semi Long Beard with a longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

semi Long Beard with a longbow

I recently got a new longbow from CHackworth3. The bow is only 56" long so I can shoot it out of a pop-up blind. Even though I haven't had great success with a shotgun or a compound in years past, I decided to hunt with my longbow this year. There just are not a lot of turkey on my property and the opportunities normally are rare and very frustrating. I got off to a late start due to weather and some projects I was working on around the shop. Around 9:00 am I heard a gobbler so I decided to at least go put the pop-up out and maybe do a little calling. I mainly just wanted to get my blind in a good position for this weekend. I carried everything in to a spot that I've seen turkeys while deer hunting. I had a feeling it was going to be a good day when I found a decent shed antler on the way. As I was popping the blind up I heard a gobbler about 400 yards. I hurried and set out two hen decoys and began calling on a box call. The second I hit the call a gobbler blew my hat off at around 100 yards. Almost instantly, I could see three jakes coming in to the decoys. I was shaking almost uncontrollably. I only had one small window open in the blind looking out over my decoys that were about 10 yards out. All of a sudden the three jakes walked thru at 12 yards and never stopped. They were out of my shooting lane in 3 seconds. I sat there cussing myself thinking I'd blown my only opportunity. I kept calling but the jakes worked their way around my blind and left. I was sick! I decided to barely open another window so that I could see what was going on and get ready a little faster. I called again and almost immediately another gobbler sounded off. When he came into view I almost passed out. It was the biggest gobbler I've ever seen and he was at 20 yards full strut coming my way. I was ready this time.......well I thought I was. When he got to my shooting lane he got a little spooking and ran through. When he got through my decoys he stopped. I got into position and took a shot at 18 yards. I cut a few feathers off his butt and he just stood there! I hit my call trying to bring him back and three more gobblers sounded off to my right at 8 yards. I told myself "this is NOT happening". When these three walked through my lane I was finally ready for a shot. He was at 15 yards. The shot seemed to be in slow motion. I watched the arrow all the way and center punched him. He ran about 25 yards and piled up! I tossed the blind off and ran like a wild man over to him. I still cant believe it all worked out. I've killed big turkey with a rifle, shotgun and compound, but none of them got me tore up like this one!! Sorry for the long read, but I'm still excited. My wife is SICK of hearing about it. haha

[ATTACH]707245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]707246[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]707247[/ATTACH]

Sounds like an awesome hunt!! Great story and congrats on finding the nice shed and connecting on the gobbler!!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats, man!!!
        Thats what its all about.
        I got excited just by reading your story.

Comment

Man that is awesome. Congrats on the hunt!

Comment

Way to go! Great story and turkey.

Comment

Ha! Way to go Todd!

Comment

CONGRATS! I connected with my turkey with a bow last fall and I'm hooked.

Comment

I've done it with a compound but bow to you doing it with a long bow. Congrats.

Comment

Great job! Just curious, how do you shoot with the shelf cut on the wrong side?

Comment

It doesn't get much better than that! Congrats

Comment

Awesome man I am happy for ya

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          He is left handed

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            I'm wrong handed

Comment

Nice bird!
                              Your 2nd pic reminds me of that giraffe pic

Comment

Working...
                              X