Tips for a happy marriage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for a happy marriage ?

Without going into detail, I'm really hoping I won't be a "statistic." having 2 small children complicates things even more.

For some of you seasoned veterans, what are your tricks of the trade for keeping and maintaining a healthy and happy marriage ?

anything will be helpful right now. Thanks

Church. Talk talk talk talk.

Comment

Whenever she says we need to talk, it means SHE is doing the talking. Just let it ride

Comment

happy wife = happy life Lots of work love caring and compromise and last but not least COMMUNICTION

Comment

Do not ignore her or take her for granted.

Comment

Communication. Not a seasoned veteran here, but I know from experience..

Comment

Every couple - or most couples - consistently do small things that annoy the crap out of each other. You know, those conversations that start with "I just don't see why you can't....." Well, right or wrong, maybe they just can't. Let it go - we are all made of the same crooked human timber. (You ain't near perfect either!) Don't let those little things turn into big things. Also important - watch your mouth. We know our spouses better than anyone - their weaknesses and insecurities. It is real easy in the heat of an argument to come up with a real zinger that you know will cut deep. DON'T DO IT! Saying one thing you can't take back has ruined many a relationship.

Comment

"yes dear"
                "you know what...you are right and I'm wrong"
                "please tell me what's bothering you"

Learn these magic phrases and use them often. Commit them to your subconscious memory.

J/K. Seriously, LISTEN to her and don't tune her out. Ever. It's about mutual respect as much as anything. And always, always keep God at the forefront.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Every couple - or most couples - consistently do small things that annoy the crap out of each other. You know, those conversations that start with "I just don't see why you can't....." Well, right or wrong, maybe they just can't. Let it go - we are all made of the same crooked human timber. (You ain't near perfect either!) Don't let those little things turn into big things. Also important - watch your mouth. We know our spouses better than anyone - their weaknesses and insecurities. It is real easy in the heat of an argument to come up with a real zinger that you know will cut deep. DON'T DO IT! Saying one thing you can't take back has ruined many a relationship.

I have been married since 1993 and may have done that yesterday. Going to work after less than 2 hours sleep and then when getting home getting a shot taken I told her some things I have been holding back for a long time that I should have kept inside. I let some of it out. I apologized later but women never forget. My wife has self esteem issues and I should have never said what I said although it has been eating at me for quite some time if not years. She seems ok today (this was a couple days ago) but I sense, well you veterans know what I'm talking bout. On the other hand, maybe she will get over some of her issues and thank me later.....yeah right.

Comment

get the book: "The 5 languages of Love"... that should help you.

Comment

"Happy" and "married" are a contradiction in terms.

To keep a woman happy, have yourself castrated, place
                      your testicles in a jar and put the jar on the mantle so she
                      can view them from time to time in triumph.

I've tried it twice, both good women as women go. But...
                      I wouldn't / couldn't surrender, refused to have my freedoms
                      infringed upon or taken away. Marriage - for me - was at best,
                      an enormous inconvenience and at worst, a battlefield.

I'm an old, confirmed bachelor and a happier man you'll never
                      meet.

For emphasis, I authored a thread titled "This much can be said
                      for old age..." dated September 28th of this year. I suggest that
                      you look it up.

Bob Lee

Comment

Make plenty money, give 100% and expect about 10% in return.

Thats the abbreviated version of what Ive learned in the past 12 years.

Comment

Originally posted by boblee View Post
                          "Happy" and "married" are a contradiction in terms.

To keep a woman happy, have yourself castrated, place
                          your testicles in a jar and put the jar on the mantle so she
                          can view them from time to time in triumph.

I've tried it twice, both good women as women go. But...
                          I wouldn't / couldn't surrender, refused to have my freedoms
                          infringed upon or taken away. Marriage - for me - was at best,
                          an enormous inconvenience and at worst, a battlefield.

I'm an old, confirmed bachelor and a happier man you'll never
                          meet.

For emphasis, I authored a thread titled "This much can be said
                          for old age..." dated September 28th of this year. I suggest that
                          you look it up.

Bob Lee
                          Yeah, you definetely have to give up a few things if you want to get something that you feel is more important than total autonomy and your own minute-by-minute whims. Marriage is certainly not for everybody. Reading your posts, I have a feeling that the only people happier than you are that you are single is women. I mean women in general.
                          Last edited by jerp; 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Keep God first, your spouse second, your kids third, and yourself way down the list.

Comment

The trick is always putting God first in everything you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X