Another tundra question ...bed length.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another tundra question ...bed length.

I am gonna be in the market for another truck in the near future. I am liking the reviews on the toyota tundras...However,

to get a 6.5' bed, you give up inside legroom in backseat. Double cab vs. Crewmax For y'all that have a tundra, is the 5.5' bed usable? When I go on hunting trips(public lands) I don't pack light.

Also... the smaller cab...does it accomodate a car seat ... for the grandson?

Figured I'd ask the green screen before the sales tactics by the salesman.

If all you need the space for is occasional kid seat the smaller cab is fine. I have crewmax just cause I have two young kids in seats and my bed is usable. My buddy has the smaller cab and I’ve been in the back seat comfortably on a 4 hr trip and I’m 6’4. You’ll find more options in the crew cab and short bed though since those are the most popular

Comment

I asked this question to a few TBHers who have the double cab as well since I will be in the market for a 1/2 ton in the near future. 98% of my driving is two adults or less....including most of my lease trips. Dove hunts and the occasional three person doe hunt at the end of season are the only times I see more than two folks. I sure would like a longer bed so the double cab intrigued me.

All three said that the double cab was fine in the backseat for longer trips of 4-5 hours. If an adult can travel back there I would think a car seat would.

Comment

If you're by yourself or just one other person, nothing says you can't use the back seat for storage on a trip. I have a tool box in the bed of mine and two small boys and we make several long trips a year with everything we need. If space really becomes a problem, I'll hook up to a trailer, but I'm usually hauling a utv anyways, so I've never had a problem with finding a place to store something.

Comment

If I got a half ton it would be the tundra double cab with 8’ bed.
          There is plenty of room in the back for a car seat.

Comment

The double cab back seat is more roomy than the typical double/extended cab.

That being said, I have a Crewmax and I don’t have any issues or regrets. Resale is better and the room is better, as well as more options.

I am about to put a topper on mine with overhead storage and will be more than enough room for any big outing I have. Plus the Crewmax rear window rolls all the way down. In the few instances I’ve had to haul some long PVC joints or lumber, I roll the rear window all the way down and slide it through.

Comment

I know you said tundra, but I have an f150 with the 5.5’ bed and was super worried when I first bought it...

Over time I think I’ve just learned to pack different and I put a lot more stuff in the cab. For 95% of the time it’s great..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought they offered the crew in a 6.5 but like Ford & Chevy you almost have to special order one as no dealers seem to stock what is a better option on the 1/2 ton.

I had a crew 6.5 on my former oil patch ford & it was great having the extra space with the toolbox, but I opted for the Roll & Lock cover on the Tundra & it's working out fine.

I really don't understand why dealers don't stock more of these crew 6.5's...looks more balanced imo as well.

Comment

Double cab is fine as long as your back seat passengers aren’t giants.

Comment

thanx folks,

an 8' bed is an option. Haven't had one in a long time. I will ask if I can build a 6.5' crewmax. I didn't think they were an option but maybe. I have an old dodge 4 door so I am kinda used to not much back seat room. Would like a little more though...

Comment

Let us know about the 6.5 crew max because I have not seen that available.

Comment

I have the crew max because of kids. When I go on a trip, I fold the seats up and get lots of room for packing. That being said, the 8’ bed of the double cab is a lot of room for gear.

Comment

I’ve got the double cab and will never go back to crew max. Plenty of room in back seat and call haul a 4 wheeler in the back and shut the tailgate. I like the extra room in the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Let us know about the 6.5 crew max because I have not seen that available.
                            I went through the build process and a 6.5' bed was not an option on any of the configurations I tried for the crew max, only the double cab. drats.

Comment

I prefer the double cab. I had the double cab and my Dad has the Crewmax. Rather have the bed space and the back seat is as big as lots of other brand crew cab trucks. Unless you ride people over 6' in back regularly I would go with Double cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X