Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 04-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching
Default Shooting to fatigue.

With the new heavier bow on the way I've been outside shooting until my back/shoulders/wrists are just exhausted. I shot 41 times tonight with the 45lb bow, draw to anchor and hold for a count of "ten Mississippi", then release, before I was shaking too badly to hit a 6" pie plate at 15 yards. Put that one away and pulled out the 35lb Sage and did another 57 shots before I was fighting pain in between my shoulder blades and shaking so badly I could barely hit the backstop. I'll be sore tomorrow but have made some gains. Form is solid, anchor is great.

My plan is once that 60lb Grizzly gets here I'll be able to at least draw it to anchor, once. I'll not insult Fred Bear by owning one of his bows that I can't draw. You've got to honor your hero's in any way you can. I'll honor that man by being able to at least draw a bow he envisioned/created.

/tired and sore Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I'd take it easy at first for sure. Is that 45lb bow the heaviest bow you've shot so far?
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Sell the 60lb bow once you get it is my advice. 45 to 60 is a HUGE unnecessary jump. You will do nothing but hurt your form and progress. JMO
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Don't develop form issues over it.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

take it easy, shooting that much only creates bad shooting habits, develops unnecessary tendinitis, and so forth, quality practice will out shine quantity any day of the week, take your time, smooth draws, aim, analyze the process , take notes and don't get frustrated...keep shooting 35-40# bows, no reason to shoot 60#, might as well sell it, or keep it for 5-10 years down the road, because without proper coaching or technique it will take you that long to shoot a 60# bow
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Dkincaid
Six Point

Just take your time and enjoy the sport

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Greyman
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the animals hide

45 to 60 is a big jump, take it slow. I don't subscribe to the thought that 60 is too much, Personally I would hit the gym: weight bench and start doing some bench press work and maybe some rowing/straight pulls with the cables. hell pushups will do you good to build strength. I got into trad back in 07 and started with a 55 lb Grizzly, every body told me I would develop bad form. I am naturally a stout guy so It took me a few months and I was shooting it quite well. Most all of my bows are 60 or higher, I just like a heavier bow. I got off work early today and actually got out my SK and shot it for awhile, that bow is 65lbs. Post up some pics Richard I have 3 grizzlies myself.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
gatorgar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: everywhere and anywhere you invite me to :)

Don't try to strengthen up with a bow. Instead hit the weights.
I shoot low to mid 50, but can also shoot 60+ quiet well. Do your push-ups and bench presses. Strengthen your back and shoulders. Shoot that Grizzly only a couple times a day, no more than 6 shots and you'll be on it sooner than you think.
BTW, there is a video of me shooting a 110# longbow on here somewhere, so I've shot heavy and always return to my 50's

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
gatorgar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #9
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

They are building 50# bows now that shoot like the 60# bows of yesteryear. A good example is the 50# Whippenstick Phoenix that is listed on Archery Talk. That one used to be mine so I know from first hand experience. Limb angle, materials, and limb design along with better strings have made it possible to not have to pull as much weight to get the performance. You do remember that you need to find a few heavy arrows for the heavy Grizzly. I would recommend something in the 550 grain range for starters.
60 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #10
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

Listen to Gatorgar. It is not worth hurting yourself. If you can't pull it comfortably hang it on the wall or sell to someone else. Remember the objective is hitting the intended target with the arrow.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #11
Junkers88
Ten Point

Thank you all for the advice. I'll for sure take my time with this one. I do have some arrows that I'll use for it already. 620g CE Heritage 250's that I can't shoot out of my lighter bows but I think will work fine to start with.

Richard.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
tom125446
Six Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

I have a different goal, but thought I'd share a link to what I think has helped improve my strength (when I do it): http://www.bowhunter.com/bow-fitness...or-bowhunters/.

