PSA about helicopter insurance....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA about helicopter insurance....

I brought this up last year and I'm bringing it up again. Not long after this incident I had some kind of attack at the lease. Doubled me over. I finally had my lease partner drive me home, 247 miles to the hospital. After tests I was told my gall bladder was gangrenous and had to be removed. I'm glad someone was at the lease with me. Had I not come in when I did the Dr. said I could have had serious repercussions.

In fact, the day I got sick, the phone company was installing the hard line. LOL! However, my airmed insurance was not paid up. It is now. I have all three of them.

October 2016:
    My lease partner was in Fredricksburg last weekend running the sound for a band. He had a heart attack and was airlifted to Methodist TexSan hospital in San Antonio. There are two helicopter ambulance services that serve the hill country, AirLife and AirEvac I believe. He thought he had both services, but had not renewed one of the services. He found out yesterday that the service that flew him to San Antonio was the one that was current and paid. He got lucky. The hospital told him that had the other unpaid service picked him up he would have received a bill for $52,000.

My buddy had 99% blockage in one artery, he got a stent and he is going to have a full recovery.

I've been thinking about this for a couple of seasons now. Our lease has no hard line phone service. If something happens you have to drive a 4 wheeler to the top of the mountain, dial 911 if your lucky enough to get a signal, and then give them the lat/long.

This incident has convinced me to make the call.

I want everyone who lives in the rural areas and has those helicopter policies to make sure that they are ALL up to date and paid. And, to the several members here who hunt in SW Texas near Dryden, Pumpville, Sanderson, etc., it may be worthwhile to call Big Bend Telephone service in Alpine and get a hard line installed.

Everyone be safe!

Honestly say... i didnt know there was such a thing.
    Calling my rep today.

Comment

How much are these insurance policies?

Comment

I'm just gonna use the "No habla" insurance plan. Works for 20 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          I'm just gonna use the "No habla" insurance plan. Works for 20 million.

oooh.. gotta love options...

Comment

Call your local fire department, EMS or hospital to find out which air services service your hunt area/home. There are several out there. I'm paying through my employer, the county. One service is $10/year, another is $60/year, and another is $9/month. One service, MASA actually covers both ground and air transport so I may not renew two of them next year. Inexpensive insurane that could save you a $52K bill. IJS

I also keep the lat/long of both the camphouse and my blind in my phone.

I'm going to the lease alone this weekend. I try not to go alone anymore, but it can't be helped this weekend.

Comment

My wife was taken by Life Flight from Memorial Hermann in Humble to the Memorial Hermann in the medical center in 2014, 27 years old. We never anticipated needing this level of coverage at our age. Her flight was 8 minutes and roughly 20 miles by air. The bill was $21k and we had no idea that there was a separate policy for this. There is also a separate policy, that we didn't have, for emergency ground transportation. I can tell you that it was a nightmare to get this all resolved and we ended up having to get letters from all the doctors that were involved in her treatment. The insurance basically told us that the lifeflight was not needed so they had zero obligation to pay any of it. The doctor that was working for the insurance company reviewing our case was a OBGYN, my wife had a blood clot in the front of her brain and somehow they felt an OBGYN was competent to review this.

Get the policy and you wont have to deal with 1-1/2 years of headache arguing with insurance reps.

Comment

When we lived in Fayette County I had a policy for the entire family that was about $160 for a 3 year subscription. Living in the country this is a must have investment IMO.

Comment

I am a member of the Air Med Care network. Covers most of Texas. Very inexpensive.

Comment

Yep, a buddy's son was struck by lightning on top of a mountain in Colorado about 10 years ago. Helicoptered to hospital, full recovery (interview on Oprah, etc.). Then they were presented with a $35K bill for the helicopter.
                    Another friend had sold him his insurance policy and they had some serious heart-to-heart conversations about coverage for that. Their friendship ended over it.

Comment

My dad took the helo ride from Fredericksburg to Brook Army (BAMC) last year after he had a hunting accident and shot himself in the foot with his 6.8 AR. It's not a good feeling when you roll into a small town hospital and they tell you that there isn't much they can do for your situation other than to make it stop hurting. He got a bill for 49k for that ride from the Helo company. His insurance picked it up as out of network and he had to pay 6.5k of it as his out of pocket/out of network maximum payment. Here we are a year later and BAMC has yet to send a bill for the initial triage and resulting foot surgeries. He does have a pretty gnarly x-ray of his foot now too...

Fortuantely the insurance company did treat the helo ride as life saving so they covered it, had they not he would have been stuck with the full bill. This supplementary insurance is cheap enough that anybody that hunts in remote locations should not be with out it.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Comment

If they didn't charge insane rates, they might get paid a little more often.

Comment

2 years ago my son was accidentally shot while Quail hunting south of Bracketville. Only saw 3 spots where he was hit, 1 on right cheek, 1 on right shoulder and 1 on the left neck. No bleeding at all, just thought he was peppered. I didn't think it was serious, but decided to drive him to Del Rio for X-rays and just to cover my butt with the wife. X-rays reviled 2 pellets in his right lung and one in his jaw. A partially collapsed lung caused the Del Rio hospital to request airlife to San Antonio, and a heartbreaking call to my wife. He was sent to University Hospital where they did nothing but observe him for two days. 2 weeks later I received the billing statement. Over 84,000.00!! Of the total Bill Airlife was 65,000! Luckily my medical insurance covered the flight.

Since then I have changed insurance, so I am going to have to check my policy for airlife coverage. Thanks for bringing this up!

To this day all 3 pellets are still in my son! No issues thank god! He is a HS sophomore and starting QB for the JV team. Still loves hunting but will never hunt with anyone else.

Comment

Very important info...MANY thanks for starting this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              I am a member of the Air Med Care network. Covers most of Texas. Very inexpensive.
                              This seems like a good option, BUT how do you know it will be one of their network companies that picks you up? You just take a chance?

Comment

Working...
                              X