No announcement yet.

I have sleep apnea - CPAP questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highly recommend the Amara view mask. I'm a mouth breather too and I love it

Comment

I finally did my second study last Tuesday night, 2.5 months after the first thanks to insurance. Was told Thursday that the Dr's office will deal with insurance now and get a machine setup and ordered, then schedule a home visit, supposedly, to set it up. I hope it all happens quick, i need a good night sleep. No telling what it may cost me. The second study cost me 650 out of pocket. They used the nasal pillow. My nostrals were sore and my mouth kept filling up and popping open. Got annoying. Oh well

Comment

Was also told the face masks would work as well with a thick gotee because they would leak air pressure. Any truth in that?

Comment

I got one a little over a month ago through Medicare. It took some getting used to and a couple of conversations with the medical folks to get it right. Mine is not the auto model, but mine is adjustable for "flex". I have both a full face mask and a "wisp" that just covers the nose.
          I had a big problem at first due to the pressure setting prescribed. It was set at 10 and from the first night I had the screaming S#!+s and unbelievable gas. The thing was pumping me full of air, and by early morning my stomach was cramping and you know the rest...every morning.
          I told them the problem and they said that there could be no connection between the cpap use and the trots. Well, I finally made them adjust the pressure down to 8 and have had no stomach problems since.

Comment

I also use a velcro chin strap to keep my jaw shut so my mouth doesn't flop open. I sure sleep good now.

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
              I like mine so much I am trying to see about a battery powered one for when I go Boy Scout camping with my son
              Have you tried carrying a battery or a power converter you can use off the truck if it is close enough. I have had one since 1989 and cant sleep with out it. You will feel a lot better once you get started with it.
              Last edited by papapross; 11-06-2016, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papapross View Post
                Have you tried carrying a battery or a power converter you can use off the truck if it is close enough. I have had one since 1989 and cant sleep with out it. You will feel a lot better once you get started with it.
                When we go hiking I can't take a big battery. I don't want to go without but may not have a choice

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                  Was also told the face masks would work as well with a thick gotee because they would leak air pressure. Any truth in that?
                  Facial hair does cause it to leak. I have my straps right so it does not leak bad.

Comment

Brother has this issue. He claims after he got his cpap machine he felt like a new person.

Comment

I want a CPAP machine and accessories without the study. Is that possible?

Comment

I have sleep apnea - CPCP questions

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        I want a CPAP machine and accessories without the study. Is that possible?

Technically it is if you want to buy used, but you have absolutely zero way to be accurate on the air level you need. Too little isnt helping you and too much can lead to some medical problems mainly with the heart.

Why would you want a CPAP without somebody telling you if you need one or not... and what level your sleeping sweet spot is.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                          I'm currently a mouth breather when I sleep, I'm not sure if that will change when I start using the CPAP.
                          It will change Keith, I am a mouth breather without my CPAP. The air thru my nose pillows forces my mouth to close when I'm asleep.

Comment

I have a pretty decent goatee and don't really have any issues with air leakage. Just have to get the strap(s) tension right.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                              It will change Keith, I am a mouth breather without my CPAP. The air thru my nose pillows forces my mouth to close when I'm asleep.
                              This! If you use nose pillows and are a mouth breather, you will either start to sleep with your mouth closed, or will quickly learn to hate CPAP. I have slept one night with my mouth open for a while and woke up so dried out that my sinuses and throat were so dry I was in severe pain/coukdnt swallow for almost 3 hrs. needless to say, I learned quick to keep my mouth shut (after 12 years of marraige, you would think keeping my mouth shut would be automatic!) A chin strap might be the way to go if you still have issues. I use the phillips mask that just sets under your nose, but just recently ordered a noze pillow mask and im waiting for it to come in. I move too much in my sleep and it causes leaks with my current mask.

my current mask. very comfortable, but doesnt stay in place if you move a lot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post

Did the same exact thing for me..

Comment

Working...
                                X