Lumpy Jaw Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumpy Jaw Deer

Few trail camera pictures caught 2 deer with lumpy jaw. The deer looks ok. I saw them last season, seem the lumpy jaw does not bother them too much. I have few questions: 1) does lumpy jaw infect others? should I get rid of them as soon as possible? 2) is the deer still safe to consume?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0269.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	25096430

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0274.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	25096431

May be food compaction. If thats the case it should be fine to eat. Don't know about lumpy jaw, never heard of it.

Comment

Had one like her that lived at my house for about three years. She always threw twins and was in perfectly good condition. Never infected any of the others. Only reason she didn't get shot is because she was kinda like a pet. I wouldn't have been scared to eat her though

Comment

Proximate cause is food impaction ultimately caused by arterial worms. They seem to be able to live quite a while with it, but once abscessed, it will kill the deer. Most of the meat should be OK.

Comment

Thanks you guys.

Comment

It is fine to eat. Have killed several over the years. watched my kid cut it open on one he shot and it was way worse than a gutshot deer.

Comment

I've never seen one like that. Thanks for the info on cutting it open. If I ever shoot one I'll be sure NOT to investigate the pouch. I'll let the kids do it

Comment

Working...
              X