Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heckler & Koch 416 D tactical .22lr (long....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heckler & Koch 416 D tactical .22lr (long....)

I just picked this up 2 weeks ago and got to take it out today. What a blast!!!

Here is a quick low down on the rifle from hk22rimfire.com

“The .22 caliber HK 416 is loaded with authentic features. From its appearance, feel, and operation, right down to the sling swivel incorporated into the stock, the 416 D145RS is a replica in every sense.
    Like all the .22LR H&Ks offered by Umarex, the 416 is a dedicated .22 rim-fire rifle. It is engineered and built in Germany by Carl Walther with a match grade precision barrel, upper and lower metal receivers, a retractable stock, and a machined rail interface system. The 416’s pistol grip and butt-stock are authentic in that they include storage
    compartments for small tools or batteries. The magazines for the .22 caliber 416 are made of high-strength polymer and are designed to make loading simple and efficient. They’re available in either a 20- or 10-round version.

The .22 caliber HK 416 D145RS operates on a blow-back system. The dust cover functions and the bolt holds open when the magazine empties. Its sights are on-rail and the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Its safety selector rotates 90 degrees from ‘On Safe’ to ‘Fire’. Take down for basic cleaning is simple—there are no loose parts. Just remove the rear receiver pin and pivot the upper receiver to open.

Caliber .22 L.R.
    Capacity 10 or 20 rds
    Mode of Fire Semi-Auto
    Barrel Length 16.1 in (410 mm)
    Barrel Twist 1 in 13-3/4 in
    Rifling Grooves 6
    Rifling Length 13.78 in (350 mm)
    Front Sight Fixed - Removable Post
    Rear Sight Adjustable - Windage & Elevation
    Overall Length 32.75-35.25 in (830-895 mm)
    Overall Height 11.4 in (290 mm) with mag.
    Overall Width 3 in (75 mm)
    Stock Style Adj. Telestock
    Trigger Type Single-stage
    Trigger Pull 6.6-9.9 lbs
    Safety Type Manual
    Principal of
    Operation Blow-back
    Muzzle Thread M8x.75
    Length of Pull 11.5-14.625 in (290-370 mm)
    Sight Radius 13.5 in (345 mm)
    Diameter Rear
    Sight Aperture .1 / .12 / 0.14 / 0.24 in
    Front Sight
    Width .06 in (1.5 mm)
    Weight w/out
    Mag 6.75 lbs (3100 g)
    Weight of empty
    Mag-20 rd 6.8 oz (190 g)

Here is my review.

The HK 416 D was unfired when I received it. I assume the factory test fires them though no acknowledgment of that is made nor is there a test fired shell in the box. It did come in a nice sturdy cardboard box. If they can't throw in a plastic rifle case with a purchase, at least this box is well engineered. There are a number of accessories, including an authentic looking threaded suppressor-style compensator, red dot sights, flip-up sights, laser, etc., that are available as well as 10, 20 & 30 round mags. Some things that function on an AR are simply cosmetic on this rifle, such as the bolt catch lever and the forward assist. Think about that last one and rim-fire ammo. Hmmm........

I have no previous experience with AR style .22's, having grown up using semi-auto's like my Remington Nylon 66, Marlin model 60, and later the tank-like Ruger 10/22. I do have AR15's and was really curious as to how the HK design would translate over to a rim-fire rifle of that design. Previously the only tactical .22 I've seen up close was a GSG MP style rifle. HK sued them and has introduced their own licensed version of the MP5 in .22

Upon opening the box, I was immediately struck with how realistic and business like this little .22 rifle is. I kept saying little all day, but only because I'm used to shooting my AR10 in .308 lately and the HK is like a feather in my hands. And I say realistic almost like I was expecting something more 'toy' like. There is nothing about this gun that says toy. Obviously any real gun is never to be considered as such, but still in the back of my mind I thought there would be much more plastic.

First off, the exterior finish on the gun is more than I expected. I've seen factory AR15's where the uppers and lowers didn't match as well the ones on my HK. Identifying info was etched/engraved into the receiver and painted white, with the exception of the fire control selector, which is painted red to indicate that the safety is off. Now this is a feature that I really like to see on AR style rifles and none of the 4 factory rifles I own came this way (2 RRA, 1 Bushmaster, 1 R25) I like it so much I'm having the others, except the R25, done. The quad rails on the HK are sharp and I would recommend some rail ladders/panels for sections where optics or accessories won't be mounted. There are no options when it comes to changing the quad rail. It is an integral part of the gun and cannot be swapped out like the hand guards/forearms of AR style rifles.

Speaking of the rail, the upper is continuous and this eliminates the gap between the flat top upper and hand guards/quad rails seen in most M4 style carbines. Very similar in appearance to MRP AR's. The only thing that could have been engineered better is the location of the Allen screw that is used to secure the quad rails to the rifle. It's location on the right hand side of the rail, forward of the mag well, is right where the pinky or ring finger (on the left hand) of a right handed shooter would be. Also, since the screw protrudes out a bit, there was some interference with mounting the rail panels on that side. I go into that more with a solution and some photos.

The fit of the upper and lower was excellent. I've had Bushmaster AR's that didn't have such tight tolerances. No slop at all. The stock is a winner too. Not only do I like the design, which is slightly different than the average 6-position collapsible stock, but the storage compartments are a nice extra I did not expect to find on a $500 .22 and will be used to carry extra batteries for the red dot I have mounted on it. The convex configuration of the butt-pad itself is interesting too. Still growing on me, but comfortable and really locks into place in the shoulder. The non-slip material is a great feature too. Anyone familiar with the operation of an AR will be completely at home shouldering and firing this weapon.

