Mad Island WMA Youth Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Island WMA Youth Hunt

I just received word that my son got drawn for Mad Island youth hunt (Gun Deer Either category)in October. I have found virtually no info from the web from anyone who has been out there deer hunting. Anyone on the boards have experience here. This is our first public hunt and his first hunt ever so any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you sure they haven't drawn those yet ?

Comment

Sure

For regular your right. I should have been more specific. This was E-Post Card (Youth Deer). The app deadline for this one was the 16th. All regular permits are due by today 9-20-2016 and should be drawn later this week. I double checked the website anyway. This is the 1st year I have entered in the drawings so I'm a noob to the whole system.
      Last edited by wkkemper; 09-20-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Congrats. I have never been on a deer hunt there but did a gator hunt a few years ago. Very flat and brushy. Looked like they had nice elevated blinds for the deer and hog hunts. Place is LOADED with hogs, but not sure of deer population. I would bring a thermacell or two for mosquitos. Guys running the place are very cool. Should be a good time.

Comment

Never been there but know the area... J-Bob is right. You better bring the thermacell or risk getting carried away.

Best of luck!!!!

Comment

Did a youth doe hunt 3 yrs ago there. Both boys shot a doe and a pig. Saw a few decent bucks. Should be a good hunt. I hunted Stringfellow and Hurst every year when my kids were young and these guys all run their hunts pretty much the same. Rubber boots and thermacells are a must.

Comment

I've never hunted there but I've heard good optics is very helpful due to high grass. Either binoculars or spotting scope wouldn't hurt for both of y'all to have a pair to glass. Good Luck post up your story after the hunt

Comment

Working...
              X