I've had two surgeries on one shoulder, one on the other. I'm pulling sixty pounds on the compound right now, but I want to be drawing more.
tom125446 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #13
Featherflinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker, Wise, Throckmorton

If you get that 60# bow and can't handle it just send it my way
Featherflinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #14
Cottonwood
Ten Point

Hunt In: NW Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
They are building 50# bows now that shoot like the 60# bows of yesteryear. A good example is the 50# Whippenstick Phoenix that is listed on Archery Talk. That one used to be mine so I know from first hand experience. Limb angle, materials, and limb design along with better strings have made it possible to not have to pull as much weight to get the performance. You do remember that you need to find a few heavy arrows for the heavy Grizzly. I would recommend something in the 550 grain range for starters.
I just looked at one of these.... talk about beautiful bows.
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #15
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Shoot what you want but I feel like giving some advice tonight. While your shooting to fatigue, get about 75% to where you'd call fatigued. Fling a broadhead or maybe just a bare shaft. That will show just how bad your form has slipped. Your brain is taking photographs of every shot and trying to learn. Like said above, practice is all about quality. Not trying to be offensive but end the night on a good shot. You can't do that beat to death. I would just slowly get into the heavier bow. Shoot a few shots with it every night while you practice with what you can handle. And good luck to you brother.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I have been giving this a little thought. When I switched from 40# to 50# I did so with new limbs. I wasn't about to swap them back and forth, so I just jumped in. The first day, I shot maybe 10 shots... within a couple weeks it got easier. But once the strength was there, I needed to work on form again.

Now, how would I do it now? I think I might try incorporating the heavier bow using interval training.

Something like every 5th shot, do a shot with the heavy bow. Then over time decrease the rest between (like every 4th, 3rd, other, etc.) If you cant hold good form, stop, no matter how many shots.

The idea is you are carrying over good form.

I bet 60# is not your 1 rep max... maybe 3 or 4 reps with good form...

It will take you few weeks before you will get to where you can tune, so "blind bale" those heavy bow shots.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #17
Junkers88
Ten Point

Lots of really really good advice here and I thank you all for it. Yes a 45lb bow is the heaviest I've drawn and shot so far. I've picked up my weights again and am doing sets of rows during work along with my usual situps and pushups every hour (I have to maintain a certain level of fitness to remain employed with the Air Force). As far as blind bale or blank bale shooting goes I've started blank bale shooting with my current bow with the pure goal of focusing on form over everything else. I've got to make sure my mind has an accurate imprint of what my form should be so that I know how it's supposed to feel when I pull the bigger bow. It does make me take far fewer shots and I'm taking 60 seconds of rest between. I still get sore and tired but I've take your advice and stopped before I'm physically "shot". I'm shooting at a mere 10 yards while doing this as right now form takes precedence over distance or accuracy. A nice side not is that my back tension is finally starting to manifest itself and my release is getting cleaner and more crisp. Heck I even stopped hitting myself in the face with the string!

Thank you all for the advice and kind words (I even appreciate your offers to take the bigger bow off my hands when it kicks my butt). I truly appreciate being able to drag you all along on this little quest to shoot a 60lb recurve.

Richard.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #18
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I've been known to wear a band-aid on my nose before...when I shot 3 under. You really lose a lot of swagger with that band-aid.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #19
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Believe me, before you get that s tring pulled back all the way, form will not be a matter of importance. If and when you get it pulled back you can attempt to salvage some form but you are going to have to hurry because that bow is going to want to shoot and you are going to want to let go of that string asap.
60 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #20
Junkers88
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
Believe me, before you get that s tring pulled back all the way, form will not be a matter of importance. If and when you get it pulled back you can attempt to salvage some form but you are going to have to hurry because that bow is going to want to shoot and you are going to want to let go of that string asap.
It's funny that you say that. I've got a buddy here that shoots a 60lb compound and the one and only time he pulled my 45lb recurve back he said "man I just had to let it go, that thing is a pain to hold at full draw.". I'm guessing I'll feel the same way on the 60.

Richard.