How serious do you consider wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How serious do you consider wind?

Been thinking alot lately about wind direction in relation to bow hunting. Alot of guys who have success killing mature deer every year claim a lightbulb went off when they started to understand how well the deer use wind to their advantage. What are yalls thoughts on wind and opinions on hunting even when the wind "is not right"

In for responses, you may want to see if you can get this moved to another section (not Recipes).

Comment

Originally posted by SETXbowhunter22 View Post
      Been thinking alot lately about wind direction in relation to bow hunting. Alot of guys who have success killing mature deer every year claim a lightbulb went off when they started to understand how well the deer use wind to their advantage. What are yalls thoughts on wind and opinions on hunting even when the wind "is not right"
      Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      In for responses, you may want to see if you can get this moved to another section (not Recipes).
      im not sure how

Comment

PM one of the Moderators. Mods listed at the bottom of each forum.

Comment

To me it’s tied for enemy #1 with entry/exit route to stand. I spend all year designing setups to make the wind work for me the best I can.

Mature bucks will almost never give up the wind advantage. Meaning they won’t walk with wind at their rear end. They work like a bird dog. My best set ups allow them to use there noise to feel safe with me juuustttt off the radar a few degrees. I will never hunt a stand with a bad wind and ain’t afraid to move a few trees over if needed.

Another thing to remember during rut is they are smelling for does. They won’t walk dead into wind unless they smell what they want. They will trail with a side wind to cover ground effectively. Be outside that trail and it’s a hotspot! If you can get there without crossing it with your scent or bumping deer

Comment

This is a thread that has promise. Can a Mod move it to a more appropriate forum please.

Low Fence, I'm of the opposite, but granted not very educated in deer-wind. From what I've read, especially with bedding, and I can see the same with deer movement, they use their eyes/hearing while movement downwind and scent from their rear. But I'd be interested to hear the other argument.

Comment

Bed is a little different since they are not “searching”. They can scan 100x more area while in cover with their nose walking parallel to bedding with wind blowing across vs straight in or out. The scent “cone” be it a hot doe or danger would be minute in comparison

Comment

Wind is the number one thing to consider....a deers nose does not lie!

Comment

It’s your worst enemy if you play it wrong!

Comment

Wind. Is. Everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      To me it’s tied for enemy #1 with entry/exit route to stand. I spend all year designing setups to make the wind work for me the best I can.

Mature bucks will almost never give up the wind advantage. Meaning they won’t walk with wind at their rear end. They work like a bird dog. My best set ups allow them to use there noise to feel safe with me juuustttt off the radar a few degrees. I will never hunt a stand with a bad wind and ain’t afraid to move a few trees over if needed.

Another thing to remember during rut is they are smelling for does. They won’t walk dead into wind unless they smell what they want. They will trail with a side wind to cover ground effectively. Be outside that trail and it’s a hotspot! If you can get there without crossing it with your scent or bumping deer

Comment

When bowhunting, 100% hunt with correct wind only. Rifle hunting is elevated tower, not so much.

Comment

You can use all the products you want. Sprays, soaps, suits, and cover scents. If the wind is wrong your busted. In my experience, in some areas, immature deer may be fooled. The one I’m huntin ain’t letting it fly. I don’t do anything in the way of scent control because in my opinion and experience it’s a waste of time and money. The wind is #1 friend and #1 foe at the same time. You cannot beat their nose.

Comment

The only thing better than a deer's nose is a big old mature boar's nose

Comment

I use vanilla so I don't worry about the wind just don't make eye contact.

Comment

Working...
                              X