off subject.... Labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

off subject.... Labs

so i got a 10 month old AKC registered lab and i am wanting to make a duck dog out of him... any and all advice and tips are appreciated thanks!

ttt

Comment

best advice is start working him now and look at getting him in a school if your not wanting to do it yourself. I start working mine from the time there 8 weeks and have been pretty successful at it. Good luck though

Comment

Get the video Water Dog. Some people will say it is outdated, but it has all you need unless you want to run field trials. Take your time, be patient.

Comment

Hopefully you've already started obedience training...

Comment

we havent started anything... i just got him today... and he is not house/crate trained or doesnt have any of his obiedence trainign but i am about to start on that....

Comment

ttt.....

Comment

Spend as much time with him so that you can bond. He needs to trust you. Take your time be patient and consistent. Spare the rod for awhile until he learns his basic commands, sit, stay, here & heel. Get the book and video Water Dog. I have a 9 week old I'm working with. It's alot of fun and you'll be shocked how fast they learn. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapper View Post
                  Spend as much time with him so that you can bond. He needs to trust you. Take your time be patient and consistent. Spare the rod for awhile until he learns his basic commands, sit, stay, here & heel. Get the book and video Water Dog. I have a 9 week old I'm working with. It's alot of fun and you'll be shocked how fast they learn. Good luck.
                  Building the dog's trust and becoming it's friend is top priority right now. I would wait a bit to start training, you already have a late start so a little longer wont hurt.

Comment

read "Water Dog" and get the video.

Comment

If you have the money, I would suggest a trainer. Their job is to make your dog into a retriever, and they will work her every day. If you are dead set against trainers, Water Dog is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Dog View Post
                        Get the video Water Dog. Some people will say it is outdated, but it has all you need unless you want to run field trials. Take your time, be patient.

Get the book too....Water Dog. It is a great system and will turn your hound into a much better member of the family.

I liked Game Dog better but do LOTS more dove & whitewing.

Comment

wow.. thanks for all the help guys... yeah he is used to be with other labs so right now he isnt sure what is going on...

Comment

the book water dog is great and if you don't have the time a trainer is the way to go, but you have to research and talk to several trainers about their method before you choose one. once your dog is trainer they are not only a companion but a tool and they must be treated that way. so work with the dog as much as you can and create a bond. they should want to serve you and be satisfied by your praise don't give them treats it will ruin them in my opinon. i had my dog trained last year and he is great. there is a lot that goes into it so don't get overwhelmed. good luck

Comment

Dennis,i don't want to sound negative,but i remember what happen with the puppy you got a Bownaza #3.....Remember,having a dog is alot of responsibility my friend.Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X