Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about WMA for the game wardens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about WMA for the game wardens?

Is it legal to openly carry a handgun for personal protection without a license, while bow hunting/ scouting on a WMA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no

Comment

I found this online but wasn't sure if it was referring to national forests or wma's.

Comment

No

Comment

Don't forget fellers, there are 4 types of public lands in Texas. And each has it's own rules. Some have sub rules depending on how the land is managed and where. So don't assume the rules for one are the same for all the rest. It's best to ask the person, or entity, that is running the land you are inquiring about.

Just a reminder.

Comment

He said wma in his op so I figured he meant state run wma's. If so the answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Don't forget fellers, there are 4 types of public lands in Texas. And each has it's own rules. Some have sub rules depending on how the land is managed and where. So don't assume the rules for one are the same for all the rest. It's best to ask the person, or entity, that is running the land you are inquiring about.

Just a reminder.

So who would be the best to talk too? The local game warden?

Comment

I would go to whom ever manages the place. Not all WMAs are run by the state. There are both Federal game wardens and State Game Wardens on some. If it is managed by the state, then that is who I'd call first. If it is a Federal WMA, then I'd make every effort to contact the office that dose the maintenance there. They should know who to direct you to. If it is run by the U.S. Forestry service, then that is who you should contact. And if it is an Army Corps of Engineers project, then contact the project office, as each ACE project has different rules too.

Comment

Originally posted by newbieG View Post
                  So who would be the best to talk too? The local game warden?

If I ever have a question, I look up the local GW's number and give them a call. That's the easiest way to clear things up.

Comment

No definately not

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      I would go to whom ever manages the place. Not all WMAs are run by the state. There are both Federal game wardens and State Game Wardens on some. If it is managed by the state, then that is who I'd call first. If it is a Federal WMA, then I'd make every effort to contact the office that dose the maintenance there. They should know who to direct you to. If it is run by the U.S. Forestry service, then that is who you should contact. And if it is an Army Corps of Engineers project, then contact the project office, as each ACE project has different rules too.
                      X2, some federal lands have different rules.

Comment

I carry anyways

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
                          I carry anyways

Ever been stopped by a warden?

Comment

Clear as mud

Comment

I think this is an area where the state (and perhaps federal) authorities need to provide more clarity. Under the description above, it states no, but reads as if you can so long as you don't use it for hunting purposes. Carrying one and hunting with one are quite different. I would say that your best bet is to contact the actual game wardens you would be dealing with in that county. They should know, and can certainly tell you whether or not they would have an issue with it if they came in contact with you on said land and you were carrying.

Comment

Working...
                              X