A question about variation in arrow flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about variation in arrow flight

I am confused... I have two bows by the same manufacturer in the same poundage, but one is a recurve and the other a longbow. One is 62"ATA and the other is 64". Shooting the same arrows, with the same draw length, the longbow shoots best with cock feather in, and the recurve shoots best with cock feather out. I have a third recurve by the same maker but shorter ATA and less pounds. It too is a cock feather out bow.

So, what makes one like one orientation and the other like a different orientation? What dynamic is at work? Same poundage, same draw length, same arrows, but different preference?

Todd

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Ihnfi. However I want to know why you can say cock feather on tapatalk but not posting direct on the.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate to say this, but it is a tuning issue.

When you get the tune right, it doesn't make any difference whether it is cock fletch in or out, although cock fletch "IN" will generally be more forgiving.

I doubt the longbow is cut as far past center as the recurve, so it will need a different arrow setup. Maybe as simple as a heavier point. Longbows seldom shoot as stiff of an arrow as a recurve at the same draw weight.

For that matter, two identical bows can, and often do require a bit different tune, or arrow setup. It's almost impossible to get true identical, and when it happens it's accidental.

Rick

Comment

I think Mr. Barbee hit it on the head.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you get lucky and two different bows will shoot the same arrow perfectly... That happened to me once. Their specs were different though.

Like Rick said, it doesn't matter that the draw length/weight is the same or that the manufacturer is the same. There are too many variables (cut out vs center, riser height, grip, string, actual draw weight at your draw, shelf shape, brace height, etc.)

Comment

This thread got me wondering so today I shot my arrows both ways and I couldn't tell a difference in arrow flight or impact point.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              This thread got me wondering so today I shot my arrows both ways and I couldn't tell a difference in arrow flight or impact point.

That's how it should be. It means you are well tuned, and are executing pretty good form, but the cock fletch in will be more forgiving to those occasional breakdowns in form.

Rick

Comment

That's what I hoped. But I was pretty sure it was just luck.

Comment

Keeping these two things in mind:

1 - The arrow (along with the string) moves away from the bow in the direction of the yellow arrows at release, and when properly tuned the arrow passes the bow to the outside. This lateral movement is due to the string roll off the fingers, as well as the flexing of the shaft

2 - The arrow does not start rotation until well past the bow. Usually 5 ft or farther depending on fletch type, and degree off offset & helical.

Study this picture. It should be obvious which orientation has the best chance for clearance.

Rick

Comment

Picture
                    Attached Files

Comment

So you only have to clear one fleching vs two and just at 90 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        So you only have to clear one fleching vs two and just at 90 degrees.

Unless your arrows are extremely stiff, the bottom hen feather is usually the only one to make contact (if it does), but turning cock feather in gives it a much better chance to clear, and the cock feather has to move very little to clear.

It isn't as critical with feathers as it is with vanes, but even the slightest contact has some impact on arrow flight, so I want to give them all the chance they can get to get a clean pass.

Rick

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X