Arrow making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow making

Hey y'all I'm new to trad archery and want to make some arrows any information would be much appreciated.

Wood or carbon brother

Comment

A good resource for choosing the right arrows is 3rivers spine calculator

Comment

Wood. I was thinking primitive I'm trying to go primitive on this bow.

Comment

I have a lot of pine trees around me.

Comment

Bamboo ...nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by cj long range View Post
              I have a lot of pine trees around me.

If you're not experienced, don't try to make and shoot a branch with feathers out of your bow.
              I don't know how much you know about the subject, but heres a few pointers.

1.- All arrows are selected by "spine" and spine is measured in pounds. Which is, in short term, the stiffness of the shaft.
              2.- Your spine will vary with the weight of your point and length of the arrow.
              3.- Shafts need to be straight and sealed so moister doesnt warp them.
              4.- Feathers come in different sizes and either right wing or left wing. It doesn't matter which one you choose, as long as its the same.
              5.- You can buy prefinished wood arrows or shafts online. (3rivers is a good start)
              Theres more. These are just a few quick tips.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been building up my carbon arrows for awhile now for my compound bow.
                But I just got a 30lb longbow that I wanted to try the primitive way with.

Comment

For me...arrows are a bigger deal to make than a bow...and more important too.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been building up my carbon arrows for awhile now for my compound bow.
                    Theres really not much to it. Especially if you have experience with carbons.
                    Its going to be expensive at first since you will need the dipping tubes and your quart of either poly or gasket laquer.
                    Buy raw wood shafts. Straighten, stain, seal, fletch and glue points. Thats pretty much it. It just takes a little more time than carbons.

I cant help you with arrow selection, since I dont know how a 30lb bow shoots like. But start with your draw length and maybe someone here can help.
                    A 50 pound bow doesnt necessarily shoot a 50 pound spine arrow.
                    It will have to do with tunning... point weight, arrow length and your draw length.
                    Also, not every bow shoots the same arrow. You can have 2 bows with the same poundage that shoot different arrows. your arrow needs to be tunned to your bow.

Comment

Here's a tutorial on making bamboo arrows out of garden stakes.

Bamboo Arrow Build-A-Long First go to Home Depot and buy some 72" Bamboo Plant Stakes.  They come in a 6 pack.  Buy as many as you like expecting to

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Thanks guys!
                          Good luck! Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                            Here's a tutorial on making bamboo arrows out of garden stakes.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/top...7#.VaPjMEthqgG
                            That tutorial was awesome. Thanks for posting that up!

Comment

the paleoplanet website is great, I have learned a lot on there.

Comment

Working...
                              X