And now to the firing part. I outfitted the HK with Primary Arms M4 clone red dot sight, ProMag rail panels and a ProMag bipod. The bipod was removed after the range time and will be replaced with a Mako T-POD fore-grip/bipod combo soon. I have a 360 lumen weapon light I am switching over to the HK as soon as I get another one for the AR15 it's coming off of. (this light and red dot combo have been a coon killer on my 5.56)

After doing some research on ammo, I settled on CCI's AR Tactical .22LR 40gr. load pushing 1,200 fps. It was specifically designed to be used in AR style .22LR rifles. It's supposed to be very clean burning. I grew up shooting cases of Remington Thunderbolts and cleaning filthy .22's so that is a plus for me. The scope was zeroed at 50 yards (per CCI's recommendation) which gives it exactly 6” of drop at 100 yards. These rounds are copper jacketed to reduce lead fouling. I've read some negative things about using coated bullets, and I was very pleased with the accuracy I got today, so this will be my round of choice until I go with a subsonic load to be used after I acquire a suppressor for the rifle. A decent silencer for the .22 can be had for $250 (add another $200 for the tax stamp and that's still cheaper than a can for my 5.56 or .308)

After adding the rail panels, bipod and scope, I laser bore sighted the rifle at my place and headed out to sling some lead at the lease. I was shooting off the back of my truck while breaking the barrel in. I find it less hassle to have all that cleaning stuff on my tailgate as opposed to a bench at the gun range. I laser ranged the target at 65 yards. Time was just after 2PM and I had checked NOAA's web site for the weather before leaving. 10 to 15 mph winds with gusts to 25. I loaded the magazine, which is extremely quick and easy to do, popped it in the mag well, drew the charging handle back and let it go. It’s all very smooth and just like any other AR. The only differences are how easy it is to pull the charging handle and the short distance it travels.

At 65 yards I had to adjust the 2 MOA dot's size so it didn't obscure the target in the scope. I put the 1st one high, right on the edge of the 8/9 ring, then continued making windage/elevation adjustments. I didn't need to finish the 20 round clip. Shots 15, 16 & 17 were in the bull so it was off to the Bracken rifle & pistol range to put some rounds on paper and finish dialing in the scope. I have yet to use the factory iron sights, but they are like other HK style long gun sights and seem more than adequate for the ranges of the .22LR I will however, dial them in at 50 yards as well, so that in the event that the red dot scope is damaged or I go through 3 batteries in a single zombie killing rampage, I can still put some rounds in the X-ring.

I set up on the 50 yard range at Bracken and finished sighting in the HK. The range was busy, and the little gun got a lot of close looks during the halts that were called on the firing line for target replacement. The gun functioned flawlessly with no FTF's, cycling issues or ejection problems. The rifle does offer the ability to adjust the bolt speed to match specific .22 ammo, but shouldn't need adjustment for operating using most factory ammo. True to it's AR style design, the semi-auto action and the butt-stock combined to soak up the nearly non-existent recoil of the .22LR cartridge. The HK 416 D is an absolute pleasure to shoot and was extremely accurate using the 40gr CCI AR-22 ammo.

Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me for the field tests and could not wait for the next round of target changes at Bracken to give me the chance to grab my target for a few close up pics. I did take one with my phone's camera looking through my spotting scope, but failed miserably at saving it to my phone so I could post it up. It's too bad, it came out pretty clear. There was very little of the bulls-eye left, I had nearly shot it all out using 83 rounds. The target in the photos is the first one at 65 yards.

Over all, I am very impressed with the quality and value of the little HK. If it lasts as long as my Nylon 66 or Model 60, I will have hundreds of new memories of plinkin' with a .22 Only now I will be doing it 'black rifle' style at a fraction of the cost of a day at the range with the 5.56

Future plans for it include a Mako T-POD, RPG 22 suppressor, PA 360 lumen weapons light, PA Deluxe 3X magnifier with flip to side mount, and a sling. It will be a 'coon killing weapon of mass destruction......

Here you can see my solution to the Allen screw. placement issue.
    A drill and a circular file and you're good to go.

sweet lookin' ride amigo , thx for the review and pixels

Comment

wWOW! I want one

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        sweet lookin' ride amigo , thx for the review and pixels
        I got tired of shooting coons with my .308 Those Barnes bullets are exspensive! I've got recent pics of 7 of those little corn thieves at once hitting my hog pipe. They're in for it now.

Comment

Nice But that has to in the top 10 longest post's

Comment

Originally posted by Michael David View Post
            Nice But that has to in the top 10 longest post's
            A friend had asked me to write a review for his internet hunting/fishing/firearms show. I should have edited it from the longer version he wanted.

Comment

Sorry, my a.d.d kicked in. Lol
              Awesome gun. How much do they run for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac... View Post
                Sorry, my a.d.d kicked in. Lol
                Awesome gun. How much do they run for?
                I picked this up brand new for $500.

Comment

I love HK products

Comment

Where'd you get it, and could you put the upper on a different lower if you wanted to? Thanks

Comment

That is sweet,

Comment

Is this available in .22 mag, .17 HMR, or .17 Mach 2 ?

Comment

Sweet riflle for sure

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                            Is this available in .22 mag, .17 HMR, or .17 Mach 2 ?
                            anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                              anybody?
                              Sorry,

Been away from the green screen for a bit.

To answer some questions, this gun is a dedicated .22 rimfire rifle. You cannot swap out the uppers like you would for a .22 conversion kit on an AR15/M4 lower.

As to the other calibers, I looked on the manufacturers website as well as the distributor and they don't offer it in any but .22lr

But I did score a cool little toy for it before the weekend........

Comment

Working...
                              X