E-Fence and hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Fence and hogs

Does anyone have any experience with electric fencing and hogs around food plots. If so, did it work to keep hogs out and what was the configuration ? Thanks.

I’ve used it to keep them out of my oats
    I added a hot wire 8” off the ground to a existing 5 wire barb wire fence
    The plastic insulators don’t work well as they get knocked off l got some porcelain insulators from the electric co I retired from that work great

Comment

Thanks ! Anyone else have experience ?

Comment

Never have tried it on wild ones but worked with a guy that had domestics and he said it takes a lot of juice

Comment

I tried it a few times and it will work but you need a real good charger. I ran three ground rods and one ground wire and one hot wire. The problem is the maintenance to keep it going. Spray lots of Gly on the fence line, and check it everyday.

I dont know if a solar powered charger will have enough juice to get it done, I used a 110v one.

Comment

I’ve got a bow and AR with electric lights if you need to go that route . No help on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              I tried it a few times and it will work but you need a real good charger. I ran three ground rods and one ground wire and one hot wire. The problem is the maintenance to keep it going. Spray lots of Gly on the fence line, and check it everyday.

I dont know if a solar powered charger will have enough juice to get it done, I used a 110v one.
              Thanks ! I think a charger that puts out .5 Joules is what's recommended for deer. I'm gonna try to get one substantiallly stronger if I do it.

They recommend putting the outsde wire of a two-stage fence about 30" off the ground I believe. I think I need to run another wire about 12" off the ground as well if I'm trying to stop hogs.

If I do this, it's gonna be one plot at a time so I won't get into it whole HOG....

Comment

I have the 10 mile solar powered one from TSC I've used it for a few years now and it keeps them out. of course you have to keep the weeds and grass from touching it or it will ground out. I'm also only fencing in around 2 acres.

Comment

My uncle keeps them out of his smallish corn field with two wires. The wire closest to the corn is about 18-20 inches and about a foot outside of that is one about 8-10 inches off the ground.

He's running a very hot box. Not sure if it's what's needed but it has fired a couple of coons so it has it's benefits.

No hogs have entered that 15 acre field and he's just off of a river bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                    I’ve got a bow and AR with electric lights if you need to go that route . No help on the fence.
                    BB, right now the hogs are pretty scarce. I guess it's so dry they went on to greener pastures. In the late winter to spring months they get pretty predictable, or at least they have the last couple years. We didn't see any the last three times we went using NV scopes. After this rain I saw a few tracks this past weekend. After deer season though, PM me and we'll see what we can do.

Comment

I put two strands 10” and 20”. Them little hogs will get through if you go any higher. Big hog will get through once and a while. Some friends of mine farm along the San Antonio river and run nothing but electric to keep the hogs out. They told me how to set it up.

Comment

I knew a guy that put up a 5 strand hot wire (2 of which were ground wires) around a 20 acre pasture. It worked amazingly well.

Comment

I have been using Dr Kroll's method for the last 3 years. It has worked really good for me.

Dr Kroll's method is 2 fences around the plot. The inside fence is 2 strands of wire at about 12" and 38" off the ground. The outside fence is about 36" outside the first fence with a single strand of wire at 24" off the ground.

I still have one pea patch that I planted in the spring. I haven't opened up for the deer yet and you can go pick peas right now if you want to.

Here are a few things I have learned.
                          1. Dont go cheap on the charger. Get Gallagher they are the best and they work.
                          2. Ground it good.
                          3. Use a visible material. I like the white 1/2" tape. Tape wider than 1/2" will sag really bad when it gets wet.
                          4. Keep the fence line clear. One tiny blade of grass or a wildflower will ground out in a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            I put two strands 10” and 20”. Them little hogs will get through if you go any higher. Big hog will get through once and a while. Some friends of mine farm along the San Antonio river and run nothing but electric to keep the hogs out. They told me how to set it up.
                            Thanks ! I thought I would have to put two wires on the front fence. This affirms that thought.

Originally posted by turkeyhunter1 View Post
                            I have been using Dr Kroll's method for the last 3 years. It has worked really good for me.

Dr Kroll's method is 2 fences around the plot. The inside fence is 2 strands of wire at about 12" and 38" off the ground. The outside fence is about 36" outside the first fence with a single strand of wire at 24" off the ground.

I still have one pea patch that I planted in the spring. I haven't opened up for the deer yet and you can go pick peas right now if you want to.

Here are a few things I have learned.
                            1. Dont go cheap on the charger. Get Gallagher they are the best and they work.
                            2. Ground it good.
                            3. Use a visible material. I like the white 1/2" tape. Tape wider than 1/2" will sag really bad when it gets wet.
                            4. Keep the fence line clear. One tiny blade of grass or a wildflower will ground out in a second.

I'll check into that charger. I noticed them in my research. I'd rather buy quality than buy often !

Comment

A 24" tall net designed to contain domestic pigs and exclude feral hogs. Recommended for areas with wet or dry soils or heavy feral hog pressure (food plots, gardens, etc).

This is what you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X