Trad shooting routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad shooting routine

Just wondering what some of y'all do out tHere...

Just purchased my first traditional bow. A 45# samick sage and love it. However, when I am shooting at a target, I find myself releasing fairly quickly. 1 maybe 2 seconds max. Groupings not terrible but could improve. It's not a deal of too much bow, just naturally want to let go quickly.

Everything else I feel comfortable with such as draw, anchor point, stance..

Any input would be great and thx ahead of time.

I've read a couple books and shoot for a little while myself. If I pause for more than a second at anchor I would honestly be surpised. It depends on how you shoot. I shoot instictively. I'm sure its different if you are gap shooting. But for the most part, as I bring the bow back the sight picture falls in to place. I don't need to pause for a long time to re adjust where I'm aiming
    It's all about comfort. You don't even necessarily have to pause at anchor to my knowledge, but be careful to reach it.
    I'm a beginner as well though. So don't think I'm an expert

Comment

I've seen good shooters who hold at anchor for several seconds and good shooters who draw and shoot almost in one motion. I think it's all the about developing a consistent rhythm with your shot routine and doing it the same way every time. When I was struggling with that it was suggested to me to spend as much time shooting up close at a blank bale as I did shooting at targets. I still do that alot and it helps tremendously to engrain a repeatable shot routine. I stay at the blank bale until each component of the draw/release feels right and my shot rhythm is consistent. Only then do I go in the yard and start trying to hit something.

Comment

Do a search on youtube videos by a guy that calls himself Mobow. He has about 7 or 8 instructional videos that show exactly how to be sure your back is engaged. Best ones I have ever seen on the subject.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          I've seen good shooters who hold at anchor for several seconds and good shooters who draw and shoot almost in one motion. I think it's all the about developing a consistent rhythm with your shot routine and doing it the same way every time. When I was struggling with that it was suggested to me to spend as much time shooting up close at a blank bale as I did shooting at targets. I still do that alot and it helps tremendously to engrain a repeatable shot routine. I stay at the blank bale until each component of the draw/release feels right and my shot rhythm is consistent. Only then do I go in the yard and start trying to hit something.
          X2!!!

Originally posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
          Do a search on youtube videos by a guy that calls himself Mobow. He has about 7 or 8 instructional videos that show exactly how to be sure your back is engaged. Best ones I have ever seen on the subject.

Wayne
          Thanks for sharing!

Comment

One objective on holding for 2 or 3 seconds is to steady the bow hand. This has been very helpful to me.

Near the end of a long session when I may be tiring and the shots are straying somewhat, a more deliberate pause in the routine will get me back on target.

A side benefit of a 2 or 3 second hold is it is good for conditioning and upper body strength.
            Last edited by JoeyF; 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Just keep shooting

Comment

This is a buddy of mine's, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6onCi414Dc#t=17. Plus I wanted to kill a couple of Texans with a guy wearing a tee shirt in snow like that. He is in the army and stationed in Alaska.

Comment

What Jerp said! I started out just like you, except I developed a dreded case of TP and felt like I'd lost control of my shot sequence. It took a lot to overcome because I'd spent so many years "perfecting" it. Basically, I did a lot of blank bale shooting where I would start out by drawing, but not releasing, just letting down, hold a little longer each time. Finally got tot he point where I added in the release. Got to the point where I could hold forever, on a blank bale. Once I added in a target and was actually trying to hit (more like not miss) a target, all of the blank bale worked helped a lot. Still had some mental issues with the TP to overcome, but finally got them worked out.
                  My advise is to learn to controll when you want/are ready to release, now! Will save a lot of heartache and work in the future.

LD

Comment

Working...
                  X