600 spined shafts or 500 and a lot of tip weight. You could use a 600 spined shaft at 30" and 145 grain point with 50 grain insert and be pretty close in my experience at least.

This

Comment

Ok thanks for the feed back guys. I thought that it might be over spined and I triple checked the gold tip chart.

I'll order some 500's.

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
              Way over spined with 400s at #41 unless you've got around 300 grains up front. How high is your nock and what's your crawl?

Move that nock up to 3/4 or 7/8.

My nock is at 5/8 but have tried it up to 1" above center.

My crawl is around 1 3/8"

Comment

My draw is 29" on a compound

Comment

Go with the 600s if you want to stay with the 125 grain heads. You'll thank me later. 500s full length will still require about 175 to 200 grains.

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
                    Go with the 600s if you want to stay with the 125 grain heads. You'll thank me later. 500s full length will still require about 175 to 200 grains.

Awesome thank you sir. I'll order some today.

Comment

Are you stringwalking or shooting a fixed crawl? What is the tiller on the bow and is it an ILF bow?

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                        Ok thanks for the feed back guys. I thought that it might be over spined and I triple checked the gold tip chart.

I'll order some 500's.
                        Can't blame ya if you used that chart. But that chart looks way off to me.

Comment

An easy way to figure carbon spine is to divide 31.5 by the actual deflection of the shaft, that'll give you an approximate as to what the actual spine will be when checked the same way that wood arrows are done. #2 weight on 26" posts.

A GT 3555 or 500 is (31.5/.500 = #63)
                          those 400s = 31.5/.400 = #78
                          Last edited by shortstroke 91; 06-26-2017, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X