reduced youth 243 load help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reduced youth 243 load help

ive been handloading for years, various calibers including the 243. I have a friends young little man, 8 year old, that I took last year and he was successful in killing his first deer with my AR 223. this year he received a youth model 243 for his birthday and he wants to hunt with it. the rifle will be set in a bog pod rifle rest system for stability. my concern is recoil. I have several good loads for the 243 and was considering picking one with a faster powder burn rate and reducing it. my question is, what is a recommended percentage to reduce to safely? this boys shots will be under 50 yards.

Hornady makes a reduced recoil load in .243. I think it's an 87gr SST.

Comment

I load some 85 grain Sierra HPBT over IMR-4350 in my 243. I have not shot a deer with it yet, but those bullets come highly recommended from quite a few people on TBH. They shoot really well in my rifle, you could probably just try some loads on the lower end.

Comment

Use the Hogdgon 60% rule for H4895 and you will find a good load.

Comment

H4895 is the way to go.

Call up Hodgdon on the phone, and talk to the guys in the technical department. They will help you with a load for the bullet you choose.

One thing to be wary of when making reduced loads, is not having enough velocity for the bullet to perform as it should.

Again, call up the nice folks at Hodgdon, and talk it over with their professionals.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
            One thing to be wary of when making reduced loads, is not having enough velocity for the bullet to perform as it should.
            That was something I meant to add. Make sure your bullet choice will perform at the velocity you load to. But, you said you have been loading for years so you most likely know that.

Comment

no expert but my 9 year old daughter had this issue. We use normal factory loads and I bought her a clamp on muzzle break that was made for her gun. Other then being louder then all get up now she said it kicked like her 22. Her fist dear that year was a 190 yard heart shot. That was just 2 years ago now we are getting her bow ready for next weeks opener she is going after her first bow kill.

Comment

I shot my first deer at 8 years old with .243, have him shoot regular off the shelf and if it scares him (should not hurt) then try lighter loads.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                  Hornady makes a reduced recoil load in .243. I think it's an 87gr SST.

You might try these before going to the trouble of loading your own. In my sons 243 I can't reload anything more accurate than these are. One hole 5 shot groups at 100.

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                  Use the Hogdgon 60% rule for H4895 and you will find a good load.
                  Or this, I have used this for some larger calibers with good success.

Comment

Working...
                  X