Garner State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner State Park

My 11yr old daughter got drawn for Garner the 3rd and 4th of December. Anyone ever hunted out there before?

I almost had a does eat corn out of my hand around 10 years ago. That was in the summertime. I see a lot of deer every summer. I wish I could hunt garner

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew on an antler less hunt with my son when he was 10yrs old, he got a spike and I got a doe. they had blinds set up from reinforced metal with burlap, shaped like a barrel with a bucket to sit on, ( take a small chair) also a rifle rest
      for your daughter, I used a camera tripod with a V notched block of wood screwed to the top for my son , worked really well! this is a fun hunt with a kid. WE saw axis and 1 white fallow, they allowed you an exotic also, and you could bait the area but call the the park supt before you go as things could have changed sense I was there in the 90s. Met some neat folks and had a blast, even snowed while we were there! Go make some memories!

Comment

There are some nice axis deer in the park. Big axis.

Comment

went out camping this year at garner. saw tons of axis deer everywhere we went. plenty of whitetail also and saw hog tracks everywhere.

Comment

congrats! yall have fun

Comment

I got drawn for the Axis hunt on the 12th, 13th, and 14th. I can't wait!!!

Comment

You are one lucky man. I've been Tryn for years. We have a house 4 miles from garner just got home from there. You will have a great time and see many animals

Comment

Camped up on top of the hill by the lake. Deer and hog sign abounded.

Comment

Thanks Shane, I have been putting in every year also, got lucky this year I guess!

Comment

Drew a bad blind, but she still got an axis spike this morning early. One girl last night in the camp grounds on the south end shot a buck, a doe, and an axis spike by 3:45 and we got in stands at 3pm...

We hunted near the entrance saw an 8pt just at the ears Saturday night and let it walk since they said 8 pts or better and 13" inside and Warden stipulated he wanted them OUTSIDE the ears. Girl above went home last night because she shot a 7pt with an 8 inch spread.

This morning about 9:30 I saw two spikes come running towards out area from the highway. Told Maggs to get her gun up since they were going to cross about a 120yds out. Told her if they didn't stop to hold in front of the shoulder and squeeze. About half way through our shooting zone one stopped. She stuck a .223 barnes through lungs, heart and offside shoulder.

I may go back and try to stand by in morning, can't decide. I haven't shot a deer with a rifle in alot of years and really don't care to. But they do not allow archery at all. But I wouldn't mind another axis or two in the freezer...

If you take your kids they hunt pop-ups, take them a rest. I used a camera tripod with sandbag on top.

The Warden out there is a top notch guy. He took alot of time to teach the kiddos stuff. Said they stopped doing bowhunts there because the last group he asked them to hit a 3" x 5" index card taped to a target at 22yds and not one hunter could do it... Man from the roof of a shelter I could have filled the freezer with axis deer Saturday afternoon. Literally saw over a hundred in one area.

Comment

Axis!

Comment

Good to hear they are doing ya right out there. Lived on that park for 7 years. Plenty of game for sure!

Comment

Working...
                          X