1954 Chevy - Restore...somewhat DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1954 Chevy - Restore...somewhat DIY

The day I turned 16 I drove my 1954 Chevy out of the body shop with brand new red paint job. Added rims and tires and had one if the coolest trucks in high school - in about 1994 or 95 the old 235 straight 6 blew and I decided it was time for big changes. Bought a 1978 camero that was running and solid and hotrod it around farm until almost wrecking it into a creek taking a pasture about 80 and hydroplainng about 50 yrds into brush
    Took it home that day and stripped it down to subframe which is why I purchased it. Took it to local custom shop and had subframe installed - giving power steering, v8, independent suspension to old red - after doing all that - never finished it nor drove it on hwy again. Found a different truck - full size chevy extended cab - slammed to ground w tons of custom work and again had coolest truck in HS. Old red was left out in the field

Marriage
    Kids
    Built house
    .......all took priority but along way I picked up another 54 Chevy for parts for under a grand that was solid

Then found a 5 window 54 Chevy that was solid for like $400 -purchased it also.

So then there were 3. I have enough parts to put together two solid trucks but focus right now is just one. Trey wants black- I want red again
    We will see who wins on first truck

So here is where we are. After watching all the gas monkey, and ricks restoration, etc I can stand knowing ol red is sitting - it's time!

First project will be bring over 5 window truck and remove cab, see what all it's going to need to get that cab back alive - probably cut and weld new corners(common rot) fill firewall holes, clutch holes, etc. Some I can do some I can't - find good guy to do some work

Phase 2 will be get old red over and take everything off to frame. It's already the one that has camaro subframe- rebuild suspension, new rearend probably(has old car rearend under it now )

As of this second my intensions are build a solid dependable ride again without going crazy $$$$$. We will see if that can be done. Not wanting a rat rod but not a "show" truck either.

So- today we begin!

This is how they sit today

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390053466.169320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24280282

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390053485.783020.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	24280283

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390053503.650247.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	24280284

The goal-

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390053535.167732.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	24280285

Comment

Sounds like fun!! I just agreed to purchase a 49 Chevrolet PU from a friend over here. I have a motor and tranny ready for it. I will definitely follow along with your progress. Is that old rearend 12bolt or 10bolt?

Man, that truck is nice. Good luck on the restore. Don't let it discourage you and keep that pic of the finished product posted!!!

Comment

Watching!

Comment

I'll check rear ends. One is out of a jag. None of the 3 have original - it's out by hay pin with trees grown all around it

Comment

Watching!

Good luck with it!

Comment

I am going for this look. Nothing too fancy.

Name:	49-chevrolet-pick-up-20-foose-forged.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	24280287

Comment

Have a 51 I'm gonna eventually do

Comment

Awesome! Following!!

Comment

Boy thats going to be fun!!! Ive built a few old skol vw's but my dream truck is a 51 f100. My dad had one that was canary yellow when I was a kid!!

Comment

I had a 58 in high school that I wished I still had, I've been mulling over building somthing this may get me started.

Comment

Good luck. Tuned in

Comment

Originally posted by Chef View Post
                          Boy thats going to be fun!!! Ive built a few old skol vw's but my dream truck is a 51 f100. My dad had one that was canary yellow when I was a kid!!
                          I believe I know where one is sitting, if still there, in cleburne.

Comment

This will be great to watch!

Comment

This is gonna be cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X