Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teachers/Coaches

Just a couple questions..

I'm in the process of getting my degree, but a little confused on what my major should be when I transfer to university. Ill have my associates of arts in education by end of spring semester. I've heard it's best to get my bachelors in multidisciplinary studies, I've heard secondary education, I've heard some others as well.

What do you have your degree in and what do you teach/grade level? Any advice or recommendations?

If you are going to teach Jr high or high school get it in secondary education in whatever specific area you want.

Comment

I major'd in exercise sports studies, minored in history, my teaching field...when i first got out took my test to teach history 4-8, since then have gone composite social studies to be able to teach histoey, gov., economics and geography...can also take your all level p.e. test to cover those bases...if you have any more questions and want to talk about it my cell is 254-640-2458

Comment

I have my degree in English and math.
        Minor in pe health and speech.
        Get your degree in a core class and minor in what you like.
        Then take test in as many other areas you can pass

Comment

Originally posted by pse3 View Post
          This^^^

I have a degree in Exercise Sports Science, I'm certified in History as well. I don't teach, but my entire family is in education and are coaches. When I was looking for a coaching job back in 2005, all the schools wanted/needed English, Math, and Science teachers.

Comment

Biggest decision is what age/grade level do you want to work with? Elementary, Middle school, or high school? All three require different personalities and strengths. Then think about subject areas. Highest demand is for high school science and math.

Comment

My degree is Health & Physical Education with a minor in Biology. Teaching certificate in Secondary and EC-6 (elementary) with a certification in Special Education (K-12). I now am a SEBSS (Social, Emotional, Behavioral Support Services) teacher and work in an elementary in this unit dealing with kids emotional issues everyday. There are 5 areas where a child can qualify for Special Education and with one of 13 OHI's, they qualify for my unit.
              With that being said, being in an elementary setting, I would never go to middle or high school again either as a Special ED or SEBSS teacher and not even as a teacher. There are coaching positions in every elementary so that is an option and the time spent as a coach in elementary is not near as time consuming as middle or secondary unless you want to coach on of the sports.

Comment

This! PE and Health have been pretty much been eliminated from the High Schools. History can be difficult in some districts because there are a lot of history/coaches. If you get certified in Math you can pretty much work where ever you want.
                Last edited by .270; 09-13-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Math or science and you can work and coach most anywhere like .270 said above.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                    This! PE and Health have been pretty much been eliminated from the High Schools. History can be difficult in some districts because there are a lot of history/coaches. If you get certified in Math you can pretty much work where ever you want.
                    Math, science, or special education writes you a ticket anywhere. The federal government used to forgive up $17,500 for those certificates if you taught at a title 1 school for 5 years, which isn't hard considering how many title I schools are in Texas.

I'm certified in ag science by degree, and tested for speech. Just finished my K-12 principal as of late. Still wondering if I want to use that principal certain after the week my principal had. But, I got $5K forgiven for my initial ag cert.

Comment

It sounds like you need to sit in on a few classrooms to get a feel of what you like best. Personally, I couldn't have handled junior high and stayed out of jail. Others love working at that level. Too many folks try to decide on a grade level/subject without ever trying it out. Go volunteer. Substitute. Let a couple principals know your intentions and see what they suggest. We can all tell you what we did, but that doesn't help you make up your mind as to what you should be doing.

Comment

Check out the pay scale n the dist u wanna b in first. I had a masters in a big dist for 30 yrs and barely made $60 g after 30 years.

Comment

Math, science, special ed. You will always have a job.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                            If you are going to teach Jr high or high school get it in secondary education in whatever specific area you want.
                            I agree. Thanks!

Originally posted by Mud Mule View Post
                            I major'd in exercise sports studies, minored in history, my teaching field...when i first got out took my test to teach history 4-8, since then have gone composite social studies to be able to teach histoey, gov., economics and geography...can also take your all level p.e. test to cover those bases...if you have any more questions and want to talk about it my cell is 254-640-2458
                            I will hold you up on your call offer.. Thanks!!

Math and science would be my preferred.

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                            Biggest decision is what age/grade level do you want to work with? Elementary, Middle school, or high school? All three require different personalities and strengths. Then think about subject areas. Highest demand is for high school science and math.
                            I would like to get my feet wet with jr high first, then move on to the high school ranks. Good for me that I enjoy math and science!

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                            My degree is Health & Physical Education with a minor in Biology. Teaching certificate in Secondary and EC-6 (elementary) with a certification in Special Education (K-12). I now am a SEBSS (Social, Emotional, Behavioral Support Services) teacher and work in an elementary in this unit dealing with kids emotional issues everyday. There are 5 areas where a child can qualify for Special Education and with one of 13 OHI's, they qualify for my unit.
                            With that being said, being in an elementary setting, I would never go to middle or high school again either as a Special ED or SEBSS teacher and not even as a teacher. There are coaching positions in every elementary so that is an option and the time spent as a coach in elementary is not near as time consuming as middle or secondary unless you want to coach on of the sports.
                            Im wanting to get into the coaching of high school sports. Mainly football and powerlifting.

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                            Awesome! Thank you!

Comment

Do not get certified in something just because it will get you a job. Get certified in something that you love to teach. Be a great teacher AND a great coach. Math and science are in high demand for a reason. Not everyone who can pass the test needs to be teaching these subjects. I have been at middle.school for 16 years now and love it. Started out in Texas History for 11 years and the last five have been in PE. Wouldn't do anything else. Kids these days need good men to look up to. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X